Demon Chas08

BATMAN BEGINS

I was really impressed with how they showed the murder of Wayne's parents. I was cringing when they showed a scene shortly before where Daddy Wayne was going to give a pearl necklace to Mama Wayne...just because the "shattering pearls" image has been done to death in the comics and films. In this film, the death was much more sudden and senseless...

But, my main nitpick was that the killer was ever caught, by ANYONE. To me, the strongest motivator for Batman should be that his parents' killer was NEVER caught...by him or the police. It's the one crime he can never solve, and then one he must always continue to fight for. I hate whenever it's "solved" in the films or comics...it should be the eternal mystery in his life!

And man, I was completely won over by the Batmobile...mainly just because it works. I never got what the Burton Penis-mobile was able to outside of shooting flames while only going about 40 miles an hour. Oh, right, it also drove remote controled into the Joker's factory, dropped bombs, and killed(!!!) dozens of the Joker's henchmen. Ugh. I wish I could forget that abomination of a film.

I hate whenever it's "solved" in the films or comics...it should be the eternal mystery in his life!

I can see where you're coming from, but to be entirely fair, apart from a brief period back in the '40s, and again after 'Zero Hour' in the 90s (and even then, it was ambiguous), that's never been the case in the comics. It'd be a bit unreasonable to expect them to invent that angle for the film (especially as the Burton film got such a negative fan reaction for making a change to that part of the origin story).

I thought after the original "Crisis" it was made that the killer was never caught or identified...I recall a story where Batman finally confronts Joe Chill with what he's done, and Chill is killed by his gang when he starts ranting to them that he "created Batman," but I always thought that was pre-Crisis.

And history be damned. The killer of his parents being caught in ANY way weakens the "why" of Batman. And Burton making the Joker the killer was the worst of all...

Naah, the godawful Year Two, which came out within about a year of Crisis, clarified that Joe Chill was still the Waynes' killer, and Bruce got to confront him. It was shit though, and I actually agree with you - I'd rather it was left a mystery. But I haven't seen the film yet, so I don't know how they do it there, or what I'll think of it...

Batman Begins has kicked the shit out of all the other Batman movies.

Batman Forever was on last night. And I could barely stand it. I was sitting there pointing out EVERYTHING that was wrong with it.

Bruce Wayne and Batman having the same voice.

The "thugs". Somebody tell me whats scary about a bunch of guys with neon paint on their faces and glow sticks?

The Riddler and Two Face..

Batmans car.

Batman "gliding" down a building.

Robin

"Hey Two-Face! Show me how to punch a guy! :D"

The way The Riddler looked, and how two-face looked.

How they acted.

The "goons"

Everything. I could barely watch the entire movie.

Batman Forever was on last night.

Batman What? Batman Whatever? Not familiar with it.

The "thugs". Somebody tell me whats scary about a bunch of guys with neon paint on their faces and glow sticks?

Actually, my ex is one of those annoying "poi" dancers that run around everywhere with twirling glo-sticks and blacklight reactive paint. The scary thing is that I actually slept with him! So, there is a vague correlation there....

;)

i didnt say its so bad just that it wasnt always fitting (the car chase, figthing scenes). but i did know that its from hans zimmer :)

i figured you'd know that. it does explain so of the overly theatrical bits, though.

...altough the new car isnt the batmobile i loved when i was a kid, but the new one isnt also bad, just a more realistic one.

Although more heavily armed, this roundier Batmobile is less likely to be recalled as a hazardous toy!

http://www.consumer.org.nz/newsitem.asp?do...topic=Batmobile

The next Batman movie was even worse, believe it or not, wolvy....with Posion Ivy and Mr. Freeze and all the campiness you could ever want!

OK, the real reason I didn't like this movie is the origin scene....I mean, come on! We all know the real origin of the Batman! Bruce Wayne sits in a chair and thinks of how to scare criminals, because "after all, criminals are a cowardly and superstitious lot"; when a bat flies in his window and lands on his lap. "That's it! I will become a bat!"

God....talk about writing!

Also, I think we should be shown why Bruce Wayne decides never to kill. I don't buy that his parents dying was enough to make him commit to this, as we all know Batman originally carried long steak knifes and guns into battle.

So, I think Batman should find Joe Chill and chase him into an old warehourse, which is his gang's hideout. Batman kills Joe Chill in cold blood, only to discover that one of the gang members is....GET THIS....Joe Chill's SON! The irony would be too much for Batman, and he would swear on the grave of his parents' killers that he would never take another life, because, in the end, everyone is someone's parent, child, sibling.

Oh, and "Year Two" was indeed awful!

I'm just bored.....I'm leaving now.

The next Batman movie was even worse, believe it or not, wolvy....with Posion Ivy and Mr. Freeze and all the campiness you could ever want!

