electricinca

Should Hellblazer be coloured?

Yeah or Nay?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Yeah or Nay?

• I prefer it coloured (or for our American friends colored)
    • Black and white.

Having seen the excellent B+W work of Leo Manco at his website got me to thinking that Hellblazer would look great without the colouring. Tell me I'm wrong.

The occasional B&W issue, sure, but I definitely would not want to make it a permanent thing. I dont think its the sort of series that lends itself to a permanent B&W look.

Yes perhaps an issue or two in B&W but not on a permanent basis. Or even better yet a serperate mini-series without colo(u)r. But it'd have to be a story that would lend itself well to a B&W setting, not just as a gimmick. Wasn't there a Batman Black and White mini not long ago. Perhaps something like that.

I agree on the idea of occasional black and white issues too. But I also feel that black and white suits the work of some artists only, as the black and white colours have different effects on different artists' style of art. The black and white style has a terrific effect on Leo Manco's style of art, as seen in his impressive work on his website, but it may not have the same level of effect on other artists' work.

Well, that's just my opinion. I'm just an amateur enthusiast in art.

I agree with you on that point, how only some artists' styles look great in B&W. Though it's also interesting to note how well manga has done without color too.

I voted for B&W. Yes, the effectiveness of the B&W art depends on the artist, but given some of the original pencils I've seen from Manco, Fruisin, and even from Delano's run, there is just no comparison . . .

I voted for colors, because it'll be too much if our dear Hellblazer is to go permanently black and white.

Manga has been able to do very well without colors, for the reason that it's kind of Manga comics culture and tradition to keep their art in black and white. Manga's art is very different from english comics like Hellblazer too, especially in terms of how characters are being illustrated, and I believe it's in their comics tradition to have those characters drawn with big eyes, a mini nose and all. The size of their comics is different too, and their comics always come in a smaller size. Well, that's their tradition.

I think black and white will have different effects on different artists' style of art, as I have said in my previous post here. How they work with shadows in their art for example. It may not be that good on other artists' work, though i have to agree that it'll be something fresh to see hellblazer in black and white occasionally.

How about experimenting with both? Perhaps using black and white for flashback scenes with colour for the present? Perhaps using the shift to suggest that the perspective is not an entirely human one?

Or a very colourblind perspective anyway...

No, for the very, very simple reason that black and white comics are commercial suicide. It's cool to see the occasional bit of b&w art, but I wouldn't want the monthly title to go that way.

i like it colored, but a test black and white tpb wouldnt be bad. to see if it is the same (or even better) than the colured one, how it feels. because the coloring i think brings also a bit art in the thing. but maybe, as sin city, is the b&w an equal piece of art too.

No, for the very, very simple reason that black and white comics are commercial suicide. It's cool to see the occasional bit of b&w art, but I wouldn't want the monthly title to go that way.

Except in the case of The Walking Dead and Sin City. And From Hell.

But obviously the last one had the weight of Alan Moore behind it, Sin City was genuinely new and different, and The Walking Dead is just fucking outstanding.

To be honest, no. It's certainly not as consistently good as the comics I've mentioned above. And The Walking Dead (its nearest competitor) has the advantage that it was never in colour in the first place, whereas Hellblazer could risk driving people away if it suddenly switches to B&W.

Examples noted and acknowledged, but your points about From Hell and Sin City's relative uniqueness are definitely valid. It's worth noting that most commentary on the success of The Walking Dead has mentioned how remarkable and unusual it is for a b&w comic to be so popular, too.

Wolfram - I know you were kidding, but just to emphasize - it's nothing to do with quality (I don't think b&w art is inherently better than colour, anyway, but I don't think anyone was arguing otherwise), but it's pretty obvious that even right now, Hellblazer is barely selling enough issues to survive (hence recent suggestions with re. to Bradstreet's departure, for example). Going b&w, even for just the occasional issue, would be an extremely silly/risky move.

James is right, too, in that, much as I love Hellblazer, there aren't many issues of it which come close to the quality of most of Sin City, or From Hell.

I'd like to see some decent HB stories in black and white, but it ain't going to happen. But I think we all know that anyway, so it shouldn't get in the way of a hypothetical discussion.

But if it *is* such a rarity, wouldn't it make for an interesting publicity stunt? And, at the very least, there would be a creative impetus behind it, as opposed to the multi-cover-foldout onslaught of various issue #1's.

Wouldn't it also save money? I've no clue how much the coloring costs on an individual comic book, but I'd think not having to pay for the colorist or the colored ink might increase margins.

Wouldn't it also save money? I've no clue how much the coloring costs on an individual comic book, but I'd think not having to pay for the colorist or the colored ink might increase margins.

for the above: hehe :)

for this thread: i think they could release some special b&w editons but not making this in habit.

James is right, too, in that, much as I love Hellblazer, there aren't many issues of it which come close to the quality of most of Sin City, or From Hell.

Ack. Hellblazer better than Sin City??? I dont think so. The majority of HB runs (with the exception of Azzarrello's) are better than the majority of Sin City stories for sure. At least in terms of story, writing and ideas. Never would I see Delano, Carey or even Ennis's work on HB as inferior to Sin City, thats for sure. Not to say that I dislike Sin City - I quite love it.

Entirely agreed on From Hell, though. In fact, there are a lot of canonical works of non-comic English literature that I feel do not match up to From Hell, let alone HB.

I really do not think that HB's content lends itself to regular B&W. The book's occasional noir trappings would make for an interesting issue or two in B&W but I just do not like my horror stories in black and white. I like my blood red. I know this seems like a superficial reason but one of the reasons I read HB (ONE of them) is its strong horror/occult elements which I just do Not think would work as well in black and white. One may very well cite From Hell as an example to the contrary but I do not really want to go into the numerous ways in which that book is utterly unique.

The idea's been mentioned here before, but cheap black and white trades of the earlier Hellblazer issues would be a great idea, even if full-on trades weren't forthcoming.

Ack. Hellblazer better than Sin City??? I dont think so. The majority of HB runs (with the exception of Azzarrello's) are better than the majority of Sin City stories for sure. At least in terms of story, writing and ideas. Never would I see Delano, Carey or even Ennis's work on HB as inferior to Sin City, thats for sure. Not to say that I dislike Sin City - I quite love it.

I was thinking purely art-wise, actually. The respective quality of the writing is up for debate, but I can't think of any regular Hellblazer artist (including Sean Phillips, whose work I adore) who's in quite the same league as Miller when he's on top form (as he is in at least the first 4 Sin City trades). He does things with lines and blocks of colour on the page which utterly re-defined how I look at comic book art.

i like manco or even simpson better than millers art, mostly because besides the hard goodbye he draws a bit dull i think, its quite the same everytime, the characters, the background, the "effects", altough there are always panels which have a good idea in illustrating that particulary situation, bringing in a new wind. and it still looks good because its an own style and has flair.

but mancos drawings are more "beautiful" for me. and i like colors :)

Miller really hit his stride (art-wise) in Sin City with the third and fourth trades. You can just feel the suspense oozing out of the first chapter of That Yellow Bastard. He's definitely one of the best when it comes to black-and-white.

I want to vote "both". There's no reason why it has to be colour always, there's nothing wrong with some black and white art, it would be really good for some stories, lots of shadows etc.