Sign in to follow this  
Misha

Pogues/Hellblazer relations

Always wondered what the influence of the Pogues was on HB. Garth never made it a secret that he's a big fan. Mike Carey too perhaps, judging from the title of the latest story arc. Any thoughts on this?

I think it simply stems from Ennis' oft-referenced fondness for the Pogues - he wrote both Kit and Constantine as fans of the band, too, and named more than a few of his stories after lines from Pogues songs. 'Falling Into Hell', 'Down All The Days', 'Rake at the Gates of Hell', 'The Measure Of My Dreams' (Rake... part 5) and 'All The Little Girls And Boys' (the Ennis/Glynn Dillon short story from the Vertigo: Winter's Edge collection) are the ones I can remember, but there may be others - a more dedicated Pogues fan than myself could probably tell you more. Mike is presumably either a fan himself, or/and using this particular story title as a deliberate echo of/homage to the Ennis run. His is still probably the most widely-known era of Hellblazer, after all (it's the most heavily-represented in trade form, and I believe the sales for the title were at their highest during the Ennis run), so it makes sense that character traits introduced in that era would still be in use today, especially by a writer as conscious of the series' history as Carey.

It's worth noting that all but one of the Ennis-era Pogues references listed above come from the same song - 'Rainy Night In Soho', which is also apparently Kit's favourite song. I don't think it would be too implausible to suggest that it might be Garth's, too.

Come to think of it, those Pogues references of course popped up in Preacher too. Wasn't there a story called 'I built my dreams around you'?

Garth Ennis, ladies and gentlemen - never afraid to subtly ram a point home. Again. And again. And again.

"The Pub Where I Was Born", also an Ennis story-arc.

On a seperate note:"Rainy Night in Soho" is probably my favourite song also.

what's especially funny is that Rake at the Gates of Hell comes not from a Pogues album, but from a soundtrack to a movie by Alex Cox called... Straight to Hell :biggrin:

Man, all of the Pogues references make me warm on the inside. Such a great band.

And, for the record, my favourite Pogues song is either Lullaby of London or The Broad Majestic Shannon.

"The Broad Majestic Shannon" is probably a close 2nd for me....

Oh, and lest we forget the god-awful Nancy Collins' "Swamp Thing" debacle; the title of her "John has a pirate ancestor" story-arc was "Rum, Sodomy, and the Lash". So, even though she can't write, she seems to have good taste in music (either that, or else Ennis named the story for her).

"The Broad Majestic Shannon" is probably a close 2nd for me....

Oh, and lest we forget the god-awful Nancy Collins' "Swamp Thing" debacle; the title of her "John has a pirate ancestor" story-arc was "Rum, Sodomy, and the Lash". So, even though she can't write, she seems to have good taste in music (either that, or else Ennis named the story for her).

I can only say one thing in defense: Lady Jane (don't hit me) :wacko:

Come to think of it, those Pogues references of course popped up in Preacher too. Wasn't there a story called 'I built my dreams around you'?

And "Down all the Days" and probably others but I can't be bothered looking.

Guest spiderlegs

They have a song called "Transmetropolitan," too. Looks like they're comic fans as well.