sethos

Who watches ...

Alan Moore will actually hang himself.

I'm sure he's as emotionally detached as one can attempt to be about half arsed adaptations of medium defining work, but Watchmen?- That would be the last straw. :excl:

Still the world did not end when Sly remade Get Carter :o or when Red Dragon cannabalised Manhunter. :mad:

Perhaps it wont end either, when I purchase a Watchmen Burger combo from Burger King. :sad:

You should read Watchmen, hagren. Occasionally I find myself thinking that it's slightly overrated, but since it's frequently hailed as "the best comic ever", that's not saying much. It's still brilliant, one of the best things Moore's written, and a milestone in the history of graphic storytelling. Everyone should read it.

Occasionally I find myself thinking that it's slightly overrated, but since it's frequently hailed as "the best comic ever", that's not saying much.

I second you on that, but it only takes a couple of pages, especially when you're familair with how the images are linked in later issues, to wipe away that feeling.

Zack Snyder of Dawn of the Dead remake fame is apparently going to direct Watchmen now.  Haven't seen Dawn of the Dead remake myself,  but I guess it doesn't really matter who directs it,  they'll mess it up anyway.

The remake's pretty good and the direction is solid but this IS going to be fucking awful and an utter travesty.

Still, I expect it'll get the same reaction that LoEG had - lots of reviewers talking about how shit the film is, but falling over themselves to recommend the comic.

I cannot fathom for the life of me how Watchmen can be filmed live action.

And whenever I feel that the GN is overrated, I reread it and then self-flagellate to express my penitence.

I think it is basically unfilmable as it is impossible to capture the essence of it in any other form that that for which is was written.

They will no doubt be able to get the basic story on celluloid but what makes the comic so great will almost certainly be lost.

They will no doubt be able to get the basic story on celluloid but what makes the comic so great will almost certainly be lost.

Hell, I'm not even entirely sure about that! What about Dr Manhattan?? But yeah, I suppose SFX these days can achieve anything. Still, though........

I can't see anything about Doctor Manhattan which would cause more than a few moments' work for modern SFX, really. It'd be pretty basic stuff.

Of course, I'm also firmly in the "it's inherently unfilmable" camp. As Inca says, you could make a reasonable stab at putting most of the bare-bones story on the screen, but since that's a relatively small part of what makes Watchmen good enough, and significant enough, to be worth adapting in the first place, why bother?

I can't see anything about Doctor Manhattan which would cause more than a few moments' work for modern SFX, really. It'd be pretty basic stuff.

I don't think it's a matter of complexity so much as it is a matter of expense. If you have SFX for each one of Manhattan's scenes (they were suggesting using a blue glow to hide his nads and CGI to whiten his eyes) then it means that you're having to use CGI for every single scene that he's in - and that would add up.

Of course, I'm also firmly in the "it's inherently unfilmable" camp. As Inca says, you could make a reasonable stab at putting most of the bare-bones story on the screen, but since that's a relatively small part of what makes Watchmen good enough, and significant enough, to be worth adapting in the first place, why bother?

Well what I meant was not so much that modern SFX can't technically pull it off but that the character looks somewhat.....unusual. I don't know how well that look would fly in a live action film, blue glow round the nads or not. But then again they could just redesign the character and that would be it. It's a minor issue compared to the other more textually significant reasons that the comic is unfilmable.

Underpants! Fucking underpants!

But that would totally undermine all that is great about Watchmen. The blue nads need to be seen. :lol:

Underpants! Fucking underpants!

But that would totally undermine all that is great about Watchmen. The blue nads need to be seen. :lol:

Damn you Inca, I was drinking coffee when I read that and I nearly ruined a keyboard whilst laughing....

Scarily here I believe Watchman could be turned into a great film.

But not by Hollywood as we know it.

There are Director equivalents to Alan Moore.

As I have tirelessly posted, you would have to reatomise it and build it up again within the film meduim.

It was designed as acomic book specifically.

Most of it's mechanics are unfilmable.

You could not have the little kid reading the pirate comic, you would have to achieve that intertextuality somehow else.

Via a TV show or something.

Personally it's all achievable (that said even Gilliam had to change the ending), it's just that simply Hollywood will not allow it.

Perhaps Julio Medem directing with James Cameron incharge of special effects.

As I have tirelessly posted, you would have to reatomise it and build it up again within the film meduim.

But half of the point of Watchmen was that it was exploring the possibilities of the medium. If you take away that, you take away a big part of what makes it such a damned good book.

Precisely - you could make a film which did similar things to the conventions of cinematic narrative (a few people have, in fact, and they're among my favourite films), but it would, by necessity, have to be a totally different story. Even the basic plot of Watchmen, and definitely the characters, are explicitly and deliberately used to reflect back on various elements taken from the entire history of superhero comics - they wouldn't serve anything like the same function in a filmed version of the story, without adapting the whole thing to the point where, really, you'd be better off just making up your own damn story.

But half of the point of Watchmen was that it was exploring the possibilities of the medium. If you take away that, you take away a big part of what makes it such a damned good book.

I'd have said that was more than half of the point, myself.

Rohne, wasn't the script for the Gilliam version by the tonk who wrote the first Tim Burton Batman, rather than Gilliam himself? (I recall seeing him quoted somewhere saying that the end of the comic didn't really make any sense because they'd have to keep re-engineering the catastrophe to maintain the situation, which struck me as part of the point of the ending as it was written, to be honest: if Rorscharch's diary ending up in the hands of the only people mad enough to publish it didn't make it obvious that the whole thing was a castle built on sand, you have to wonder what would...)

Maybe Marvel can just make an Ultimate Watchmen and then it would be easier to make it into a movie. The Comedian can have a little soul patch and everything.

I'd have said that was more than half of the point, myself.

Rohne, wasn't the script for the Gilliam version by the tonk who wrote the first Tim Burton Batman, rather than Gilliam himself? (I recall seeing him quoted somewhere saying that the end of the comic didn't really make any sense because they'd have to keep re-engineering the catastrophe to maintain the situation, which struck me as part of the point of the ending as it was written, to be honest: if Rorscharch's diary ending up in the hands of the only people mad enough to publish it didn't make it obvious that the whole thing was a castle built on sand, you have to wonder what would...)

Eons ago I downloaded a copy of a script purported to be a first draft of a Watchmen script by Sam Hamm (yes one of the morons behind that first (modern) Batman mess). I don't know how far the script got through the Hollywood pipeline, and I don't know who was supposed to direct it. I just know that I never got around to reading the full thing as I really hate reading text heavy documents on computers.

If anybody really cares, I could make a copy of the script available.

Having read it, I'd say that Hamm's original Batman script was pretty good, actually. Not perfect, but definitely a confident step in the right direction. It needed some refining before it would have been great, but the first Batman film definitely failed to do it full justice.