Mercury727

Y: The Last Man

No, not yet.

After a SHITTY couple of issues immediately after the last bit of discussion (my optimism about where the "big reveal" was heading, as seen at the top of this page? Totally unjustified, it turns out), the book's been well and truly back on form for the last few issues. With only 3 to go, I'd be optimistic about the chance of a decent ending if Vaughan hadn't fucked up so many times before.

A frustratingly inconsistent book, all-round.

Does anyone really believe that was the ending he had in mind all along? Jesus Christ, that was the worst finale I've ever read. And they made me pay extra for it. Piece of shit! And the hokey ending-I won't disclose it since it just came out-just blew great efforts of upchuck. I don't know that I've ever been this disappointed in a conclusion other than the fact that something enjoyed needed to be concluded.

Y was an interesting concept milked for way too long. I think it started getting silly in its 3rd year, but every once in a while, an interesting story would pop up. But the finale basically stripped all of its appeal from the book as far as I'm concerned. I know some will like it and take issue with my comments, but they will be wrong.

I just read the latest (and last) issue, and must say it pulled enough heartstrings to add this title to my "must own all tpb's" list... I won't get into spoiler territory now, i'll wait for the others to catch up, but the ending was a bit tamer and yet subtly more disturbing then i expected... i mean, i knew this was a dystopian future, but it kinda reminded me of Ellis's Brits In Space comic (what's it called? The Ministry of Space, was it?), with just a subtle hint as to the way things actually are...

And of course, that last splash page gave it that "the saga is over" sadness that really pushed it over the adge into the "good stuff" area, at least for me... I know, i know, it's cheap symbolism and emotional manipulation, but i'm a sucker for it, when it's done well.

Also, i am glad that the cover to the last issue wasn't just a tease. How did those old DC comics covers go: "Not an imaginary story! Not a What If! This scene actually occurs in this issue!"

Yeah, I rather liked the final issue. Not quite enough to salvage the entire series for me, which I think went off the rails badly a couple of years ago and never entirely recovered, but a surprisingly-strong finale. There were a few details which really didn't work for me, but my overall impressions, at least on a first read-through, were a lot more positive than I'd been expecting. It was, at the very least, good enough that I think I'm going to re-read the entire series at some point fairly soon, to see if some of the things I disliked at the time bother me less in retrospect.

Oh, and for what it's worth, I'm absolutely sure this is more-or-less the ending he had in mind from the beginning. Some details may have been fudged along the way, but the overall effect was suitably inevitable. It boils down to something so simple and universal -

Yorick saved the world (or, at least, gave it a chance to save itself, a chance which may or may not have been adequately taken) at the cost of his own happy ending

- that Vaughan's claim to have been writing towards this all along seems perfectly believable.

(Ah, now i figured out how to work the spoiler tags...)

The bit that mad eme shudder was

the "free man" line Yorick's clone slipped through... I guess saving the world didn't mean they would improve it in any way. And did i get it rright - most of the world is still run by women, but Russia, having a Tzar, maybe trying to have as much of 'em as tey can?

And i agree with Mark - the series managed to lose some of it's greatness and momentum a dozen or so issues ago, and the last few issues seem to have been a bit... less informative than i would have hoped. But still, makes me feel good knowing there's one more finished Vertigo series that i can try and get people to read, now that it's over...

Loved that finale. A bit sentimental but only to the extent that I felt the right kind of sadhappy that one feels at a good ending and not to the extent that I rolled my eyes. These last few issues were truly excellent. I really wish they'd pruned some of the excess baggage that had plagued the series in the last couple years. If that had happened, this would be up there with the comics that I have special fondness for. Very effective last issue, all things considered. I'm happy to be one of the people that Slinker considers wrong!

Yeah, reading it a second time has removed most of the reservations I had first time round. A really excellent finale.

I had to grudgingly admit that it was a very good final issue, but Brian K. Vaughn is still on the list. He knows why. He's at the top of the list now, too, since Robert Jordan went and died.

shia is actually in talks to be in y the last man he denies it but I think he talking about it

Yeah, that sounds like decent casting to me.

I've got a feeling that Y:TLM could work pretty well as a film, actually - the core concept, and most of the characters, are strong, but the comic had some pretty drastic ups-and-downs in terms of quality. Streamlining the plot down to something a lot more concise might iron out some of those wrinkles, while still keeping enough of what made the series work in the first place. I'm not holding my breath, but if the film project does end up happening, I don't see any reason not to be mildly excited about it.

They're going to make it a trilogy. I think the first movie will have the first 13 issue's and then the 2nd will have the later half or something.

I hadn't heard that - it's a shame, really, since I think the concept could be done justice to easily enough in one movie. Still, Vaughan's said plenty of times that, while they'll share a starting- (and, presumably, finishing-)point, the movie will have a very different narrative arc from the comic, so it's still possible that he'll fix some of the stuff which really didn't work.

I recall him saying that the end of The movie and the comic will be very different. So that for people who haven't read the comic won't get spoiled when they see the movie.

*bump*

Just finished Y: The Last Man, and my reaction was almost entirely positive, but that may have to do with the fact that I read the series in a week and not over the course of several years. Some of the plot machinations went a little off the rails periodically, and especially in the last 10+ issues there were way too many separate groups of people wandering around for me to keep them straight, but it definitely kept me reading.

Plus I'm always happy to see dykes in comics. :tongue: My girlfriend introduced me to YTLM, actually: she says Dr. Allison Mann is both the only Asian lesbian and the only convincingly drawn Asian woman she's ever seen in comics. I think Hero is my favorite character, though.

I'd be interested to see what other people thought about the resolution of Alter's storyline--believable? Unbelievable?

Just read the final collection and Im with all the lovers of the book here. Im not going to contest anyone's opinions about the ups and downs of quality but I certainly agree there were bits I liked less and more than others. But I find BKV such a good writer and Pia Guerra such a good artist, they can always tell a story brilliantly, even when the story itself isn't quite as good. And Yorrick's journey was always consistent, even if the plot elements governing it were sometimes a l'il iffy.

But moments like where they get caught stowing on a Russian train and guards suddenly find Yorrick's Preacher 'Fuck Communism' lighter just makes me grin so broadly! :)

Jessie - Alter's plot resolution was good for me although I guess you're a little unsure. To me she was really clinging on to the past and it was one of those storylines that you need to change if you and the world are ever to move on. Not only was it a nice resolution for Alter (IMO) but I think that her actions to what she did to a few other characters (no names ;) ) and Yorrick seeing how pathetic Alter was allowed Yorrick to move on and finally make the decisions that completed his journey. So, in short (too late), not only do I think Alter's resolution was great but I think it was a big part of the ending of the whole series.

In general, the final issue - I was slightly thrown by it to begin with but I absolutely loved every single one of the flashbacks that told us what had happened to all the supporting cast. Every single one. Not only because they were characters in their own right who we needed closure for but because of how they all affected Yorrick.

And I thought I'd read that it was that final PANEL BKV had always had since the first issue. I wasn't sure about the final issue on my first read through until I got to that final panel.

Fucking fantastic.