JohnMcMahon

Justice League Unlimited

Is this the Darkseid/Source Wall stuff? I thought all of that was screened ages ago?

Darkseid is a pussy because he resorted to a cheap weapon after getting his ass thoroughly handed to him.

And I don't think he won. The Anti-Life equation either killed him and Lex or transformed them into something greater that no longer cares about the domination of worlds.

The last few episodes were just aired here in the States. For some reason our version of Cartoon Network kept cancelling air dates and shuffling things around. JLU deserved better than that; once again a great show gets cut down in its prime.

Darkseid is a pussy because he resorted to a cheap weapon after getting his ass thoroughly handed to him.

And I don't think he won.  The Anti-Life equation either killed him and Lex or transformed them into something greater that no longer cares about the domination of worlds.

But he didn't get his ass handed to him! After the "World of cardboard" speech (which, incidentally, rocked), he comes back and punches the hell out of Superman! It's a no-score draw, at best.

Anyway, the fact that it was ultimately a pyrrhic victory (whatever else it did, the Anti-Life Equation certainly took him out of the game) doesn't change the fact that, in the end, Darkseid physically overcame the Justice League, and got the thing he's been after for centuries. That sounds like "winning" to me.

I wouldn't say it got cancelled just as it was starting to get good, either. Given the quality of everything after the first season of Justice League, I'd say it got cancelled after three complete seasons of near-unequivocal awesomeness. Still sucks, of course, but you made it sound like everything prior to the final season was somehow lacking, when I'd say that this last season was probably the weakest one since the first Justice League season. Still ace, but not in the same league as Justice League season 2, or the first two seasons of JLU.

Anyway, after Darkseid initially smacked Supes, Bats, and Lex around, Superman clearly gained the upper hand by letting loose. It wasn't until Darkseid cheaply whipped out that pain/torture weapon that he got back into the fight. He was on the ropes, no doubt. And Superman would've been saved from the device by Batman or someone else if Lex hadn't shown up.

If Cpt. Marvel ever showed his face (I missed a couple of episodes, so maybe he was gone---- I dunno) the combined might of he and Superman would've defeated Darkseid, no problem.

Granted, in the end it was basically a draw, but my initial argument is that Darkseid is portrayed as a pussy.

They should've done a true two-parter with this invasion/return story. Have Darkseid absolutely crush the JLU in episode 1, then have a select few (Superman, Cpt. Marvel, Batman, etc.) achieve a come-from-behind victory.

A good example of character establishment for a supervillain is the way Apocalypse was handled in the X-Men series of the 90's. He always got the upperhand first, and looked impossible to beat. In the end, the X-Men would manage some sort of small victory.

Brainiac struck me as a better, scarier villain when he popped out of Lex a few episodes back and started whooping everyone at once; now that was an ass-kicking villain.

Also, I didn't care for Michael Ironside's voice acting, I thought it was too mannered and silly. It's not easy making cliched villain-speak sound good, but Ironside was terrible; especially compared with Kevin Conroy, George Newbern, Michael Rosenbaum, Cory Burton, Clancy Brown, et. al.

Hell, kids don't watch cartoons anymore, Trace!

Don't they realize that cartoons are made for 24-30 year olds now?!

Everyone bemoaned the fact that Generation X no longer cared about being outside and doing physical activity. Well, they had no idea what was coming in the next generation!

The initial children of Generation X gave up on reading because TVs and movies were easier on the brain.

Now, the new generation of youth have given up on TV shows too! There was even too much thinking for them with those fast moving screen images. Now they spend all their time on the computers.

It's the post-post-postmodern world! :wacko: