Mercury727

Y: The Last Man

Agree.

The first couple of trades (which encompassed the first 2 years) were fantastic. Thank crying baby jesus that there's a set finishing date on the series. It seems like BKV is just killing time 'til Guerra comes back and they can go into the home stretch.

I don't mind the fact that & was the comic relief and now he's the cure just 'cause Yorick's unconditional love for his monkey (yes I worded it that way on purpose, Rogan stay away) is well-established. How ninjas from the other side of the world found out about him is a whole 'nother thing.......

Uhh, Spoilers:

They derailed it a bit with him nearly missing out on meeting Beth in Australia and finding out she'd buggered off to Paris.

There's a lot still going on though, what with the Astronaut baby, his sister and that chick Yorick knocked up, the Australian spy and that Middle-Eastern Army-woman, and the Ninja monkey and Dr M. thing and such too.

Its almost like Vaughan's blown the plot out a bit too much without clearly focussing on where its going. Its not tight in such a way that these could all be satisfactorally reconciled if it were to be wrapped up in under a hundred issues.

Its like one of those wandering hero TV series, like Kung-Fu or something.

Hey Nightpunch, do you have any idea when the series is supposedly supposed to wrap up?

The whole thing is beginning to go the way of the X Files. The first three or four trades were - I thought - absolutely fantastic. Couldnt put them down, cracking dialogue, thrilling pace, some very clever ideas. But now it just seems to be breaking out in all kinds of different directions, none of which are exceedingly involving right now. Its still good, mind you, but I'm getting a bit skeptical and am hoping they're not going to drop right into X Files season 8 territory.

i don't think it stagnated... i just think y is switching focus... which is hard and how many stories can you write that have yorick in almost he same situation.... so in the first form it's not easy to write this type of story without retreading some familiar ground... yet the strength of the series is to evolve and hopefully for the better... I think the past couple of issues are just set ups for the last 18 issues... every comic does that...

Hey Nightpunch, do you have any idea when the series is supposedly supposed to wrap up?

According to his website BKV the book will end with issue #60.

18 months and counting....... should be enough time to knit the various plot threads together and make something cohesive.

i don't think it stagnated... i just think y is switching focus... which is hard and how many stories can you write that have yorick in almost he same situation....  so in the first form it's not easy to write this type of story without retreading some familiar ground... yet the strength of the series is to evolve and hopefully for the better... I think the past couple of issues are just  set ups for the last 18 issues... every comic does that...

Absolutely. &'s history was explained and the the nod to his ending up with Dr. Mann as being more than mere coincidence is intriguing.

This could be one of the best conclusions to a comic ever.

Or it could be a total letdown (like the way Lost is going).

So, I just read issue #50 and I didn't see no stinkin' explanation!

Sure, the stage is set for the big reveal, but that's not the same as actually making the big reveal.

Damn you Bendis! Er, damn you Vaughan!

Nor did I. Unless you have to know a bunch of stuff from previous issues so that what's in this issue provides the final pieces of the puzzle. But basically, I didn't get it, and my feeling right now is I'm less interrested in the title than I have been since I first bought an issue.

Nor did I. Unless you have to know a bunch of stuff from previous issues so that what's in this issue provides the final pieces of the puzzle.

Eh? I really don't understand this confusion - the issue was solicited with the promise that the who/what behind the plague would be revealed, and that's exactly what we got. No equivocation, no vague "if you remember a particular scene from 2 years ago it'll all make sense" nonsense - a character appears on the pages of this issue and explicitly talks about "the people responsible for the plague...namely me and my offspring". The how is yet to be revealed, of course, but that's not a surprise. Am I missing something?

I rather liked this issue, personally - not a huge amount happened until the last few pages, but those last-minute twists and revelations were more than sufficient to keep me interested in the final 10 issues.

That's my complaint---- the lack of details in the 'explanation' (which was really just the beginning of the explanation).

We know who was responsible (the Manns), and we know how it spread (genetic something-or-other), but not exactly what it is that spread and killed off the Y chromosome (or whatever happened).

But shit, only 10 issues to go and I'm already in for 50.....

Yea its sort of the beginning of the explanation. i think it does have something to do with something being introduced into the morphogenetic field (for more on this check out Morrison's Animal Man). So at this point i guess Yorick isnt really the last man afterall. does this mean the book's name will change?

best line - "Oh god not another robot...."

That's my complaint---- the lack of details in the 'explanation' (which was really just the beginning of the explanation).

But no-one even hinted we'd be getting an explanation, so I'm not sure why you were expecting one.

I'm hoping it's got nothing to do with the morphogenetic field thing myself, because even the characters within the comic acknowledged what extraordinarily dubious pseudo-science that stuff actually is. I suspect that was just another example of Vaughan's occasional tendency towards characters uttering "here's something the writer read recently...isn't it interesting?" dialogue.

But no-one even hinted we'd be getting an explanation, so I'm not sure why you were expecting one.

Oh, be fair. Why wouldn't they expect something more than a literal interpretation of the solicits? Having the fiftieth issue end with someone going "yeah, it's my fault. Find out why next month" is a shit idea.

Or a good cliffhanger which gives a major revelation while still leaving the reader wanting to read the next issue.

I'd gotten the impression that there'd be one from the traffic here on STH.

I'm sorry I spent time and money on this issue. I'm not sticking around for the final reveal - whenever the hell that will be.

The series has like 10 more issues to go. It's had it's ups and downs. Hopefully the final wont suck.

Or a good cliffhanger which gives a major revelation while still leaving the reader wanting to read the next issue.

A completely meaningless revelation. The person behind it was never the real question of the series. It was how, not who.

The fact that Yorick isn't actually the only man to survive the plague was quite an effective twist, I thought. Coupled with the little playroom full of clones, and it's got me curious. Still, if it didn't work for you, it didn't work for you. Horses, courses...

Alternatively: You dare to disagree with me about Y:TLM? You're the worst person in the world, you probably rape goats, and I'm LEAVING THE INTERNET FOREVER. ;)

The fact that Yorick isn't actually the only man to survive the plague was quite an effective twist, I thought. Coupled with the little playroom full of clones, and it's got me curious. Still, if it didn't work for you, it didn't work for you. Horses, courses...

Alternatively: You dare to disagree with me about Y:TLM? You're the worst person in the world, you probably rape goats, and I'm LEAVING THE INTERNET FOREVER. ;)

I'd buy this man a beer

I've been reading this title spottily, so can someone tell me if Yorick and agent 355 have had sex yet, and if so, what issue would that be in?