Tim Bradstreet

(Bradstreet) It's been a great run folks . . .

Yeah, you know it's OK to voice your dissatisfaction when something like this happens.

And realistically Mark, I think most people understand the score. I don't think anyone really means that they are automatically going to be negative about the next cover person, though they may be feeling a bit pissy about the change. They are just venting and vent they shall. I think what they're getting at is that having a level of quality and familiarity for so long on the book has made an impact. And justifiably they don't want to have to settle for something less. That isn't necessarily deciding in advance to be pissed off or to hold a grudge against the next person.

Not by a long shot. They are just voicing their opinions on what is transpiring, how it effects them in the here and now. Just as in your meaning, don't be too quick to judge.

This is where we agree.

I think that the jury is still out until someone is announced. Then folks will debate the decision based on who is chosen. THAT'S when you need to reel them in a bit if the decision evokes any nasty biting. Case in point: When Michael Keaton was announced to play Batman tons of people cried foul, bitched and complained, had already decided the movie wasn't for them. . . . Then they saw it and realized they may have been bit hasty, and in most cases they had to eat a little crow. Point being, even if it's someone who you don't THINK would be a good choice, you gotta wait until you SEE what he/she has to offer.

So yeah, I think everyone pisses and moans when the honeymoon is over. It's a natural feeling.

No sense in really trying to curb it, it'll pass. Hopefully the reigns will be passed to a worthy talent. Then all of this becomes moot.

And to all that have commented since my last post -

Thanks you for the support and the warm feelings.

Yer all a bunch of big lugs!

:wub:

- TB

Point being, even if it's someone who you don't THINK would be a good choice, you gotta wait until you SEE what he/she has to offer.

That's all I was trying to say, really. Of course it's OK to moan and grumble - hell, I've done far too much of that myself to ever get pissy at someone else for doing the same. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

The EYE OF TRUTH has spoken. ;)

I dunno, I'm looking forward to seeing who the new artist will be since I'm almost certain the new artist will be studying Tim's work to get a feel for what Hellblazer covers are all about :biggrin: I'll also be looking for you, Tim, over in the artist's alley!

. Truth be told, these past 7 years on Hellblazer have been like a love affair.

Christ, has it really been that long?!?

And by the way Lou, I wish I could tell you more but Axel would have my ass ;)

I'll have your ass if you don't! :icon_evil: :huh:

Also - Never fear people. I've been crushed with deadlines and real life shit, but I will be getting the cover to 202 up on my sales site for the low rate we discussed as soon as I can. I'll let you all know when it's available. Sorry for the wait. There will be a lot more than that as well.

Cheers.

Tim, you truly are a class act.

Now I'm also worried about Hellblazer in general.

I dunno. I'm nervous. I hope the replacements are as talented as the people they're replacing....

I'm a little worried about the future of the title. It's not a slam on those to come but rather on Vertigo. Part of me feels that they forgot how to make comic books.

Edited by Lou K

I wasn't sure if that was the Eye Of Truth, Deathlok or Jonah Hex I was looking at there.

Either way it seems the Eyes have it.

Oh, and since I missed touching on this before -

I'm glad of the positive response to the 213 cover.

Like I mentioned in my list of fave Carey-run covers, it kind of came together of it's own will.

I'm not sure if the feelings I have for it are based on the realization that it was going to be one of the last three or not. You see, when I laid it out I still had no idea that I was leaving the book. But as I penciled and inked it I was totally aware. And for some reason that image just kind of haunts me. It haunts me in a really good way though. I keep looking at it and think about the last 7 years doing this book and I just get this nice feeling. To me it's also a perfect example of a cover done right based on the story it represents and tells. It makes me realize that this is the body of work that taught me how to do that. The remaining two should be very special as well.

- TB

213? I haven't seen that yet unless you mean 212, which I do absolutely love. I only hope that the next artist feels the same way and is as dedicated to the title as you.

JMac posted the links to the #213 cover earlier in this thread.

Here are the inks,

and this is what it'll look like when it's finished.

It's one of the best covers Tim's ever done, in my personal opinion - and it does exactly what it should, because I desperately want to read that issue now, especially in light of Tim's comment just now.

Thanks Mark, now Tim's comment makes more sense to me. It also makes me want to grab the issue.... it looks like like one of the most emotional of the covers.

Here are the pencils,

and this is what it'll look like when it's finished.

And they're putting an end to THIS?? i just dont understand it, man. I'm really not exaggerating when i say this has fucked up my day....

yes yes just venting.

Hello, I am new to the boards. Someone posted a link over at the geoffjohns.com boards about Tim's announcement and I have to say this just sucks! Vertigo letting Tim go is a huge lost for the book because Tim is putting out some of the most incredible covers I've seen. Mike's gone, Tim's gone and I just might be too! :angry:

Good luck with your future projects Tim, I'll be keeping an eye out for them! Is there a new Sandman Mystery theater in the works?

I just now saw this news, and it has indeed saddened me greatly. I'm an artist myself, Tim, and without a doubt your work has inspired my own with each new piece I see from you. Your work on Hellblazer has produced a number of my all-time fave covers, and as John said earlier in the thread: when I think of Constantine, I see your version in my mind's eye.

