Mr. Tom Willecome

Constantine Review

You're allowed to sound like a Communist. Please, try more so to do this!

But, you are never allowed to sound like a Nazi. Nazis seem to have a great love for guns anyway.

Anyway....

There's a bit in the script where Constantine is pulling on his black coat and Angela quips about it being a tad nasty out for such a small jacket.  Consatntine smirks and retorts "Yeah, well me beige raincoat is down the cleaners love".

Note : I may be lying.

You're lying. Do I win a prize?

:p

That would be kinda cool, tho. Sorta like the 'yellow spandex' bit in the X Men flick.

Nazis seem to have a great love for guns anyway.

Yes, for themselves, but they don't want anyone else to have them.

I still think they should've had a scene where Keanu runs past Tim Bradstreet's model, stood in some doorway with a fag hanging from his mouth and a tan trenchcoat on. Tim's model gives him a "what the fuck?" glance and the shot's over in a brief second, but they've managed to win the grudging respect of the Hellblazer fans that're watching.

Two scoopers told us they got to see a test screening of Warner Bros.' Constantine last night and they sent us both a positive and negative review. First up is 'JBroce' with the positive look:

I saw a test screening of Constantine last night, in Lakewood, CA. It was very suspenseful, and made the crowd jump in at least 3 places. I'm not a jumper, and it got me a few times. Yes it was choppy at times, and the character development of his two friends wasnt enough. But constantine's character was well developed along with the lead females character. The love story that was mentioned by the other scooper had to be developed for him to make his decision in the end. and It was hardly the focus of the movie nor did it take away from the rest of the film. grade: B

And here are the negative thoughts from 'Marmion Bridewell':

There is a thin love story that doesn't really have any place in the film and is not believable at all do to the complete utter lack of chemistry between the two main characters. Bad direction, poorly written sparse dialogue, little or no action as well as character or plot developement. Surprisingly Keanu is pretty good in the role and a highlight. Gavin Rossdale's tasteful bit of acting is also a welcome surprise but he gets the Darth Maul treatment by being under used. All and all, it get's a C-. If it's reshot or in places as well as edited for pacing, it could be a C+.

I don't know if it's in some other thread, but just to be sure...

Maybe the positive person read it as a love story ?

I can see why they might, although I agree with your take on it, you will recall that the Stan Scud review said that the scenes with Constanteen and Angela were one of the strengths of that script.

Strangely, I have more time for the positive review, since the negative one seems to be craving an action adventure and who in their right mind wants Chaz developed ???

who in their right mind wants Chaz developed ???

I can see where he's coming from with that actually - Chaz pops up at the start, disappears for the guts of the movie and then shows up just in time for the end.

I wonder if he meant the Constantine/Ellie relationship ?

Well, I think if they go for the male & female lead ending up in a relationship, "Comstockteen" could possibly put every cliche in moviedom into this one movie.

I do agree with Adrian, partly, that the Negative Reviewer seems to be complaining at not enough action, which is what I personally (I'm sure many other fans here) was fearing this movie would become (namely: an action/adventure romp).

With whatshername being pulled violently backwards through a building and out its upper-story window, and the holey shitgun, can you seriously doubt that this is going to be an action/adventure movie?

Actually, though they use those scenes liberally in the trailer that they let us see, the script is much more atmospheric than that. Happily.

I am now thinking of the R-rated Constanteen as similar to the US Ring.

Tolerable in its own right but every time you think of the original you go ...

"oh, deary deary me".

But I may just be in a good mood.

Was the US Ring R-rated? It's not like there was a lot of gore in it...

It was PG-13. And a little less explicit than the Japanese one I think. Not that the latter had a lot of gore in it either.

You both miss the point.

The US Ring was diluted in several ways (mostly by giving it a spoonfed explanation). Nothing to do with the rating.

Constantine now has "I see Demon People" and the suicide attempt tacked on like a useless vestigial third arm.

Good to hear that Rossdale put in a decent performance - his character is probably the most interesting one in the flick, found it easy to 'see him' acting out various scenes from the script, reckon he'll be perfect for the part.

Quick movie making question then - if you submit a movie for classification, it then gets some sort of cert...but then you go back and reshoot/add scenes - presumably you have to submit it again, yeah ?

Yes.

Got halfway through that film, but was distracted by an advert on the bottom left.

HOLY FUCK, GUYS - THEY'RE MAKING A SEQUEL TO "ANACONDA!"