TheMojoPin

What's your favorite adapted comic book film?

I still think of X2 as "just good" - perhaps I should see it again. I saw it a couple of times, and was struck by how bitty the whole thing felt - it's all very well having multiple characters to carry the story, but if you can't combine them into a single narrative with cohesion and drive, it's not really worth it. The Wolverine/Lady Deathstrike fight was rubbish, too - clumsy, too-fast cutting really took the edge off the much-vaunted brutality. Again, if they couldn't get a fight as brutal as they wanted past the censors, they'd have been better off filming a different sequence, because that one just felt like it had been edited to pieces.

I liked a lot of the film, but as a whole, it slightly underwhelmed me. As I said, I should probably see it again, though.

Guest spiderlegs

Neither Xfilm did much for me, even though I tried to get into them. I felt like I waited for something to happen all the way up to the closing credits.

Spawn was OK, but I never really got into the character.

I thought of Smallville which I've happened to catch every now and then. It's not a film, but it does just as well as any of the other Superman movies, maybe even better.

Guest spiderlegs

The R rated director's cut for SPAWN was definitely better than the theatrical release.

Forgot about Hellboy, definetely one of the more satisying comic book films I've ever seen, impressed me so much I didnt even notice all the continuity errors and so forth that appear to be rampant throughout this film, see http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0167190/goofs for a list of them.

Did they not release a Director's Cut of Hellboy or am I mistaken?

Forgot about Hellboy, definetely one of the more satisying comic book films I've ever seen, impressed me so much I didnt even notice all the continuity errors and so forth that appear to be rampant throughout this film, see http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0167190/goofs for a list of them.

Did they not release a Director's Cut of Hellboy or am I mistaken?

yeah, and while it's only about 5-10 minutes longer I thought was a lot better (it even stops the continuity prob of the camera mentioned on that page. I think some of those goofs aren't really goofs though: not everything has to happen on screen).

Best Comic Movies In no particular order

Superman: The Movie

I love all the Superman movies because of Cristopher Reeve although 3 and 4 are pretty bad. I love the Smallville stuff in 3 though and the Clark Kent vs. Superman fight. I love 2 but I think Richard Lester really did the film an injustice. The scenes that Richard Donner shot for Supes 2 were brilliant and much more in keeping with the first film and much more loyal to the comics. Donner's Superman 1 was a masterpiece.

Spiderman 1 and 2.

You put Sam "Evil Dead" Raimi and Spidey together and you cant lose.

The Crow.

Once again. Like Chris Reeve you couldnt have found a better Eric Draven than Brandon Lee.

Batman

Tim Burtons Batman was excellent. The only reason I dont have Batman Begins in this list is I wish they had stuck a little closer to Batman: Year One. But it was excellent too.

Road to Perdition.

What can I say? Excellent.

Batman: Mask of the Phantasm

Probably the best Batman Film ever made.

Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker

Really good too.

Sin City

It was like watching the comics come to life.

Hellboy

Very loyal to the books.

Great but Flawed Comic Book Movies

Daredevil

Original cut was very poor but the Director's Cut improves the film immensely. Still not spot on but pretty good in its original uncut form.

X-Men

Really great but not perfect. I believe this is mostly because Fox did not let Bryan Singer have full control and cut his production time in half. His original vision would have been awesome with much more character development and a story with a little more room to breathe. It looks like he has complete freedom on Superman Returns and it sounds incredible.

Piss Poor Adaptations of Great Comics that need to be remade right.

Constantine

They ignored almost everything important to they character. They made an okay movie. The movie just had nothing to do with the comic book.

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

Oh my God! Did they just look at the cover. This was awful despite a great cast.

Why does Hollywood have to piss on all of Alan Moore's creations.

Swamp Thing

Horrible B movie. To be fair it tries to be loyal to the characters original origins but looks like it was made for $5 and turns our favorite elemental into a joke. I really love the comic though and this really needs to be given the justice it deserves.

LXG!!!!!!!!!!

Just kidding. :D

Sin City's probably my numero uno, but I've yet to see Batman Begins. However, I'm starting at a deficit with that flick because I do not like Bale or Cruise's Arm Candy.

And I *hate* that Humvee-looking Batmobile.

I enjoyed X-Men but thought Singer had bitten off more than he could chew with X-2 - too many characters, too many plots, too many damned climaxes at the end of the movie. And it was sad to see the Brotherhood of Mutants reduced to just two people sat at the back of the X-Men's plane like a couple of naughty schoolkids at the back of the class.

Favourite comic book movie is probably still either Sin City or Ghost World. Or Hellboy. Or Blade. Or...

I enjoyed X-Men but thought Singer had bitten off more than he could chew with X-2 - too many characters, too many plots, too many damned climaxes at the end of the movie. And it was sad to see the Brotherhood of Mutants reduced to just two people sat at the back of the X-Men's plane like a couple of naughty schoolkids at the back of the class.

Thank you, James - I said pretty much the same thing a month or two ago, and no-one agreed with me. But we're right, damnit.

Mind you, I didn't think the first X-Men was that awesome either - it was a promising enough start to a franchise, but felt a bit thin as a film in itself. It really could have done with being half an hour longer, and having a bit more 'stuff' happen, so as not to feel quite so much like a hurried showcase for the characters...