Mercury727

Y: The Last Man

Anyhow, after steadily making my way through Freezes Over... and now searching through eBay for my next JC fix, my many searches have led me to come across this interesting little title. I think I read an issue of it from some DC Vertigo collection of issues that provided a "taster" of several Vertigo titles. As I recall, my first impressions were good but is it worth my time seeking it out?

Yes. Very much so.

Its probably the title that I look forward to the most each month. It works well in trade paperback, but is also worthwhile to get serialised as it has a great cliffhanger every issue.

I got my friend into comics with it, and he loves it (along with Transmetropolitan)

Its also the only comic my girlfriend, who still looks at comics as an inferior medium, actually begs me for more of.

Yes, it's a very good series. It has like 3 or 4 trades out right now. And it's on issue #32 or #33 I think.

To #34 most recently. I have #32-34 as of yesterday and I'm really pleased with at least those issues, and I'm considering reaching back further into my comic store's backstock of YtLM. As it is, I know next to nothing about the book, except that something some years before the story told in the current issues killed all the males on earth except for a dude named Yorick. (I don't think that's any kind of a spoiler, since it's implicit in what I've read so far, and I'm going to guess is what the whole series is based on.)

So a good verdict then...damn and there's transmetropolitan I've yet to get around to...so many good comics, not enough lifetimes to read them all...

In the last six months, Y: The Last Man has featured the holy trinity of ninjas, pirates, and lesbians. This officially makes it Great. ;)

Yeah, the writing isn't bad either. There've been a few minor lulls in the story, but on the whole it's been excellent throughout, and as Josh observes, it's gratifyingly easy to pick up the story mid-point - it's very accessible. Definitely recommended.

Well currently, my limited collection of trade paperbacks can be put into 3 piles

1. The Batman trades (Arkham Asylum basically got me into the habit of buying TPB)

2. Sin City trades (coz I read The Dark Knight Returns and wanted more Miller)

3. The Hellblazer trades (I think I started reading them due to curiosity about the film)

So, there are many many different comics I've yet to look into, I just happened to wonder about Y coz I read a little bit of an issue in a comic shop recently...

Well I got it off eBay, got it delivered sat morning and finished it off in relatively quick time. A really good read, and page-turner. Both the writing and the artwork were quality, such a interesting exploration of a fairly simple premise, definetely gonna get the next TPB....

After reading the first two TPB's, it does seem like a lot of the women are fairly similar in appearence, just alternate skin colour and hair colour/style

That's Steve Dillo... erm, i mean Pia Guerra/Goran Parlov/Goran Sudzuka for you....

Guerra's art certainly isn't too far removed from Dillon's, but I still prefer it for some reason. The storytelling is similarly simple-but-clear, but I prefer Guerra's character designs...they're still fairly generic, but I just prefer the way they look. It's a purely subjective choice, though.

Don't get me wrong - i too prefer Guerra to Dillon, and in the cas eof this comic, you only needed an artist that can make a relatively clear distinction between drawing women and a man... :p

<<EDIT>>

though i also prefer Goran Parlovand Goran Sudzuka to Guerra.

in the case of this comic, you only needed an artist that can make a relatively clear distinction between drawing women and a man

Which would, indeed, rule out Dillon. Score one, Guerra!

In the last six months, Y: The Last Man has featured the holy trinity of ninjas, pirates, and lesbians. This officially makes it Great. ;)

Yeah, the writing isn't bad either. There've been a few minor lulls in the story, but on the whole it's been excellent throughout, and as Josh observes, it's gratifyingly easy to pick up the story mid-point - it's very accessible. Definitely recommended.

Those ninja's just about ended me collecting the pirates pulled me back in. The first 13 issues are amazing. The comic is much like film and the art is a bit lacking along withe some of of the newer covers.

I personally would go for Fables for Y the last man.

After reading the first two TPB's, it does seem like a lot of the women are fairly similar in appearence, just alternate skin colour and hair colour/style

In the last few issues, they all seem to be the same age. I'm not down with "the planet of young, sexy women" kind of comic, and hope to see more older women, like the submarine captain, who I think could be a good character if she got more development and panel time. Anyway, I'm wondering if the women are almost all so young through the whole of this title, and if so, what explains that.

*bump bump ba-bump bum ba bump*

So, anyone still reading this? I love this title, I started with the trades and have been picking up the single issues after vol. 6. Great stuff. One of the best concepts (or hooks) I've ever had the pleasure of reading.

I'm wondering how all the stuff in Asia will go down and just what & has to do with saving the male half of the race.

I'm reading it, and one thing that's puzzling me, is what happened to Pia Guerra, the original artist and co-creator of this series?

The art duties seem to have been completely taken over by Goran Sudzuka, who has a similar style.

As for the women being the same age, I wouldn't say that's a very accurate observation of the series as a whole.

True, but Josh made that comment 6 months ago......

And I'm pretty sure I read an interview with BKV in which he said Guerra would be returning to the title. I think that's part of the reason we've been getting so many stand-alone issues lately.

True, but Josh made that comment 6 months ago......

Yeah, I'm aware of that, but he never got an answer, and I'm just saying that as a whole, the series is not like that.

Considering the quality of the writing on the issues that I've read, especially the last three or four, I'm not presently inclined to look over the whole series. Though the last one wasn't bad.

I'm probably more inclined to think that the earlier stuff was better.

I think what's holding it back as a series is its not really going anywhere fast. The motivations for it proceeding at the moment is that they're chasing after a monkey.

Sure they noted Ampersand's importance, but he was used to such a comedic effect, that it hardly seems dire that he's been monkey-napped.