JohnMcMahon

Justice League Unlimited

There was a big JLU marathon on YTV this week, so I PVR-ed all the episodes. For the Man Who Has Everything was extremely good. As heartbreaking as Clark's "dream" was, I think Bruce's was worse.

I was hoping that his parent's were going to die in his dream world too (before Diana interfered) cause Batman is fucking nuts and he's already living his perfect life.

John McMahon for Batman writer!

I've been getting through old Justice League episodes at an alarming rate, and just had to say that the Season 2 episode Hereafter, particularly Part 2, is one of the greatest things I've ever seen. It beats even the very best episodes of JLU into a cocked hat, which I wouldn't have believed possible until now. You owe it to yourselves to check this one out, people.

I'm not sure if I remember that one too well, is it when:

Superman, who's been sent into the future because of Toyman's bigass gun, works together with Vandal Savage?

Because, if so, while I remember it being very good, I wouldn't say it tops the JLU episodes I've seen. However, the Deadshot cameo made me squeal with glee.

Then again, I saw this episode before I was a fan of comics, so my memory of it is hazy.

It's in Season 2 of Justice League, the show which preceded Justice League Unlimited. It doesn't have the hugely expansive cast, but after a slightly shaky start (not bad, just not brilliant straight out of the gate) it's really very good indeed. Season 2, in particular, is pretty close to as good as either season of JLU.

I coulda sworn I've seen about every episode of Justice League, before it developed into Unlimited, but I really don't remember that ep mentioned above.

That episode is really one of the strong ones. It is worth trying to see if you can catch it in reruns (or download it).

I preferred JL to JLU because with fewer characters there was more room for character development and interaction, but I can see the appeal (from a marketing and cross-promotion standpoint) to include as many characters as possible. I mean the whole point of cartoons is to sell action figures, isn't it?

But they've kept it smart and only focus on a few characters each episode, usually just 3 at the most, so most of them have come across as "real characters" and not just background decoration.

I can see the advantages of both approaches, really. Justice League took a little while to really hit it's stride, but the richness of the character interactions and developments over the course of the first two seasons is fantastic, and while JLU has by no means neglected that sort of writing, there's not been anything to match (for example) Hawkgirl's relationship with Green Lantern, and the greater scope allowed by the multi-part stories is definitely missed in JLU at times. JLU hasn't done a story featuring the Justice League Versus Cthulhu, either, which is a definite tick in the pro-Justice League box. The latter show shamelessly underuses the Flash, too, given that he's one of the best characters in the first two seasons (although his role in the final battle with Brainiac is truly marvellous, and goes some way towards making up for his absence from earlier stories).

BUT...JLU has strengths which the original version of the show never managed, either. The advantage of the done-in-one-episode story format is the opportunity for faster-paced, more urgent storytelling, while the large range of characters and stories gives the show a sense of scale which the original never quite managed. Plus, of course, it's not like they abandoned the idea of longer-term story planning for JLU. Far from it, in fact - the Cadmus arc which runs through Season 2 is beautifully-constructed, thrilling, and, most remarkably, consists almost entirely of self-contained stories, which can be watched in isolation but also build up a coherent, intriguing long-term plot. You know...just like superhero comics used to be done. It's also something which they never even attempted to do with Justice League, so there you go.

I'd have to toss a coin for it, really - season 2 of Justice League is about as perfect a summation of what can be great about superhero stories as anyone could wish for, but season 2 of JLU is just as good, in a different way.

Am I the only person who hates the Hawk-people?  Adding another one to the serious made me sad.

I like Shyira (?), that's down to the dynamics of her relationship with John and the fact that everyone hates her for fucking them over.

Same here - it took me a while to come round to that way of thinking (her role in the first season-and-a-half of Justice League largely amounts to "gets angry, hits things"), but on the whole I quite like her. The Hawkman episode was alright, too - nothing in the new season has blown me away like the latter half of JLU season 2 did, but there haven't been any stinkers yet either, and it's still early days.

I did love the scene where Wonder Woman spins into her costume like she did in the old TV series, though. A lovely touch, that - and the pre-credits sequence in the "Journey To The Centre Of The Earth" episode was absolutely one of the best things they've ever done. A gigantic turtle attacking Tokyo! The Supergirl convention! Chubby Japanese fangirls! "Mecha is so last year"! Brilliant.

Hawkpeople can pretty much only fly and they wear bird-hats and dress like leathermen straight off of the set of Cruising. I find them impossibly lame, and the concept that their paltry abilities still allow them to be "galactic policemen" is absurd, even by funnybook standards. The Green Lanterns I can buy...they patrol the galaxies and have massively powerful weapons...the Hawkpeople, again, can only fly and dress like drunken Carnivale partygoers.

No thanks.

Well, Hawkgirl also has super-strength and a conveniently-powerful nth-metal mace...

Since when?

Since all those Justice League/JLU episodes in which she punches the hell out of big scary monsters.

James - Torrentspy has at least some of them. Otherwise, PM me and I may be able to see my way to sending you a couple of DVDs.

I only remember her socking beasties with her mace, which would hurt pretty much anyone.

Ah well, even with super strength, DOWN WITH THE HAWKPEOPLE!

The series is on Hiatus till they get more new episodes. Saw the 2 new ones from last sat. Were pretty good. Havent finished downloading the 2nd new episode.

I am a bit annoyed with CTN/YTV they put JLU on hold for a cartoon about a Johnny Bravo knockoff who fights crime with his nose hairs. :glare:

James - Torrentspy has at least some of them. Otherwise, PM me and I may be able to see my way to sending you a couple of DVDs.

I'd be fine with Torrentspy if I could figure out what I should be searching for to get the JLA episodes - Justice League of America and JLA both come up with nothing of interest.

Just search for "Justice League" and "Justice League Unlimited".