Mr. Tom Willecome

Constantine Review

It's already been and gone to little fan fare and much aversion in the States and Canada.

"Anaconda:The Tale of the Blood Orchids" or something it was called.

There are now LOTS of Anacondas slithering around. Some of them are bigger than the one from the original; and they are 60 feet long, 120 lbs., and can move 180 feet in 4 seconds. The last part boggles my mind, and I'm pretty sure it's not scientifically accurate :lol: .

Guest Guest_Shanice_*

The reviewer feels that John deserves the problems he has and has no sympathy for him. That's a good point , right? Isn't that what you (geeks :happy: ) wanted?

Yeah, I liked the guts of that review, just wish there was more concrete info coming out about reshoots/rating/scenes being added.

Kinda surprised that no Hellblazer readers with internet connections have gotten a sneak peek at it yet. Of, if they have, that they haven't dropped us a line.

Other than its last paragraph, which contradicts the rest, that review is the first one to have any connection to what any non-shill on this forum has said about the film. It seems pretty dead on in its criticisms as far as I'm able to judge them.

The reviewer feels that John deserves the problems he has and has no sympathy for him. That's a good point , right? Isn't that what you (geeks  :happy:  ) wanted?

It's right that John deserves many/most of the problems he has, but the unsympathetic portrayal suggests hamhanded writing or directing to me.

The reviewer feels that John deserves the problems he has and has no sympathy for him. That's a good point , right? Isn't that what you (geeks  :happy:  ) wanted?

It's right that John deserves many/most of the problems he has, but the unsympathetic portrayal suggests hamhanded writing or directing to me.

I thought you guys didn't want him to come off sympathetic in the film?

He does come across as a twat in the film, especially in his attitude towards ChaZ. Comic Constantine was always slightly condescending towards ChaS, but there was a friendly cameraderie between the two that made it seem acceptable - and ChaS often got to answer back (Son of Man, Setting Sun etc.).

In the movie, poor little LeBoeuf is chasing around after Constantine, so Keanu's immediately in a position of power over him - and he misuses that power by treating the kid like a piece of shit all the way through the flick.

Guest TearsInRain
He does come across as a twat in the film, especially in his attitude towards ChaZ. Comic Constantine was always slightly condescending towards ChaS, but there was a friendly cameraderie between the two that made it seem acceptable - and ChaS often got to answer back (Son of Man, Setting Sun etc.).

In the movie, poor little LeBoeuf is chasing around after Constantine, so Keanu's immediately in a position of power over him - and he misuses that power by treating the kid like a piece of shit all the way through the flick.

That was actually addressed in the pickups and reshoot in the last month. A lot of Chas's banter from the previous drafts went back in. That and John with Ellie.

A lot of Chas's banter from the previous drafts went back in.

Oh. Shit.

Still, Shia's agent will be happy!

That and John with Ellie.

Good to hear that - I liked her last scene but didn't think there'd been enough of her beforehand to give it any resonance for folks not familiar with the character.

I still haven't seen The Beef in anything, so who knows? He could be the next Corey Feldman rather than the next Dustin Diamond.

Shanice - the stuff missing from the movie now may, some of it, be in the extended dvd. Indeed some of it for sure will be,.

You can of course read that stuff in the novelization by, guess who, John Shirley, now out.

I just saw the movie myself though of course I'd read the script. I wish they'd delayed the novelization (I wrote that, if you're not up to speed) till I could see some rushes at least, a rough cut or something. It would have been a better novelization. They changed things from the supposed last draft. Dialogue, lots of other things.

Still, it was a better movie than I'd hoped for. Critics don't much like Keanu and his clint eastwood as a magician trip here doesn't work much of the time. The girl who plays Angela was good.

Alex Proyas or Terry Gilliam or Barry Sonenfeld mightve been more apt directors but this director, MTV Video Boy, brought a lot of ideas to it, you can tell, and it's very creatively directed. Some of his directorial storytelling mightve been sharper, but the imagery was very well realized. Some of the most creative, nicely rendered special effects I've ever seen. Fantasy fans should see this for the imagery: for the scenes of Hell, the face of the agglomerated-vermin demon, the blasted apart demon face talking, Lucifer walking through that cloud of slowly spinning glass, the way they shot Constantine trying to command Mammon into the light. . .There are scenes they cut that are in the script and in the novelization that will be in the extended dvd...and you know AFTER THE CREDITS there's a whole 'nother scene in this film, to see. It does close things out nicely.

-----------------------------------------

John Shirley is the author of numerous novels and books of stories, including the novels Cellars, Wetbones, City Come A-Walkin' , Eclipse, A Splendid Chaos, the recent Bram Stoker Award winning Black Butterflies from Leisure, and the rather notorious collection Really Really Really Really Weird Stories from Nightshade. He was one of the original cyberpunk writers with William Gibson, Rudy Rucker and Bruce Sterling. He was co-screenwriter of The Crow, has written scripts for television series and cable movies. He was lead singer and songwriter for various bands including the punk band SadoNation, the post-punk band Obsession (Celluloid records) and the post-cyberpunk band The Panther Moderns. Mp3s of his work are to be found through links at the fan-created website www.darkecho.com/JohnShirley. His blog is at www.johnshirley.net. He writes lyrics for the Blue Oyster Cult too as for example their new album Curse of the Hidden Mirror. His new novels for Del Rey books are Demons and Crawlers.