Thank you for 7 years of incredible covers.

Guest spiderlegs

Damn! That sucks!

It won't be the same without you, Tim. I can't believe I'm just now reading this thread...

I'm sure most of us will continue to follow your artistic trail, hopefully you'll come back and say "hi" from time to time?

You know I may have opened my mouth on the Sandman thing a touch early so let's try and keep that as low key as possible. Considering I'm saying this on the internet I'm not sure HOW it could be kept low key. I think I may have let the cat out of the bag. I know the cover is due right after SDCC so I just assumed people would already know about it. Apologies to Vertigo/DC if I spoke too soon. No one told me it was hush hush.

And just to clarify, the first link which John and Mark both posted are the INKS, not the pencils.

Though if anyone is interested in seeing them I can scan it real easy like.

- TB

And just to clarify, the first link which John and Mark both posted are the INKS, not the pencils.

I am.

Maybe if Vertigo wanted to save their "Flagship" title, they should actually treat it like a "Flagship" title, instead of their red-headed stepson! Just an idea, DC.....

I'm not surprised the movie didn't do a thing for the comic, and can't really believe that the higher-ups thought it would. It didn't help Hulk or D.D. and only helped Spidey and X-Men for the short term. Plus, any new readers who might've come to H.B. from "Constantine" would not find what they were looking for based on the movie anyway.....

It's been a great run of covers and you certainly do draw one of the best Johns!

I know you just said you can't say anything, so you can just ignore this, but there's a new S.M.T. series coming up?! I loved the series under Matt Wagner.

Glad someone finally asked about that from way back on page 1!

And thank you for being nice and low key about that Christian ;)

I like the initials thing. So if anyone does want to refer to this please follow Christian's example.

Not that it will do you any good at this early stage.

And Josh - I'll scan it and pop it to John if he will be good enough to post it for me.

Maybe post all three to make it easier to see the process?

- TB

You know I may have opened my mouth on the Sandman thing a touch early so let's try and keep that as low key as possible. Considering I'm saying this on the internet I'm not sure HOW it could be kept low key. I think I may have let the cat out of the bag. I know the cover is due right after SDCC so I just assumed people would already know about it. Apologies to Vertigo/DC if I spoke too soon. No one told me it was hush hush.

- TB

Sandman? what did I miss?

EDIT: never mind, should have read a bit further...

And thank you for being nice and low key about that Christian ;)

I like the initials thing. So if anyone does want to refer to this please follow Christian's example.

Not that it will do you any good at this early stage.

And Josh - I'll scan it and pop it to John if he will be good enough to post it for me.

Maybe post all three to make it easier to see the process?

- TB

And I know where to find the photograph :-'

Guest Guest

Just to say sorry to see Tim Bradstreet being fired as the cover artist.

Who made the decision, the editor, karen berger or some DC exec?

I've just been going through Tim Bradstreet's covers on the main website and it's amazing how much they've changed over the years.

Are any of Tim's earlier covers available in this format (with no logo or writing). It's nice to see them 'clean'. I think the main website has them in this format from around 170, and I think Tim started his run with Warren Ellis from issue 135(?).

I don't know if Tim actually paid his models, but if he did, hope the model for John is not too upset either, I think you may of mentioned his name before, but I can't remember.

Ooh, I just hate the word "fired".

I know it's a harmlessly intended comment (so please don't feel you've insulted anyone) but just to clarify for the unenlightened. . . .

I wouldn't necessarily consider it being fired. Being fired would indicate that I was let go for a myriad of possibilities, like acting unprofessional, being a flake and repeatedly missing deadlines, turning in sub-par work, in general . . . Not taking the job seriously. Fired would also imply that DC/Vertigo would not be willing to work with me again for the foreseeable future. And that is hardly the case. I am working with Vankin as we speak on a new project and there is another tasty tidbit waiting in the wings that I have been assured of a shot at (sorry to be so vague).

So, like I said, no harm in the comment. Just wanted to be crystal clear about my relationship with DC/Vertigo which has always been and continues to be a on the best of terms.

- TB

Yeah man, being fired is not a beautiful expression...

fire.jpg

Anyway, for me, you're the Ace in DC

img_big_acdc.jpg

Enough of visual crap jokes.

Does anyone at DC speak abuot collecting your covers in a book? I'm really interested.

Hello there. New to this forum, though I've been reading Hellblazer since the begining (Favorite runs : 1/Delano, 2/Jenkins, 3/Carey)

Never really was a fan of TimBradstreet, never minded too much his stuff though. Actually, must admit I like a bit better the latter ones, and the less "photorealistic" ones...

Then again, since I first read the name "Grant Golesh", i begun to remember colorist names! I love his work and name drop it quite often in comic book related conversations with fellow readers.

Too bad there'll be less visible work from him.

Does anybody (Tim?) have knowledge of his whole comic work? A list?

Best of luck,

AGS

BAH!

Somehow I missed this thread, and I need to sort through its many pages, but off the bat, thanks for the brilliant run, Tim! You've got one of the most recognizable and enjoyable styles in the business, and I guess there's consolation in this in knowing it'll mean you'll be working on other characters that could use a bit of the ol' Bradstreet touch...