Guest spiderlegs

Neil Gaiman's NEVERWHERE

Guest spiderlegs

Picked up #1 today. Good start, I'm hooked.

I thought the first installment showed some weird possibilities. Door is an intriguing character. The two guys chasing her were menacing.

I haven't read the book. Was there a TV show at some point? I found a torrent for one that never has any seeders...

umm....It was a TV mini-series or a made-for-TV movie, I think exclusively aired on the BBC. Not positive.

It is currently available on DVD (2-disc set). My girlfriend bought it for me two Christmases ago. Worth your time to hunt down.

Plus, I'd recommend the actual novel most of all. It's in cheap paperback, is still in print, and can probably be found for nothing on Amazon used.

Neil Gaimans commentary on the DVD is well worth a listen too. I think it's one of the only things I've watched in it's entirety with the the commentary on.

Neil Gaimans commentary on the DVD is well worth a listen too.  I think it's one of the only things I've watched in it's entirety with the the commentary on.

the book and tv series are great (the tv series suffered due to the tiny budget it had, though). I'm not so sure about the comic, since they turned Door into this cliched goth chick.

Ah, I get it. She's called 'Door', see, so with a keyhole around her eye, she's...

Gah.

The Neverwhere TV series was worth watching (it was aBBC miniseries, yes), and had a cracking cast, but definitely suffered from the low budget. The novelisation fleshed out the story somewhat, but it was (I believe) Gaiman's first full-length prose novel, and it really shows in the writing. American Gods really showed how much he's improved as a novelist- I'm really rather looking forward to Anansi Boys. Neverwhere's prose really clunks a little at times. Still well worth a read though, especially if you can't find the TV series - there are plenty of good ideas in there, and it's definitely still got flashes of Gaiman-esque inspiration.

I read a couple of chapters of Anansi Boys via a friend who was lucky enough to get the special preview edition or whatever it's called (you can find it easily enough on Ebay). It's very good, but much more Good Omens than American Gods (as in, it's very funny).

I see "American Gods" as equivical to "Sandman", in that it is Neil's quintessential novel, and I never want him to try to redo it. Just as I never want to see him try to redo his comics masterpiece. They need to standalone on their pedestals.

"Anasasi Boys" would be a horrible letdown if Neil tried to redo the magic of A.G.

And, yes, "Neverwhere" did suffer a bit from being so early in Neil's prose career. It's certainly still a very good, very entertaining book that is more than worth owning. But, it's no "American Gods"!

No matter how many times I've read Good Omens, I don't get past even the author's page without laughing! (Much like watching Rosencranz and Guildenstern...) I've gone through numerous copies just lending it out.

Eager for Anansi Boys.

Also eager to check out the comicization of Neverwhere.

Thanks for the early review!

Guest Guest

I remember the tv series, wasn't lenny henry (a comedian from dud-ley) behind it?

I don't remember much, but liked the concept. I wonder why the BBC has never repeated it, especially since Neil Gaiman is a famous book author now.

The BBC should get Neil to write an episode of dr who as well, I mean if they get Stephen 'credit card fraudster' Fry to write one, I can't see why they couldn't ask Neil. I'm not too sure if Neil is a dr who fan, but I know he like the hitchhiker books.

I still wonder why good omens was never made into a film...

I love my Neverwhere DVD set. the commentary is great and despite all its budgetary problems I think we can all agree it has one of the best credits sequences ever (thanks to music by Brian Eno and imagery by Dave McKean).

I remember the tv series, wasn't lenny henry (a comedian from dud-ley) behind it?

Yeah, he got "devised by" credits, alongside Gaiman. I'd be interested to know which parts he contributed, and whether he's mentioned anywhere in the Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere comic.

The BBC should get Neil to write an episode of dr who as well, I mean if they get Stephen 'credit card fraudster' Fry to write one, I can't see why they couldn't ask Neil. I'm not too sure if Neil is a dr who fan, but I know he like the hitchhiker books.

Has anyone read his Douglas Adams book? Does it make much mention of Adams' time on the Baker Doctor Who series? I can imagine him being a fan of those episodes.

I'd like to see Grant Morrison or Alan Moore having a crack at Who, but Moore has said that he's not interested in the Doctor Who series whatsoever, even if he did used to write Who comics.

I still wonder why good omens was never made into a film...

I think Gilliam was the only one championing it, and he ended up moving on to something else, either Fear and Loathing or Don Quixote. To be honest, I can see it being mutilated onscreen; it's got a pretty anticlimactic ending...

Yeah, he got "devised by" credits, alongside Gaiman. I'd be interested to know which parts he contributed, and whether he's mentioned anywhere in the Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere comic.

Basically, Henry and Gaiman are good friends (so much so that Lenny Henry is apparently doing the audiobook version of Anansi Boys), they wanted to do something together and Lenny Henry came up with the idea of doing a "fantasy series about homeless people". Gaiman took it from there, with the occasional input from Henry.

Guest spiderlegs

I've allocated the 6 episodes if anyone is interested. I couldn't find them anywhere locally.

What the hell happened to Door? I haven't picked up the comic yet but I'm guessing that's the Marquis to the right. He was always my favorite character in the book :biggrin: I haven't read Anansi Boys yet but I plan to since Gaiman's coming to LA this October for a signing.

Guest spiderlegs

I've watched 2 episodes. It's OK. Low budget, but OK. It's dated by the cellphones they use. Did it comeout in the mid-90s? Late 90s?

I've watched 2 episodes. It's OK. Low budget, but OK. It's dated by the cellphones they use. Did it comeout in the mid-90s? Late 90s?

1997, I think.

Anyway, I read the first part of the comic just now and it's atrocious. none of the charm of the original, and the artwork is not so good (it's too busy and every London Below character looks like a reject from a goth party)

The first issue was great! I was more than curious about the story and with Carey writing it - I mean come on. Door's a intriguing character, along with her two sadistic hunters.

I guess I fit in between Josh W and Sethos on this one. I like the art a lot, really I think it's the best thing about the book. I'll agree that Door is intriguing, but I thought the two guys hunting her were pretty cliche. I mean, one ratty little lowlife creep with a pretentious way of talking, and a huge goon friend to keep people from smacking the shit out of the little guy. I liked the personal interactions more so than any of the magicky stuff, really. I've got strong mixed feelings about this one. I don't regret having bought this first issue, but I disliked or was uninterested in enough of the characters that I probably won't pick up any more issues of it.