Mark

All Star Batman & Robin, The Boy Wonder

http://www.newsarama.com/dcnew/Batman/AllS...atmanRobin.html

I can't believe this is out next week.

I really, really want it to be good - nay, great. Sure, it's Jim Lee, so it'll be T&A-tastic, with lots of spectacular action and probably not too much substance. But there's nothing wrong with that, if it's done well. My hopes are currently high that, at worst, it'll be the high-octane, big dumb superheroic Batman story which Hush should have been but wasn't.

My hopes are currently high that, at worst, it'll be the high-octane, big dumb superheroic Batman story which Hush should have been but wasn't.

That's what I'm hoping for. It's looking good, too.

Looks interesting, what I really like in that piece is talk of that Batman/terrorist story thats being worked on....

Holy Terror, Batman.

No, seriously. That's apparently what it's called.

It's really called "Holy Terror, Batman"?

I was going to say that there already was a Batman story about terrorists ("Batman:Redemption"), but I guess this is going to be TOTALLY different! :lol:

A quick search of Google reveals that there is already a book called that, written by Alan Brennet from 1991.

Here's what Amazon said about it (no, it's not as funny as the title would suggest.... :icon_frown: ):

"This is an Elseworlds tale in the tradition of Gotham By Gaslight but released before the Elseworlds name came to be.

The time is the present but one different from the one we know. Oliver Cromwell did not die when he did in our world, instead he rose from his sickbed and persisted for another decade. Because of this, the mother church is in full control of Britain and the New World colonies (and much of the world that they have conquered). Here a young Bruce Wayne has finally found peace after the death of his parents. He is about to take his vows with the church when Inquisitor Gordon reveals that Wayne's parents were rebels and were executed my the Church in a way made to look like a random crime. Now Bruce does not know what to do.

His confidence in the church has been shaken and Bruce sets out to revenge himself on those that decided to kill his parents. But his quest leads him higher and deeper as he discovers that there are people with amazing abilities that have been either enslaved by the church or imprisoned. Bruce sees that his problem is not with the Church itself but with the way some men are wielding its power. With his faith strong Wayne continues to don an old demon costume of his father's and goes out to fight the injustice of the system.

This was one of the best of the Elseworlds tales. The alternate history worked well and the parallel heroes that Bruce discovers were very well done. While Gotham By Gaslight had a couple of sequels, this one has remained alone although it is rich enough to spawn many new tales. Check it out."

The original Batman: Holy Terror was illustrated by Norm "Mark's favourite Bat-artist" Breyfogle. It's...alright. Well illustrated, but not a great story.

http://www.newsarama.com/dcnew/Batman/AllS...atmanRobin.html

I really, really want it to be good - nay, great. Sure, it's Jim Lee, so it'll be T&A-tastic, with lots of spectacular action and probably not too much substance. But there's nothing wrong with that, if it's done well. My hopes are currently high that, at worst, it'll be the high-octane, big dumb superheroic Batman story which Hush should have been but wasn't.

It is exactly what you feared Mark. Vicki Vale running around the first few pages in bra and panties. Then there is a (no kidding) 2 page spread of Vicki Vale getting ready for her date with Bruce! The whole thing read to fast with a played out story with nothing new. And Batman appears only on the last page. Very underwelming 1st issue. I may give the 2nd issue a try hoping it gets getter.

Well...there wasn't much to that, was there? It wasn't awful - just very, very thin. Felt like watching the precredit sequence of a TV show - I'll check out the next issue, but as of now, colour me massively underwhelmed.

The Batman on the final page was pure Dark Knight Frank Miller, though - uncharacteristically nice work from Lee. Shame the rest of the issue consisted mainly of pin-ups, rather than panel-to-panel storytelling...

I'm not reading this (I'm broke...haven't bought a comic in over 3 months INCLUDING HB!!! :icon_cry: ) but I just wanted to say that I HATE Jim Lee's art. Sure, it looks dramatic, but everybody's figure looks the same to me, and the faces are COMPLETELY lifeless. I remember thinking his early Punisher War Journal stuff was alright, but I just read the Hawaii trilogy, which was in issues 15-17 or something like that, and it was a mess, so maybe I'm remembering wrong.

Anyway, Jim Lee is overrated as fuuuuuuuuuck.

No arguments from me. He draws nice enough pin-ups, but his story-telling is generally pretty lacking, and his figure-drawing tends to be frustratingly static - the first issue of this is no real exception to that. I've seen him do some nice work here and there (his early work on Uncanny X-Men wasn't bad, for a start), and he does pull out the occasional fantastic image, but generally I'm not a fan.

I have to admit that I love the idea of this being a tits'n'arse extravaganza with added gritty monologues and over the top violence. I think I'll pick the first issue up now.

If the next issue has a lot more story, that's exactly what it'll be. I stand by my hope that it's going to be a big dumb T&A action story, but as a first issue, this was disappointing largely because fuck-all actually happened. The pacing was shot right to hell, but there's definite promise - as I said, the whole issue was essentially a pre-credits teaser. Hopefully, the actual story will kick off next issue.

The 5-page(!) sequence of Vicki Vale standing around her appartment in bra and panties (complete with one of the most gratuitous ass-shots I've ever seen - Marcelo Frusin, eat your heart out) is everything you'd expect from Jim Lee, but I can't bring myself to entirely condemn it - the flesh is weak, and all that :icon_redface: . Hell, at least he's playing to his strengths. I think it's safe to assume that this is going to be a substantial hit with the adolescent male audience it's presumably being aimed at. It's no Year One, but it's not quite Batman Vs. Spawn either.

No arguments from me. He draws nice enough pin-ups, but his story-telling is generally pretty lacking, and his figure-drawing tends to be frustratingly static - the first issue of this is no real exception to that. I've seen him do some nice work here and there (his early work on Uncanny X-Men wasn't bad, for a start), and he does pull out the occasional fantastic image, but generally I'm not a fan.

I was always amazed by that story he did in the first issue of Flinch, which was this painted style. it really made go "Jim Lee did THIS????"

After reading it: Meh.

It did nothing for me. I felt the Vicki Vale in her undergarments was gratuitous. I wanted the first issue to have more excitement, but it was just average.

I'll stick around for a couple more issues, and hope that it picks up the pace.

I was always amazed by that story he did in the first issue of Flinch, which was this painted style. it really made go "Jim Lee did THIS????"

I remember liking that story quite a lot, especially the artwork and coloring...

I remember liking that story quite a lot, especially the artwork and coloring...

exactly. I was so happy that Lee seemed to have developed his art into something much more than it was, but that seems to have been a one off. too bad.

Still, i think he does only what people expect from him... taking the path of less resistance. I'm surprised he isn't more like Frenk Quietly - he does both mainstream, and Vertigo stuff...

Still, i think he does only what people expect from him... taking the path of less resistance. I'm surprised he isn't more like Frenk Quietly - he does both mainstream, and Vertigo stuff...

yeah, but Quitely's mainstream stuff still his miles and miles ahead of Jim Lee's art.

Agreed... Though, is Lee draws them too... samey and pretty, Quitely makes them all ugly and roundfaced... and let's not forget his shemale fetish... :p

Agreed...  Though, is Lee draws them too... samey and pretty, Quitely makes them all ugly and roundfaced... and let's not forget his shemale fetish... :p

I love Quitely's art. yes, it did take some getting used to, but what the hell...

Lee's a real artistic chameleon, he had a mean Frank Miller vibe going on in early issues of Deathblow.

As for this outing, really didn't think much of it - Bruce telling his date that he's been scoping out a 12 year old boy just read bloody weird!