sethos

Who watches ...

Watchmen screenwriter David Hayter pleads for us to see the film more than once. His argument is that this film needs to be watched as many times as the book needs to be read.

What the hell is Solid Snake on about?

I enjoyed it. That guy they got to play the Comedian was stellar casting. Same with Laurie Jupiter. Rorschach was cool, too, but you'd have to be clueless as an actor to fuck up that role. I also got the motion comic--which was decent enough, except they got one guy to do ALL the voices, even the female roles. Would it have hurt to get a chick for the chick parts? But the film was much better than I thought it would be. I wish they'd have used the alien squid monster ending but the one they came up with worked, to me anyway.

5th best superhero movie then.

Even if it was 5th (and it's not even close) that still renders it, as an adaptation, completely pointless.

Unless at least 70% of non-comic book readers come out of the cinema thinking, at least on some level, that they've seen the ulitmate treatise on the nature of adolescent power fantasies the whole thing's a failure.

It should make a non-comic book reader feel the way it made comic book readers feel.

It HAS to be the BEST.

Because it is.

Even if it was 5th (and it's not even close) that still renders it, as an adaptation, completely pointless.

Unless at least 70% of non-comic book readers come out of the cinema thinking, at least on some level, that they've seen the ulitmate treatise on the nature of adolescent power fantasies the whole thing's a failure.

It should make a non-comic book reader feel the way it made comic book readers feel.

It HAS to be the BEST.

Because it is.

Well, in my opinion, it's the 5th best superhero movie I've seen. It may move up or down that list on further viewings.

Your argument, though, should be that it "has to be the best* comic-book adaptation", surely? If you're arguing it should be the best because the book is the best, then it would be unfair to compare it to superhero movies that aren't adapted from a single original source.

*Of course, you've already said you don't think it IS the best, which is fair enough.

When I say it has to be the best I mean exactly that.

Anything else is failure.

It has to resonate with film-goers that aren't familiar with it the way that the book does with those who read it for the first time.

Otherwise it really does ruin the book for a whole lot of people.

Most of my non-comic book friends who saw it thought it was rubbish.

I'm pretty sure that if I hadn't been familiar with the book I'd have felt the same way and if I had felt that way, why would I even bother to read the book?

Watchmen had a lot riding on it because it was meant to be the adaptation that proved comics were capable of more than just popcorn action, or conveying genuine emotion. Yet it just came off as being po-faced and sophomoric.

I don't think it's that unfair to compare it to other superhero films as I'd say that distilling fifty years of story is a lot more difficult than distilling one.

Most of my non-comic book friends who saw it thought it was rubbish.

Non-comic book friends? Why would even be friends with them?

Because formatting won't work without considerable effort, here's a link to my review of the Watchmans from my blog.

CLICK

In short, it looked good on film, but it missed so much of what made Watchmen great. Meh.

It HAS to be the BEST.

Because it is.

Absolutely.

Mediocre.

It's too slow paced. Especially the first half. I also really didn't need to see that much slow-mo. Rorschach was about the only good thing about the movie and he didn't get enough screentime.

Some people have too much time on their hands, very well done though.

That's nothing short of brilliant.

Strong together, united forever, come and meet your friends.

I will post this also in the Youtube thread.

the Watchmen Director's Cut is a lot better than the theatrical version. The scene of Hollis Mason dying is so goddamn great I wish the whole flick was that good. It doesn't solve a lot of the problems (i.e. the wildly uneven tone, the bad acting, most of the music used, too much action), but the flick has much better pacing and characterization now. Plus, I found that on a second viewing, I was able to let go of the comic a lot more and just enjoy it (mostly, I still think the ending is a mess) as a movie. I'd recommend giving it another chance.

Watched it on Blu-ray at my friend's house, the director's cut. I enjoyed it a tad more, but not by much. The Hollis Mason scene was probably one of my favorite parts but the beginning with the gang was so focred and seemed so tacked on. Maybe if we met the gang members earlier in the movie. One thing also I felt was missing were the focus on the civilians. That really helped the book out, the civilians such as the newsstand dude and the comic reader, the gang members, the doctor and his wife, the lesbian lovers, etc. Sure, some of those characters show up, but for a total of less than a minute. And seeing their lives and them dealing with superheroes and the fear of the world possibly coming to an end were great. The flick had non of that and I felt really hindered it.

And it didn't bother me before but the action scenes really bugged the hell outta me, especially Silk Spectre stabbing that one dude in the neck and twisting another's head around. WTF?! And this time around I definitely agree, Ackerman's acting distracted. Definitely the weaker of the bunch. Her best acting was the sex scene I must say.

Overall, watching it again I can't say I really enjoyed it but there were aspects I did love. All the scenes with Dr. Manhattan were my favorite. I'd buy the DVD just for his scenes alone. Rorshach and Niteowl and Comedian were all great. Still wish Ozy was developed more and wasn't portrayed as such a snobby jerk.

Also want to add how much I heavily missed the final scene between Jon and Adrian.

very true that.

Just saw it for the first time and didn't care for it. I was going in with an open mind but I just felt like they didn't do enough to flesh out the story. Maybe the Director's Cut would be better. I was wondering how my wife would like it as she never read the comic. But she felt the same way. Of course, it must be impossible to cram Watchemen into a 2.5 hour film I guess. Very nice visually, however. I think I should see the DC before I make up my mind.

I liked the Director's Cut. It was way more complete than the theatrical version. The ending still sucks, but with all the added extras, you could tell they tried to keep it real for the comic fans, in my opinion.