A. Heathen

That Awful Film on DVD

(Jamie Delano enters a dark room, wearing sunglasses. Sits down and his head flops into his hands, hair falling over the parts of his face still visible)

"Oh god, I want to kill myself! A war in Iraq? The invasion of Afghanistan? Secret wars in Colombia? Terrorist bombings, Tony Blair, and George fuckin' Bush? I need to get back to my garden, is there anything else you want to know?"

NOOOO!!!!

I'm hoping by saying that, that some forum member who DOES spend their money will transcribe the Delano comments for the rest of us! :p

I can have a go at that if you want. He doesn't say much, but it's nice to hear someone say 'Constantine' properly, not 'Constanteen'. Kevin Brodbin says it properly too.

Interesting Review of the DVD that seems to take umbrage at the Hellblazer fans. I'm not sure what "new stuff" that comes with the packaging he's referring to but since he's not a regualr Hellblazer reader, it might not be new stuff afterall.

I've had lots of conversations with Nick (the reviewer) about this, but he just can't get it through his head that the main umbrage of people isn't the fact he isn't blonde or english, but rather the complete change of JC behaviour.

He clearly does not see the difference between hair/nationality and Chaz/christian-redemption.

And then he undermines his shtick by pointing out Bettany would have been better.

Like I said, Warner Bros: think James Bond.

Actually if they do turn to TAF2 (sorry Tom) now that Constanteen has been a success for them, I hope they can take a few more chances. We were teased that the follow-up may be set in London, so Constanteen should be ferried around by Sean Pertwee's Chas Chandler.

And the very first line of the film should be "I thought you quit?"

It's in 'Conjuring Constantine' about the history of the character on the second disc.

Karen Berger: The first issue of Constantine came out in 1987.

Jamie Delano: When I took over writing John Constantine and developing him I suppose my main concern was to do the character's potential justice.

Karen Berger: What Jamie Delano did with the series when he first started writing the monthly book was to really create a past for him, give him a family. Jamie really played into the political atmosphere of that Thatcher-Reagan era of the 80's.

Jamie Delano: It was basically a parody of the rampant capitalism that was stepping on the gas, and it was a lot of fun to write and great characterising BMW driving yuppies as corrupt greedy demons from hell, and allowing Constantine to sort of beat them at their own game by manipulating the hellish stock markets. . . When I first began developing John Constantine the imprint that later bacame known as Vertigo did not exist

Michael E. Uslan: DC comics began to experiment with some books that would bring back the old horror, thriller genre and do it being less fettered by the restrictions found in a typical DC comic book. Ultimately, this turned into the Vertigo line of comics, which is a mature line of comics.

Jamie Delano: Vertigo was developed on the back of Hellblazer and numerous other books such as Animal Man and the Sandman.

Michael E. Uslan: This was a chance for Constantine to really launch a whole new line for DC, and I think he did so incredibly well.

Paul Levitz: His cynicism, balanced with his knowledge of otherworldly things, really makes him the essence of Vertigo.

Michael E. Uslan: John Constantine is in-your-face, he will tell you what's on your mind, he really doesn't care what you say or what you think, he's the James Dean of the occult world.

Kevin Brodbin: He was about the most reluctant hero I'd ever come across. Yeah, instead of, like, doing it for very noble reasons he was actually doing it to bedevil the devil. He wanted to, you know, just take on demons for the thrill of it.

Karen Berger: He's a manipulator, he's a con-man. He'll use magic. He'll call up an old friend who dabbles in the dark arts, but he's more about manipulating people than using magic. And I think that's the key of what keeps this character so fresh, is that it's a head game all the time.

Paul Levitz: He's a smart-ass. In many ways I think he's what his readers would like to be. I wish I had his ability to slip through the cracks of whatever the problems are, deal with the weird stuff in life, and do it all with a smirk.

Presumably he's being paid for the use of his work in the included comic.

Just the little story he did about John's first cigarette that's included with the packaging. I would hope that he, Delano and Ennis are getting a little something in royalities for the re-printing of their work.

Presumably he's being paid for the use of his work in the included comic.

Just the little story he did about John's first cigarette that's included with the packaging. I would hope that he, Delano and Ennis are getting a little something in royalities for the re-printing of their work.

my guess is that DC will call this "promotional use" and not pay anybody a flying fuck.

Like I said, Warner Bros: think James Bond.

they misunderstood that, and gave him that awful Beeman/Q character...

If they pay Azzarello royalties and not Delano, Delano will NEVER be seen at DC EVER again, I can guarantee that!

Thank you very much, Double! Certainly not worth buying a whole DVD for those few sentences, but was interesting to see Delano talking about the comic.

Having seen Jamie Delano speak for the first time on the DVD I don't think he's as bitter or as miserable as Christain wants him to be.

OK, so I'm putting my words into Delano's mouth!

And, who knows?! Maybe he took his Zoloft the morning he did that interview, eh?

:biggrin:

Speaking of that awful film, yesterday at work, I was making a mental note of the first appearances of the supporting characters in Hellblazer (yes, I do have that much time to kill), and it went something like: "Okay, so in #1 there was Chas Kramer....no wait! Chandler! CHANDLER!!"

I....I feel so dirty.

And, who knows?! Maybe he took his Zoloft the morning he did that interview, eh?

You know, you shouldn't joke about people taking drugs.

Especially when using American brand names with respect to a British psychiatric nurse.

Ahhh! So, since Delano is British, he wouldn't be taking Zoloft! Ahhh!

But, I'm American, and I should be taking Zoloft!

Delano is/was a psychiatric nurse?

I understood that's where he met Alan Moore, may be a bit of garbled history.

I have to say, I just walked past a big DVD shop near here and the dutch Constantine 2 disc set comes in a rather beautiful metallic case. it doesn't come with the comic though, I think.

You know, you shouldn't joke about people taking drugs.

Especially when using American brand names with respect to a British psychiatric nurse.

Yes, please get on the web and get the generic name when you're about to make a joke about any anti-depressant that is much laughed at in the media:

Generic name: sertraline

American brand name: Zoloft

British brand name: Lustral

The latter is a pretty good brand name, considering one of the possible side effects. ;)

What is the comic book? It seemed to have a Bradstreet cover.

It's Bradstreet's cover for Hellblazer #151 that contains the first part of Dangerous Habits along with Azzarello's story of John's first smoke as well as Delano's prose piece which James and I correctly guessed a few months ago would be included.