Mark

All Star Batman & Robin, The Boy Wonder

I love Quitely's art. yes, it did take some getting used to, but what the hell...

Quitely is, for my money, one of the best artists currently working in Western comics, but I must admit that his New X-Men covers are among my least favourite examples of his work. That Emma Frost-as-a-shemale picture was ugly as fook.

All-Star Superman is, I strongly suspect, going to wipe the floor with this, creatively speaking - but I bet this sells more copies.

Lee's a real artistic chameleon, he had a mean Frank Miller vibe going on in early issues of Deathblow.

As for this outing, really didn't think much of it - Bruce telling his date that he's been scoping out a 12 year old boy just read bloody weird!

Yes, I knew it was going to this. Im still finding the ending a bit odd. Dick just sees his parents killed and he is grabbed by a man dressed as a bat and told he is being "drafted into a war". Could have been a little nicer to the kid.

I do like how Lee draws Robin though.

As for this outing, really didn't think much of it - Bruce telling his date that he's been scoping out a 12 year old boy just read bloody weird!

Then what will she think when she sees that the same young boy is now living with Bruce?!? :blink:

I'm surprised he isn't more like Frenk Quietly - he does both mainstream, and Vertigo stuff...

Are you seriously suggesting that Vertigo is significantly removed from the 'mainstream'? Naaah.

Lee's a real artistic chameleon, he had a mean Frank Miller vibe going on in early issues of Deathblow.

I agree. His work on the early Deathblow issues was very unique.

He adapted a different sort of style when he did that bit for Flinch.

And then he can turn around and do the standard super hero stuff.

That's sort of why I like him, he got a few styles.

ANyways, haven't read issue one yet but they are NOT interlocking covers. They don't run into each other. But I bought 'em both anyway.

I dunno I used to hate maleevs art. I couldnt stand it, but after reading "What if Karen Paige lived" in the What if...Why not trade. It kind of grew on me, Not enough to make me want to add DD to my list, but just enought not to hate on him anymore. I will pick up the trades before or After Bendis leaves, and jump on the book when Brubaker gets aboard.

I was planning on adding All Star Batman, but fogot and changed my mind.

"All Star Batman & Robin" has gotten pretty lacklustre reviews around the internet. And, everyone of them pretty well wonders why there is a half-naked chick walking around through half the book.

I always liked Alex Maleev's art and felt it fit perfectly with D.D.

The D.D. series was very much worth reading until issue #50. Bendis was on the very top of his game, and it was probably my favourite superhero comic at the time. Bendis just should've left after #50, because the tale he wanted to tell was done.

Of course, from what I've heard about how this current story-arc is going to end, it also sounds like he's going to ruin his entire run before he leaves!

"All Star Batman & Robin" has gotten pretty lacklustre reviews around the internet. And, everyone of them pretty well wonders why there is a half-naked chick walking around through half the book.

I always liked Alex Maleev's art and felt it fit perfectly with D.D.

The D.D. series was very much worth reading until issue #50. Bendis was on the very top of his game, and it was probably my favourite superhero comic at the time. Bendis just should've left after #50, because the tale he wanted to tell was done.

Of course, from what I've heard about how this current story-arc is going to end, it also sounds like he's going to ruin his entire run before he leaves!

Explain. Because I remember him saying that before he leaves a title, he likes to fuck it up and see how the next writer fixes his shit.

SPOILERS!!!!!!

In issue #50, D.D. beat the hell out of Wilson Fisk, the Kingpin, and proclaimed himself the new Kingpin of Hell's Kitchen.

Fisk's criminal empire was destroyed, and Fisk ran away from Hell's Kitchen.

Now, in the new story-line, from what I've read in Comic News, Bendis' final story-arc is all building towards Wilson Fisk returning and becoming the Kingpin again.

The whole focus of the D.D. title since Frank Miller was the writer has been D.D. battle with Kingpin, which finally ended in #50, setting the path for new stories. Except, Bendis really didn't have any stories to tell after he got rid of Kingpin!

So, I wouldn't say it has anything to do with Bendis messing up the series. He's just setting the title back up to the way it was before he was writing it.

Hopefully, Brubaker will do the same thing with D.D. he did in Capt. America, kill of the Kingpin in the first issue.

Well I will be jumping on the title a month before Brubaker joins the title full time.

Maybe Brubaker will kill the Kingpin and maybe he wont.

I dont really think he could make the killer a mystery, Unless he has it so Bullseye kills Fisk for not payng him what he wanted, and then takes over his empire and goes from being an assassin to a head boss and ruining Matts life.

And yeah I heard about that in the "Hardcore" arc or what King of hells Kicthen. Suposedly The last arc also deals with a lot of Matts old GF's coming back. Elektra, and some others.

