JohnMcMahon

Justice League Unlimited

Falling under 'Other Media', but the current JLA cartoon "Justice League Unlimited" is fab!

I'm 10 episodes into the second season and the last three or so have been focusing on the main storyline - Lex Luthor running for president, a shady organisation called Cadimus up to all sorts and lots of folk realising that the idea of an army of superheroes watching over us from an orbiting space station (complete with huge fuck off laser cannon) may not be such a good thing.

I'v seen every episode cept Hawk & Dove and Kid Stuff. JLU has one more episode to go, and then it goes on break then comes back for its 5th season. The last episode is suposed to be pretty damn good. The ones before kicked all forms of ass.

They're showing older episodes on Toonami - last night it was the episode where all the adults are magiced away and Morgen Le Fey has to turn various members of the league into children to turn everything back to normal. There's a corking scene where kid Batman, Wonderwoman, Flash and Green Lantern are trapped in a bit and a baby Etrigan plays the role of the Rancor from ROTJ!

Also, Green Lantern discovering that he needs glasses and making himself the crab mask that some other Green Lantern wears.

Also also, Wonder Woman having a crush on Batman!

They're showing older episodes on Toonami

i've been downloading it every week like clockwork and every single week it just gets better and better.

FUCK toonami, it used to be good (when it was CNX) but now all they show is beyblade and pokemon or variations there-on, they could show quality stuff like the Batman animated series or the Superman series, Batman of the Future and Samurai Jack but they'd rather show completely dire Dragon ball spinoffs (who the hell has the patience to watch something where one fight can take over ten 30min episodes)

While in america cartoon network has Adult Swim with some of the best animated stuff aimed directly at our generation, we have to put up with some big eyed japanese 5 year old obsessivly collecting spinning tops possed by the souls of collector cards with pictures of strange animals on them, fuck that shit.

BOYCOTT TOONAMI!!!

DBZ cracks me the fuck up man, I really can't get enough of it - totally stupid but something about it appeals to me - probably all the bright colours.

I'd never seen this, but got so sick of people telling me that it was great that I'm currently downloading the first season. The first episode, with Green Arrow being initiated into the League, was fun but not overwhelming - the next ep is the 'For The Man Who Has Everything' adaptation though, which I'm expecting to enjoy a lot, based on what I've heard. I can see the potential in the series already, so I'm looking forward to working my way through it...

I have only seen the Hawk and Dove one and I really want to see 'Kids stuff'. I keep forgetting to check Toonami to see when its on.

It'll be on this Friday, they repeat the two episodes they show during the week at 8 or 9.

After watching a few more episodes, I have the following comments to make:

- 'For The Man Who Has Everything' was alright, but suffered from comparison to the (massively superior) comic version.

- Wonder Woman as a pig, and Batman singing karaoke - this is the stuff dreams are made of.

- Etrigan as a fire-belching infant is possibly the greatest thing ever.

Can't wait to watch more. I'll be downloading season 2 as soon as the first batch has finished, I suspect...

- 'For The Man Who Has Everything' was alright, but suffered from comparison to the (massively superior) comic version.
massively superior?? come on there's Moore worship and then there's MOORE worship, it was only a throw away story for an 80's annual not everything the man does is gospel. personally i preferred the JLU episode, i think Dave Gibbons did as well i remember him saying something, Alan was unavailable for comment,

I get the episodes, but they're only on at midnight on Fridays, so I miss them sometimes.

However, last week's episode, with Brainiac implanting himself into Lex, and nearly killing Flash, was totally aces. One of the finest moments in television, and capped off with a nice Green Arrow and Batman exchange that gave me fond memories of Watchmen.

Haha - I caught some of it while getting ready for work and thought of you - was just in time to see the Baby Etrigan bit again.

"This is definetly a job for Superman"

massively superior?? come on there's Moore worship and then there's MOORE worship, it was only a throw away story for an 80's annual not everything the man does is gospel.

What? Moore's written his share of guff, and I'd never deny it. You're reading things I didn't say, man. Just because I thought the episode wasn't as good as the comic doesn't mean I'm claiming the original was a work of copper-bottomed genius.

The original 'Man Who Has everything' is alright, but not one of Moore's best stories. I just didn't think the episode did as good a job of adapting it as it could have done - the reduction of a rather effective take on a failing Kryptonian society to "Superman has a cute wife and kid who he'll miss" was probably necessary for timing purposes, but didn't really satisfy on a narrative level, while the omission of the best gag from the original story (remember? The gift of the Kandor model?) in favour of a rather lame "Batman gives Superman cash for his birthday" joke didn't really work for me. There were other bits I wasn't so fond of either, but there's no point in going into that now. It was a fun enough bit of fluff, and nothing more.

But of course I recognize that it was being adapted for a kids' TV show, and as such it did a perfectly decent job, which is why I didn't want to go into the whys and wherefores of how I felt it failed. I'm not really the target audience for some of this stuff, so I'm happy to make allowances for that.

Dave Gibbons is more than welcome to disagree with me, as are you. Just as I'm entitled to my own opinions.

Dave Gibbons is more than welcome to disagree with me, as are you. Just as I'm entitled to my own opinions.
ooooohhhh, handbags

"Superman has a cute wife and kid who he'll miss"
you truly have a heart of stone, that damn near made me weap actual tears.

you truly have a heart of stone, that damn near made me weap actual tears.

:p Big girly-man.

Naah. It worked for me too, and was pretty well done - I just preferred the original.

I missed the Mogul ending of the comic, with him ripping Superman's head off, sticking it on a pole, and destroying the universe from his own Death Star type clone. :biggrin: