JohnMcMahon

The Fantastic Four

Although when seeing him as Ben Grimm, I kept expecting him to beat the holy hell out of Victor and put a gun in his mouth, Vic Mackey style.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Acting was good all around. Especially Julian McMahon. But especially Michael Chicklis.

"Even Lisa?"

"Especially Lisa! But especially Bart!" :D

Sorry, that's what your post reminded me of.

Good review though.

Acting was good all around. Especially Julian McMahon. But especially Michael Chicklis.

"Even Lisa?"

"Especially Lisa! But especially Bart!" :D

Sorry, that's what your post reminded me of.

Good review though.

Consider me caught!

Also it was kinda wierd/funny when Ben Grimm is calling out Victor Von Doom's name saying, "Vic...Vic...?" My girlfriend and I were the only ones laughing.

Happy days at Marvel as this looks like being a huge surprise hit - just under 60 million made in the opening three day weekend!

welllllll... 60 million is very very good, but the problem is that the reviews and word of mouth is very bad, which means it might take a sharp plunge next weekend. don't forget, this movie cost about 100 million to make, and that's without ad costs...

When me and Lou were at the con y.d., everyone kept asking us if we'd seen F.F. yet, and everyone said they really liked it and we needed to see it. So, maybe word of mouth isn't so bad.

And, I haven't read any horrible reviews yet. They all pretty much say, "Fantastic Four? It should've been the Moderately Good Four!"

Thanks for all the comments.

this means I skip it in the cinemas and catch it on video, where I can do a FF during the s****y parts. Have to stay in form. I also post in a curse-free forum.

Without viewing the film, I dont like JAlba as Inv Girl. Feels wrong, though I havent gone the hang of why......

Because she looks totally different than Sue, and she's a sex-object, whereas Sue had more of a hidden sexuality. Sue was a motherly figure, who just happened to have a hot body and a pretty face. Sue didn't play that part of herself up, whereas casting Alba is putting the focus directly on the fact that Sue is a piece of hot ass.

I finally saw the film. It was good enough. I liked it, except I didn't like the origin of Dr. Doom. Most people say the film is either

a.)boring or b.)not dark enough.

Well, the thing you need to remember about it being boring is that not everyone on Earth has read F.F. comics and knows their origins. They can't just go out and start beating up super-villains, you need to establish how they became superheroes and their personalities first.

As for it not being dark enough....COME ON! It's the freakin' F.F.! If anyone has ever read their comic, they'll know that the F.F. are not Batman or Daredevil! I would have enjoyed it being even more light-hearted actually....

It also gives Reed the most personality he's had in years upon years ("no Sue, you need to strip first!" :lol: )....OK, Reed has never really had a personality in the comic!

OK, that's from the early-90s! That DOES NOT COUNT!

Every woman wore bikinis and bras on every panel of every comic no matter the situation, and they all had triple D breasts.

Plus, every man was abot 400 lbs of pure muscle and had a fully loaded pair of tights.

Go back to the Stan Lee/Jack Kirby F.F. for the REAL Sue.

The Things Rubber suit and Doom's plastic looking armor turned me off from the beginning.

Why cant people understand you have to treat the story seriously for it to work!

I would have gone for Galactus and had a whole end of the world/Revelations theme ala Alex Ross' Marvels.

Haven't seen this movie, Don't plan on it. Iwoan Gruffud was alright in King Arthur. But most 20 year olds agree that Jessica Alba can do no wrong.

I just saw it tonight, actually.

Ioan was good as Reed, which is good on one level, and not good on another, because Reed is very, very boring, and heavens only knows what Sue sees in him.

Alba as Sue was tolerable, surprisingly. No, she has no credibility as a scientist, but then, this is probably the most cheesily contrived comic ever to hit the newsstands, so thumbs up on her.

That dude who played Johnny was perfect. But jeez, did he have to be *so* cocky? If he wasn't complete eye candy, hmmmph. :)

Chicklis as Ben Grimm was also surprisingly good. The costume, on the other hand? Not so much.

Julian McMahon was tolerable. It helped that he was playing a superpowered version of his Nip/Tuck role.

Overall, what can I say? I've never liked the FF, but this movie really was it. So, cheers to pulling off a rather faithful FF movie, that was OK for a mindless hour and a half, but do keep in mind that the FF always sucked.

Oh, and to all the reviews mouthing off about the violence---whaddafug? Yeah, it's there, but it's so much less than Spiderman. There's no blood AT ALL---compare that to Spidey's brutal beating in the first flick.

The F.F. does not suck! I'm telling! :icon_cry:

What does Sue see in Reed? Well, if you see when F.F. was first made, Reed was the father figure and Sue was the woman in need of domineering, so they met somewhere and Sue never really thought about what kind of a future a life with Reed would be like, and just accepted it all, like a good girl should (she was called the Invisible Girl until well into John Byrne's 1980s run on the book, for the love of Pete!). Of course, she fell for the Sub-Mariner from time to time, but it was not meant to last, because that opened up all those areas of emotionality that women are not meant to feel, so she went back to the safety of (numbing) Reed. And, because superhero comics really don't follow up on anything other than battles with super-villains and interteam relationships (Thing hate Torch! Thing quit Four! Nah, Thing really belongs here.), Sue has been trapped in a loveless, horribly contrived marriage for 40 some years! Very sad.....

Maybe someday Grant Morrison will write the actual F.F. comic and say the same thing he did about Cyclops and Jean Grey's marriage and save Sue.

this is probably the most cheesily contrived comic ever to hit the newsstands

the FF always sucked

Dude, what the fuck? That's some of Lee/Kirby's best comics you be dissin' on, homey, without even mentioning some stirling work by Byrne, Waid, etc.

I'm with Christian. The Fantastic Four are ace. Admittedly, they've often been written terribly, but the essence of the team is pure super-team magic. Great, fun comics.

In fact, I dare you to hunt down "Fantastic Four:Unstable Molecules" by James Sturm (now in Trade format!), and then tell us you don't love the F.F.!

OK....OK....I know it's not the F.F. of the ongoing comic....but, it's so DAMN good!

but do keep in mind that the FF always sucked.

I'll second that, only cause it pisses off Mark :p

obviously has no sense of wonder and probably no bastard soul.

...indeed. Nah I dont despise the Fantastic Four, Im just ignorant to any of their adventures. But if it has a microwave emitter that obeys the laws of physics to a t, Im so there! :D

but do keep in mind that the FF always sucked.

I'll second that, only cause it pisses off Mark :p

Not only that, but it makes the Baby Jesus cry.

How did we read that stuff?

Actually, those issues were sort of interesting because of the fact that Marvel blatantly put "The World's Most Commercial Comic Magazine" up top (instead of the usual banner). :lol:

Unfortunately, kids today won't understand that as only two of the characters are popular anymore.

"The World's Most Commercialest Comic Magazine", to be precise. :p

Damn, I'm glad I wasn't reading comics in the early/mid-90s. Even coming across these things as back issues, I cringe. Being confronted with them on the shelves, month in month out, must have been fucking horrible.