JohnMcMahon

Justice League Unlimited

We're about halfway through Season 2 now, and it's gone from being merely excellent in Season 1 to something approaching quite gobsmackingly fantastic. I love the tension which is bubbling under in the background, and is clearly going to burst out into cataclysmically epic shit before the end of the season. It seems to be setting itself up for some kind of Batman Vs. The Justice Leage Vs. The World (or at least Cadmus, supposedly acting on behalf of the world), and I can't fucking wait...the scrap between Supes and Doomsday in the volcano was mighty, and the end of that episode was seriously harsh. It's interesting - they're clearly playing with the viewers' perceptions of the League to the extent that we can genuinely see why the JLU's actions might freak people out, which Superman and J'onn in particular seem blind to...

I haven't enjoyed a superhero comic as much as I'm enjoying this in years. Awesome, and I haven't even gotten to the much-vaunted 'Question Authority' episode yet...

On a related note, I've start skimming through various DCU titles on the shelf in the hopes of finding something that looks as interesting as the JLU cartoon (hence the recent borrowing of the Outsiders trades) but haven't seen anything of note.

We've made it to episode 11.

Brainiac. Didn't see that one coming...

HOLY FUCKING SHIT.

I'm going off to watch the last two episodes now. This is a serious contender for best TV show I've seen this year.

'Epilogue' suffered slightly by virtue of belonging to a different show. But it was still good. And the actual finale of the season?

Wow.

You know, I was using spoiler tags for a reason. Some people still haven't seen the end of the season. Any chance of you editing your post slightly?

It was great though, yeah.

quiter,

still you know this quote

Batman: "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes"

we all know what they should've translated that as.

Batman: "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes"

I'm not ashamed to say that I squealed when that was translated into English (by Bats or GA, can't remembe who).

I'm surprised you didn't hear the 'thunk' of my jaw hitting the floor at the reveal at the end of 'Panic In The Sky' over in Ireland.

Dark Heart was on tele last night, a lot of the dialogue really is quality Ellis.

This is extremely true. My personal favourites:

*The Atom is fighting against that gigantic (at the time) monster in the dish*

The Atom: He's bigger than my car now Katie. Personally, I blame you.

Katie: How can this possibly be my fault?

The Atom: Because otherwise it would be my fault. That can't be right--I'm a professor.

and, of course,

The Atom: I'm going to lay here for awhile, Katie. I'm an old man now, and I get tired.

I saw Dark Heart last night. Laughed out loud when Batman's plane blew up and as he was falling thousands of feet to the ground, ever so calmly says he needs assistance because he can't fly.

Can't believe the Atom didn't comment on that. Cheers for the VCD, Kejoxen - really enjoyed all of those episodes except Double Date, which was a bit crappy.

The "old man" line is very Ellis.

I saw Dark Heart last night. Laughed out loud when Batman's plane blew up and as he was falling thousands of feet to the ground, ever so calmly says he needs assistance because he can't fly.

Yeah, but they messed up the delivery; there should have been longer pauses inbetween his sentences.

really enjoyed all of those episodes except Double Date, which was a bit crappy.

Really? I loved that one, myself - in fact, as a stand-alone, it was one of the highlights of the season for me. Gail Simone is great. The central "Huntress seeks revenge for the death of her parents" plot was a bit hackneyed, true, but that wasn't really what the ep was about - it was about the characters, dialogue and action, all of which were top-notch.

I feel like I am behind, Cartoon Network showed a new episode Saturday night. It was "Panic in the Sky," but some of you have seen the last episode. Is it Cartoon Network making mistakes (or me) or are some of you downloading the episodes?

Seeing all the cameo appearances of various hereos, makes me want a spin-off series that rotates its focus on 1 or 2 characters that is not the "big 7." Like Shininig Knight, Vigilante, Hourman, Sand, Starman or Stargirl, etc.

Yeah, the Green Arrow's great. Is he that much of a dick in the comics?

"Double Date" would've been better if it hadn't had such a hackneyed ending, especially one so unsubtly delivered.

And I love how she decides not to kill him, so she drops five steel girders on his head instead. It's not like she could possibly know that he'd survive.

Yeah, the Green Arrow's great. Is he that much of a dick in the comics?

"Double Date" would've been better if it hadn't had such a hackneyed ending, especially one so unsubtly delivered.

And I love how she decides not to kill him, so she drops five steel girders on his head instead. It's not like she could possibly know that he'd survive.

I didn't find Ollie to be a dick in that episode.

As for this allegedly hackneyed ending, you do have to remember that it is a children's show in the end. While I'm sure a more subtle ending would've been better, I thought it was just fine, and this way, the younguns know that the Question has a burning love for Huntress.

Remember James, this is from the same team that, in Batman: The Animated Series, had Batman drop a two-ton penny on some of Two-Face's goons, and they were not mashed into a fine paste.

I was thinking more of the bit where the evil gangster just happens to have a little kid and blah blah blah.

And yeah, Ollie wasn't too much of a dick in Double Date, but he was definitely a smartarse in the first episode.

I was thinking more of the bit where the evil gangster just happens to have a little kid and blah blah blah.

And yeah, Ollie wasn't too much of a dick in Double Date, but he was definitely a smartarse in the first episode.

I kinda liked that Mandragora has a son thing. I can't remember that part of the episode too well (I saw it once, and I was half-awake at the time). It gave Mandragora some human quality.

Sure, he was slightly more of an arse in Initiation, but I just chalk it up to his "tough guy" attitude. And really, he was only like that for the first couple of minutes. I found Supergirl to be expontentially more irritating and ass-like than Ollie in that episode.

And really, how could you hate Double Date when it has a Tommy Monaghan mention in it?