Guest spiderlegs

Neil Gaiman's NEVERWHERE

I mean, one ratty little lowlife creep with a pretentious way of talking, and a huge goon friend to keep people from smacking the shit out of the little guy.

Well that sounds quite sad, because Croup and Vandermer were the most excellent things in the tv series, and the book. !

You didn't see the program, Josh?.

The book is quite good too, but the tv series rocked hard!

I mean, one ratty little lowlife creep with a pretentious way of talking, and a huge goon friend to keep people from smacking the shit out of the little guy.

Well that sounds quite sad, because Croup and Vandermer were the most excellent things in the tv series, and the book. !

The book is quite good too, but the tv series rocked hard!

well, that is my whole problem. Croupe and Vandemar just have no presence in the comic. they show up way too soon in Richard's apartment and have none of the wild threatening manner of the tv series/book. I keep on thinking that this is probably what a Hollywood produced version of Neverwhere would look like.

and I HATE the look of the Marquis.

No, in fact I'd never heard of it until people here started talking about the comic.

I just read issue #1 of this. A bit shit, wasn't it?

utterly shit, even. the art is uninspired (the Beast of London looks like any old fantasy monster; except for a single glimpse of St. Paul's in the background, this could have been any city in the world; etc etc) and the adaptation is both too hurried (I do believe most humour has been removed) and too slow (the first three pages). I have to say that Carey's captions are awful. Sigh, I can't understand how a man who has managed to take one Gaiman creation and made it fly (Lucifer), can mangle this up so badly.

a real disappointment, won't be buying the rest of it.

Well, "Lucifer" is the brain child of Carey just using the template of the Gaiman.

This is an adaptation. I don't think you can compare the two. A totally different creative mind-set, involved.

Guest spiderlegs

Really? Shit? Come on, it wasn't THAT bad. You saw no potential at all? Really?

Guest spiderlegs

I'm watching the show, and it isn't THAT great. I'm being entertained, surely, but it is what it is. The sound was recorded badly in some parts, even. I dunno, I don't see an ocean worth of difference in the comic and miniseries.

Really? Shit? Come on, it wasn't THAT bad. You saw no potential at all? Really?

Yeah, there's potential, because there are some good things in the first issue, but IMO the subsequent issues needs to be better to make the series worth reading.

BTW, the writing and art on the Marquis do nothing for me. If he's the favorite character of many people who follow the show or read the book, the creative team did a poor job of translatiing him to the pages of this title.

I'm watching the show, and it isn't THAT great. I'm being entertained, surely, but it is what it is. The sound was recorded badly in some parts, even. I dunno, I don't see an ocean worth of difference in the comic and miniseries.

the pacing is off, but especially, the dialogue is off. completely.

BTW, the writing and art on the Marquis do nothing for me.  If he's the favorite character of many people who follow the show or read the book, the creative team did a poor job of translatiing him to the pages of this title.

carabas.jpg

granted, he may not look like much, but he certainly was the best character in the series. as for his intro in the book:

Richard was rather relieved. Now he would go home and explain to the girl that nothing had happened. Then he would call the Appropriate Authorities, and they would Sort It All Out.

He crumpled the paper into a tight ball, and tossed it towards the dustbin.

What Richard had taken for a pile of rags unfolded, expanded and stood up in one fluid motion, and a hand caught the crumpled paper oin mid-air.

'Mine, I believe,' said the Marquis de Carabas.

He wore a huge trenchcoaty, and high black boots, and raggedy clothes. His eyes burned white in a dark face. And he grinned white teeth, momentarily, as if at a private joke of his own, and bowed to Richard, and said 'De Carabas, at your service, and you are...?'

'Um,' said Richard. 'Er. Um.'

'You are Richard Mayhew, the young man who rescued our wounded Door. How is she now?'

'Er. She's okay. Her arm's still a bit - '

'Her recovery time will undoubtedly astound us all. Her family had remarkable recuperative powers. It's a wonder anyone managed to kill them at all, isn't it?' The man who called himself the Marquis de Carabas walked restlessly up and down the alley. He was always in motion.