OK, the real reason I didn't like this movie is the origin scene....I mean, come on! We all know the real origin of the Batman! Bruce Wayne sits in a chair and thinks of how to scare criminals, because "after all, criminals are a cowardly and superstitious lot"; when a bat flies in his window and lands on his lap. "That's it! I will become a bat!"

God....talk about writing!

Also, I think we should be shown why Bruce Wayne decides never to kill. I don't buy that his parents dying was enough to make him commit to this, as we all know Batman originally carried long steak knifes and guns into battle.

So, I think Batman should find Joe Chill and chase him into an old warehourse, which is his gang's hideout. Batman kills Joe Chill in cold blood, only to discover that one of the gang members is....GET THIS....Joe Chill's SON! The irony would be too much for Batman, and he would swear on the grave of his parents' killers that he would never take another life, because, in the end, everyone is someone's parent, child, sibling.

Oh, and "Year Two" was indeed awful!

I'm just bored.....I'm leaving now.

"Winter.. Has come.. Atlast"

"What killed the dinosaurs? The ICE AGE!!"

I have both Batman Forever and Batman & Robin, not to mention Batman Returns and Batman. Tim Burtons ilms were better. But Batman Begins is really awesome.

I'd say this one is the best one to date, and definitely the topper of all comics to film. But.. I have always thought Christian Bale was badass. Since American Psycho. But my god he pulled off Batman spectacularly.

After months and months of waiting and even taking time off work to visit my friend just so she could see it with me I am happy to say I was pretty thrilled with this film. Sure, I found faults. The fights moved too fast, the action was a bit crammed in at the end and the romance felt too forced but the good points far out-weighed the bad.

Firstly. God, I love that car!

I also relished the fact that Bruce's sheer strength of will was focused on. It does take 'more than a man' to do what he does every night. But the balance was shown when he was seen in the morning, bruised yet still determined.

The relationship between Bruce and Alfred was, for me, perfect. And the humour with them worked well.

I liked Murphy as the Scarecrow but I felt as though something was missing. I am actually more interested in the Arkham inmates then in Batman himself and I found myself feeling that the Scarecrow should be a bit more twisted then he was played. Would have like more interaction between Batman and Scarecrow.

Led to an interesting conversation with my friend about if I had the bidget and know-how to make a film myself, I would make one about Arkham. The building, the workers, the doctors and of course, the inmates. I Love how there is balence and rules between the insane.

Oh yes, I really loved the car!

well i tried to read through most of this thread but DAYUM some of you do waffle on like old women.

I just wanted to make the observation that although this was a film set in a fictional american city something like 99% of the cast and crew was actually british with the exception of a couple of americans and a dutchman almost every person was from the UK even some of the tibetians.

It was kind of distracting to see the police commishoner was a guy who used to do cameos on the fast show or one of the cops towards then end was in that Chef sitcom with Lenny Henry.

hopefully it'll be the wave of the future to outsource all of hollywood to pinewood.

well i tried to read through most of this thread but DAYUM some of you do waffle on like old women.

Ah, the limited attention-span of the post-MTV generation... ;)

Damn. That's me, too.

I've just got home from seeing this and I'm still grinning from ear to ear (in fact I might just see about auditioning as the Joker for the next one if I can't get rid of it). I haven't enjoyed a film as much as this since, well erm... Sin City :biggrin:

For me this even out did Sin City, it was gritty and did not insult the viewers intelligence, decent attempts at plausible explanations for the implausible, and the whole moral question of vengeance, punishment and justice queried throughout - great acting in the main and have to agree with Keeyah - what a car.

I saw it last night, I enjoyed it.

The city looked "real" which I liked, Christian Bale makes a decent Batman, but has mean lips, which is a shame when half the film there's only your mouth showing. I loved the fear hallucinations, especially the bit where she's looking out of the car, that looked mint. :biggrin: I liked Gary Oldman in it, and I've hated him for the past few years, so that was nice. The car was ace, my friend was telling me it was on Top Gear and loads of Americans had said it couldn't be built, so some British blokes did it. Anyway, it was pretty ace.

Despite being impressed to no end by my first viewing last week, methinks a second viewing is in order. An undying cynicism within me denies that a Batman film of such quality can really exist in the same universe as Batman & Robin....

Does anyone have any idea of how successful this film has been financially? (and therefore the chances of there being a sequel?)

Despite being impressed to no end by my first viewing last week, methinks a second viewing is in order. An undying cynicism within me denies that a Batman film of such quality can really exist in the same universe as Batman & Robin....

Does anyone have any idea of how successful this film has been financially? (and therefore the chances of there being a sequel?)

its been very successful indeed - far exceeding expectations, I hear. It made about 50 mill last weekend I think. There's definitely going to be a sequel, for which all the principals barring Katie Holmes have signed up. In fact, there's talk of a trilogy.

its been very successful indeed - far exceeding expectations, I hear. It made about 50 mill last weekend I think. There's definitely going to be a sequel, for which all the principals barring Katie Holmes have signed up. In fact, there's talk of a trilogy.