I'll prolly order the trades off Ebay or amazon or tales of wonder after Bendis leaves. I mean I didnt do it for Captain America, but Daredevil is unique case and I would like to see how it went down.

Also check out the cover for Superman #212. Very different from the other covers in the series, very cool.

Batman and Robin #1 was pretty humdrum stuff.

I haven't read the last D.D., but I've been enjoying the DD series so far, maybe it's the whole feel of it or something, but it's been in my top fav read list for the longest time now.

I'm surprised he isn't more like Frenk Quietly - he does both mainstream, and Vertigo stuff...

Are you seriously suggesting that Vertigo is significantly removed from the 'mainstream'? Naaah.

Well it is, both in content (where the majority of comics are superhero based) and sales.

It's not indie in the most literal sense, and there's certainly not the same level of outlandish creativity it had in its first three or four years, but I wouldn't say - publisher aside - that it's really "mainstream".

It's not indie in the most literal sense, and there's certainly not the same level of outlandish creativity it had in its first three or four years,

Dude,

The first three or four years of the Vertigo imprint were the worst of the lot!

Nocenti's Kid Eternity

Reiber's Books Of Magic

Foreman's Black Orchid

Pollack's Doom Patrol

Delano's Animal Man

Numerous mini's about goths/transvestites/faeries or all of the above.

And all in a rather fetching shade of brown.

Vertigo has a way more varied and interesting roster now. It might not all be to my taste but that in a way is kind of the point.

I say it all the time, and I'll keep saying it. Vertigo was its best and most innovative before it was Vertigo. After they decided to give it a name and work to make it an edgy line, it never really reached the same heights it once had.

Tom says Vertigo sucked when it was started, and for the most part, he's right. Luis has said many times that Vertigo was on the road to Hell around 1999-2000, and for the most part, he's right. James said that Vertigo is lacking, for the most part, with its creative output today. If you add it all it up, you're pretty well saying Vertigo has had a few good titles in a line filled with junk.

Look at the total output of Vertigo throughout the years and there's always a few good titles while the rest of the books are less than creative, and surprisingly enough (no, not really), most of those really intelligent books are written by the same people!

No, this doesn't mean anything about Vertigo, as you can say the same thing about every comic book company. Marvel, DC, Image (eeeww), DH, the indies. It's the same with all of them. They have a few good titles in a line filled with junk.

No, this doesn't mean anything about Vertigo, as you can say the same thing about every comic book company. Marvel, DC, Image (eeeww), DH, the indies. It's the same with all of them. They have a few good titles in a line filled with junk.

And it's true of other areas of cultural production, too. Sturgeon's Law.

That's just Miller and Lee's run, of course. The title itself is intended to be an ongoing one, I believe, with a new creative team taking over once Miller and Lee have left. I have my doubts regarding how long they'll be able to keep finding "all-star" talent to work on the book, though...

I believe I read somewhere that the team coming after Miller and Lee was Jeph Loeb and Art Adams. Haven't heard of the latter guy, so this "all-star" line-up may be drying up even quicker than expected. At least Legends of the Dark Knight managed to keep it going for about 30 issues.

That was a rumour, which I believe has been denied by Adams.

Art Adams isn't as well-known these days as he should be, and he probably doesn't qualify as an 'All-Star' by that reckoning...but he's an excellent and influential artist, and a lot of popular '90s/'00s artists (Jim Lee very much included) owe him a huge debt. He did quite a bit of work on various X-Men titles in the '80s, among other things, and his most notable recent job was on some of the latter issues of Millar's run on The Authority.

I'm pretty sure O'Neil is retired.

There's really no purpose to have "Legends of the Dark Knight" anymore, if this series is on-going, is there?

DC is very wishy-washy as far as what quality writers they put on their anthology comics. LOTDK was really special when it started, they seem to be trying really hard with "JLA:Classified", but yet the new "JSA:Classified" book has pretty much whatever DC writer is sitting around the office at the time.

Well, I think I can say I won't be buying this book again until Miller and Lee are done (and even then I'll have to wait to see who the next team is).

This was positively dreadful.

Firstly, the dialogue. It's petty, but it's always something of Miller's that's bothered me: his tendancy to repeat himself. I know he does it for effect, but he overuses it so painfully here that the entire thing just comes off as hokey and awkward. The only time it made any sense was when Vicki Vale was doing it.

Next, Batman is an utter dick here. I know what he's trying to do, but his characterization is terrible. He's such a total bastard in this series, and we're only two issues in.

Next, the story (or lack thereof). Nothing really happened in this issue. It all seemed like an excuse for Lee to draw some "supah-cool!" explosions. Not to mention, the Batmobile turning into the Batplane looked laughably bad.

So yeah, Miller has completely turned me off here. Consider me out.

Damn. I totally believe you, but I was hoping for better.