sethos

BEST PANEL EVER

Ha! The Joker sure has changed....

What is that from?

It's from something called "The 448 Page Superheroes Big Big Book". The sadly-defunct Dave's Long Box blog had a look at it here.

Incidentally, how much more awesome is that single page than anything else anyone's done with the Joker in the last 20 years' worth of comics*?

Answer: Very much. Very much more awesome. When even someone as imaginative as Grant Morrison can't come up with a more interesting revamp for the Joker than "let's make him even more murderous and psychotic" (ie., the exact same thing every other damn writer has done to "revamp" the character since The Killing Joke), it seems clear to me that the character is fundamentally broken. Perhaps the success of Ledger's version (who's still murderous as all-get-out, but not as an end in itself - he exists primarily to fuck with people's heads, which makes for a far more distinctive and entertaining character) will lead to a rethink sometime soon, but I'm not holding my breath.

*Honourable exceptions: Mad Love, Going Sane, and Gotham Central: Soft Targets

Incidentally, how much more awesome is that single page than anything else anyone's done with the Joker in the last 20 years' worth of comics*?

Agreed. As I was reading it I thought the same thing.

Agreed. As I was reading it I thought the same thing.

That is sheer genius because it seems in character for something The Joker might do and yet is hardly ever depicted as doing and that is just fucking with someone through the smallest of crimes.

Poor kid, who's going to believe it when he tells them that his report card was stolen by notorious psychopath The Joker. :laugh:

Why does the panel have "pie" typed next to it?

Is it from a dictionary with a joker panel for each word?

*runs off to write book proposal and find an agent*

Why does the panel have "pie" typed next to it?

Is it from a dictionary with a joker panel for each word?

I suspect that's exactly what it is. Some sort of children's book.

That might help explain why the Joker felt it necessary to expound upon the definition of a pie to Batman.

The world's greatest detective....yet confused when confronted by a pie...."this baked food that is a shell filled with fruit".

If we're doing any serious best-panel-evers, it's that Dark knight returns splash page in which a silhouetted Superman lifts/tosses a russian tank.

Supes is barely concentrating as he decimates the russian forces, instead he's going over his internal monologue to Bats.

The pages only dialogue box reads "We must not remind them that giants walk the Earth".

Stirring stuff.

A waste of a cake. 40 cakes minus one equals 39 cakes total for Luthor now. Will he share these cakes with his Secret Society of Super Villains? Thirty-nine cakes. Forty cakes minus 1 cake.

Christian, we were discussing multiplication.

If you can't refrain from irrelevant subjects, perhaps you'd feel more comfortable with your own subtraction-based thread.

Love that article, I've read it several times before, but let's be honest, he just chose 40 random Liefeld panels. It doesn't even have the Captain America tits one.