Actually Holmes isnt doing a sequel. The WB have been pretty pissed with her. They said the engagment between her and Tom Cruise has took away from the success of Batman Begins, and not to mention how on most her recent interviews. She would only mention BB once and then go on and on about War of the worlds.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/yearly/chart/?yr=2005&p=.htm

Top ten after one week, it's made half as much as a certain popular horror/action/comedy/shit film around these parts.

and going by that list, Sin City only made 2 million less than Constantine, with Constantine costing more than twice what Sin City cost. ouch!

Watched this weak little movie yesterday. I wasn't even anxious to see it, but a friend dragged me to the theater with the offer of a free ticket. It's hardly the masterpiece being hyped on the internet; you watch all those nutcases on IMDB.com drooling over it, you'd think it's the greatest movie since Citizen Kane. But as soon as the movie started and I saw Bale in a shithole fighting thugs for no reason, I felt this was gonna be complete trash!

"I'm your demon!"

"No, you're practice."

No, you're pathetic, shitty one-liners!

I suppose it had a couple of good points: Christian Bale was indeed good for a superficial character: his Bruce Wayne persona was very nice. Michael Caine and Morgan Freeman were spot-on too! I was worried about Lucius Fox being a sort of Q character for Batman, but it worked so well after all. I loved Gary Oldman more than anything else, of course; from his introduction when he's comforting young Bruce Wayne to his conversation with Batman at the end, he rocked! And obviously, I loved the reference to The Joker! The implication that Batman attracts costumed nutcases is something that should be more explored, especially in the comics.

Loved the flashbacks the most, young Bruce Wayne, Bruce wishing to kill Joe Chill, his conversation with Falcone... all that, I felt was very strong.

There's no point talking about Katie Holmes, I suppose. Liam Neeson was alright as Ghul, but every time he opened his mouth to speak another one of his pseudo, homily philosophies I wanted to throw up... "learn to master your fears!" "Now you must journey inwards and face your fears!" Liam, get on your spaceship and get back to Coruscant, man, for your crap philosophy only makes sense in the Jedi universe!

Ah, but I enjoyed a lot the scene where Ghul shows up at the mansion during the party and Bruce has to get rid of his guests in a hurry.

I don't see what's all the hype about the Scarecrow, a guy who isn't even a nut wearing a potato sack in his head... I just hope he's improved in the sequel, since apparently he's still alive. The fear gas hallucinations were hardly scary or disturbing, more annoying because of the sound in the background; I suppose it's scary to the characters inside the movie, but on this side of the screen I was bored! Still, I liked how Crane dealt with Falcone...

Now, the soundtrack was hardly as memorable as the original. I could hum the old one, this one I can't even remember, it's so banal and generic. The action scenes were so fast-paced you couldn't actually see what was going on, my guess is that they were so devoid of content this was done on purpose to hide that fact.

And the Batmobile is the ugliest thing I've ever seen! Again, the old one was elegant, it had style! This one is just a convulted, ugly piece of metal. Like my friend said, 'following the hyper-aggresive trend.'

Gotham City was also lacking in style; it's the same city you've seen in Blade Runner, The Matrix, Minority Report. In fact, I read somewhere Nolan showed his film crew a special screening of Blade Runner, and said that's how the movie should look. Personally, a mix of retro and futuristic architecture doesn't seem to me what Gotham is about: shinny and clean at the top, dirty at the bottom? Again, I felt Burton got it right with his Gothic, Byzanthine aesthetic vision.

By the way, pleasantly surprised to see Rutger Hauer starring in a movie that isn't complete crap for a chage. When he showed up on screen my heart must have stopped for a second.

Not much to say about the plot: it was efficient; it told the origin in a nice manner, we got to know where all the symbols and gadgets came from. I even bought the micro-waves emitter, or whatever it was, vaporizing the water and spreading the fear gas. Loved the implications that the League of Shadows has been working across the ages to destroy centers of corruption, like Rome. Nice touch, I thought. It also clearly showed what a corrupt city Gotham is, and that can never be a bad thing.

Didn't buy the Waynes being murdered outside the opera. Ok, so Gotham is going through a depression, but are you telling me there isn't a more posh, better-looking part of the city where the rich folks can mingle safely and is better protected by cops? It has a futuristic-looking railway system, but no upper-class zone like Broadway or Beverly Hills? Look at the façade of the opera house they came out from! It looked like a fucking warehouse! I don't believe a rich couple would be in a place like that. Not everything in Gotham can look like a dump, for Christ's sake!

Like I said, I wasn't anxious to see it: Nolan and Goyer are two names I don't associate with quality storytelling. But it wasn't the disaster I expected. Perhaps the sequel will be better.