'Somebody killed Door's family?' asked Richard.

'We're not going to get very far if you keep repeating everything I say, now, are we?'said the Marquis, who was now standing in front of Richard. 'Sit down,' he ordered.

Richard looked around the alley for something to sit on. The Marquis put a hand on his shoulder and sent him sprawling to the cobblestones.

'She knows I don't come cheap. What exactly is she offering me?'

'Sorry?'

'What's the deal? She sent you here to negotiate, young man. I'm not cheap, and I never give freebies.'

Richard shrugged, as well as he could shrug from a supine position. 'She said to tell you that she wants you to accompany her jome - wherever that is - and to fix her up with a bodyguard.'

Even when the Marquis was at rest, his eyes never ceased moving. Up, down, around, as if he were looking for something, thinking about something. Adding, subtracting, evaluating.

Richard wondered if the man was quite sane.

'And she's offering me?'

'Well. Nothing.'

The Marquis blew on his fingernails and polished them on the lapel of his coat. Then he turned away. 'She's offering me. Nothing.' He sounded offended.

Richard scrambled back up to his feet. 'Well, she didn't say anything about money. She just said she was going to have to owe you a favour.'

The eyes flashed. 'Exactly what kind of favour?'

'A really big one,' said Richard. 'She said she was going to have to owe you a really big favour.'

de Carabas grinned like a tiger sighting a lost peasant child. Then he turned on Richard. 'And you left her alone?' He asked. 'With Croup and Vandemar out there? Well, what are you waiting for?'

He knelt down, and took a small metal object from a pocket. he pushed it into a manhole cover at the edge of the alley and twisted it. The manhole cover came up, easily; the Marquis put away the metal object, and pulled something out of another pocket that reminded Richard a little of a long firework, or a flare.

He ran his had along it, and one end erupted into scarlet flame.

'Can I ask you a question?'said Richard.

'Certainly not,' said the Marquis. 'You don't ask ay questions. You don't get any answers. You don't stray from the path. You don't een think about what's happening to you right now. Got it?'

'But - '

'Most important of all"no buts. Now: we have a damsel to undistress,' said De Carabas. 'And time is of the essence. Move!'

it might just seem like little details but it all makes a world of difference to me.

ok, and it just might be I'm taking this personally because I always wanted to adapt Neverwhere into a comic book myself :blush:

the Marquis from the tv series is the guy who beat Rose on the Weakest Link on Doctor Who.

"where's my money?!"

Bear in mind that I didn't think the TV show was particularly great either, but the major flaws in that are largely forgivable due to extreme budgetary constraints. The novel is a lot better (a long way from perfect, but definitely the best version of the story), but the comic really didn't work for me at all. The dialogue was awkward, the pacing was way off, and the art was piss-poor - trite, uninspired character designs and badly laid-out, overly-busy panels. It really did nothing for me, I'm afraid, and I won't be bothering with the rest of the series. A real disappointment.

Bear in mind that I didn't think the TV show was particularly great either, but the major flaws in that are largely forgivable due to extreme budgetary constraints. The novel is a lot better (a long way from perfect, but definitely the best version of the story), but the comic really didn't work for me at all. The dialogue was awkward, the pacing was way off, and the art was piss-poor - trite, uninspired character designs and badly laid-out, overly-busy panels. It really did nothing for me, I'm afraid, and I won't be bothering with the rest of the series. A real disappointment.

you said it better than I did, but yeah, exactly.

I wonder how other people who are not familiar with the book or TV series at all feel about the comic though. Having read the book already I also wasn't impressed with the way the characters were designed, Door in particular. I'm kind of interested in how the Marquis is literally black as soot but that also takes away his human aspect for me. Now he looks like a creepy mime or something... I didn't have much of a problem with the dialogue. For me #1 wasn't enough to form a particular opinion but I hope #2 can keep me interested otherwise I'll be dropping this one too.

I just wanted this bumped up since I am thinking about Neil Gaiman/his stories and this thread will help...