sethos

Who watches ...

I loved that he tried to make his Batman different from and more frightening than his Bruce Wayne, but he growled and spit just a little too much.

And how tall is Liam Neeson?  He made Bale look like a dwarf in some scenes....

The growling was obvious and terrible.

He needed the monotone Voice Bats would use in Dini's animated series.

Far more subtler and infinitely unnerving.

In the final scene of the film, with Bats and Gordon standing by the Bat-signal, his tone of voice was a little more restrained than the "growling" he was doing with the bad guys. Dont know whether that was an intentional development during the course of the film, but if he can keep his "Batman" voice to the volume of "average" speech, then it would be a nice touch for the sequel...

NOOOOO!!!!

According to this months Empire, Watchmen is back on track with Zack whatsit the director of the latest meaningless Dawn of the Dead remake.

Dawn of the Dead aside, you want the Alan Moore of Hollywood to do this.

No one in Hollywood is smart enough or wont be allowed to be, to actually pull this off.

Think V for Verbose the Movie and then think Watchmen.

Good Lord no.

NOOOOO!!!!

According to this months Empire, Watchmen is back on track with Zack whatsit the director of the latest meaningless Dawn of the Dead remake.

Dawn of the Dead aside, you want the Alan Moore of Hollywood to do this.

No one in Hollywood is smart enough or wont be allowed to be, to actually pull this off.

Think V for Verbose the Movie and then think Watchmen.

Good Lord no.

I read that issue of Empire and totally forgot to post here about it.

The producers clearly have a lot of respect for the material but they simply cannot have an understanding of why it works so well if they believe they can turn it into a movie.

I was trying to explain it to my brother and it is basically that there are certain pieces in various different media that in transferring from one medium to another would lose their essence.

Un Chien Andalou for example could not possibly work as a short story.

I believe that it might be possible to make a wonderful adaptation of Watchmen but I have no idea how that can be accomplished and have no faith that anyone will be able accomplish it.

I believe that it might be possible to make a wonderful adaptation of Watchmen but I have no idea how that can be accomplished and have no faith that anyone will be able accomplish it.

Specially not some guy with no credentials. On one hand, he could prove me wrong. But on the other hand, the odds are overwhelmingly against it.

Wait; isn't that the guy who's doing Frank Miller's 300?

Didn't he read the comic?

And Inca - i'm with you on the Un Chien Andalou thing - they'd have to invent soem sort of an equivalent to hyperlinking on the screen or some sort of revolutionary filmmaaking technique to make it remotely work.

Wait; isn't that the guy who's doing Frank Miller's 300?

Didn't he read the comic?

And Inca - i'm with you on the Un Chien Andalou thing - they'd have to invent soem sort of an equivalent to hyperlinking on the screen or some sort of revolutionary filmmaaking technique to make it remotely work.

Yeah again, page-fucking-1 of Watchmen is already unfilmable.

It uses the anonymity of soundless comic book dialogue.

The thing is I really do believe that a cracking adaptation is possible.

NOT SIN CITY, mind you, I want a film adaptation.

Well, you shouldn't get your hopes up, they will mostly start from a script that misunderstands most of the key characters, and go downhill from there...

First problem is no one understand how to translate the Cold War elements into modern day political discussion, and no movie wants to deal with the Cold War today.

Moving from square 1, I believe that The Watchmen is unfilmable today, unless you leave out all the intellectual elements and pretty much turn into an Authority type tale mixed with superhero morality elements.

It'd be like wanting to see Hollywood tackle Jamie Delano's Hellblazer. It's not going to turn out pretty.

A movie of Watchmen cannot be made. I just shudder at the thought. It would be like making a high-energy Broadway musical out of Elie Wiesel's Night.

A movie of Watchmen cannot be made. I just shudder at the thought. It would be like making a high-energy Broadway musical out of Elie Wiesel's Night.

But with Patrick Swaze!

Personally, I want to hire a home of senior citizens to record a crusty radio show, with all those thrilling 50's sound effects.

What about putting on an experimental modern expressionast dance performance.

On a side note, in a Darren Aronofsky interview, he mentions meeting David Bowie to see if the glam-god rock star could do a new version of Space Oddity for THE FOUNTAIN. The first thing Bowie asked him was if he was directing a film version of THE WATCHMEN. It turned out Bowie was in the process of adapting it into a Rock Opera.

Aronofsky said he was glad he dropped (or got fired off of) WATCHMEN to do THE FOUNTAIN, because if he had made a bad movie, then he would've pissed off Bowie.

I'm actually genuinely delighted to know that if I ever meet David Bowie, we'll have something in common. I'm not even that much of a fan of his music, but the idea of talking about Watchmen with Ziggy Stardust seems so strange, I'd love to be able to say I've done it.

the idea of talking about Watchmen with Ziggy Stardust

That would be so cool.

Getting him drunk and then drawing a zigzag on his face with a marker pen would be cooler, though.

lol. Thats so cool, Bowie likes comics?.

The man is an icon.

Serious Moonlight tour, 88 000 people in Western Springs stadium, Auckland.

So many people without tickets were in the road that runs along the top of the ridge to the west of the stadium, that they simply lined up along the fence, the corragated iron fence, began to rock it, tore a section 30 feet long out of the ground, and we stood there looking up, and watched the fence go stright up in the air, the crowd passed it from hand to hand behind them, and poured down the hill.

Lots of cool things happened at that concert, my very first concert. I kissed a strange girl!.

There was a big blimp, tethered and hanging over the stadium, maybe for a camera. While the concert was going on, some dickhead snuck in behind the truck it was anchored to, and released the brake on the cables drum.

Almost no wind that day, so it just genty rose up out of sight, slowly drifting north east. And given that it had about 200 kgs of wire cable, I am guessing, there could have been a terrible accident, eventually the blimp would pop. I never heard if they had the cable come down on a house or something..

They released a globe , a map of the world, with a Dove of Peace on it, to bounce around the hands of the crowd. That was the first time a big screen was playing above the stage, for the times TOP of the line system all round, and cameras feeding. As it bounced around, you see some wanker stab up with something in his hand, and *POP*, the globe was gone.

Bowie stopped smiling, and singing, and frowned. The camera flicked back to where it had happened, and there was a surge of people, something happening, then they stepped back to reveal a big guy laying on the ground. St Johns Ambulance officers came and got him, and carried him away.

Actually, every other concert i have ever been to since, has fallen short of that one.

Interesting tid-bit from the new director of Watchmen, amongst other things he seems to want to keep it in the 1980's as opposed to a moden day update, an approach I like.

And hopefully Nixon will still be President.

"1985's a problem for people. The Cold War's a problem for people. But these are things I've been trying to [tell people] would be cool. I like that Richard Nixon is the president in it. I think that's important. Those kinds of things tell you exactly what kind of movie this is - it's not Fantastic Four, you know"

Suddenly, for only the second time since people were talking about a Watchman movie, I am interested.

I remember reading in the Vertigo column thingy back in the late 80's about a Terry Gilliam-helmed version. That was the only other time I was interested.