A. Heathen

That Awful Film on DVD

So, I finally got around to watching this. Oh man. There was nothing in that movie that makes the comic good.

Nothing in that movie makes the comic good - you said.

What an indictment! I find myself at a disadvantage, and rightly so, in the face of such fans...

but if that's so - "nothing ....good" , why am I now so intrigued by JConstantine, the comic book character....

It sounds like the movie has no redeeming feature at all.

I disagree. But that's me.

And in this forum, that sometimes sounds like a lone voice in the wilderness..... hahaha

Nothing in that movie makes the comic good - you said.

What an indictment! I find myself at a disadvantage, and rightly so, in the face of such fans...

but if that's so - "nothing ....good" , why am I now so intrigued by JConstantine, the comic book character....

It sounds like the movie has no redeeming feature at all.

I disagree. But that's me.

And in this forum, that sometimes sounds like a lone voice in the wilderness..... hahaha

Not really. There are a few others here who liked the film. But it's probably true that the majority were less than impressed... (Both as a movie in itself, and especially as adaptation)

Whatever you think of the film itself, you have to admit Warner's did a great job with the 2-disc deluxe edition. Along with the usual "making of" features, there's the 15-minute feature which focuses on the history of the comic which is a pretty cool thing to have been included whether you agree with the filmaker's comments or not. Plus the added booklet is a good advertisment for the comic book and graphic novels. Plus I'm willing to bet that more people are being exposed to Jamie Delano's Hellblazer work through the dvd booklet than ever read his original issues.

Can't really argue with any of that. Still think they'd have been better choosing a stand-alone story for the "exclusive" comic, instead of another reprint of 'Dangerous Habits Part 1', but I do like the fact that there's quite a bit of content with the DVD aimed at directing fans of the film towards the comic.

The first part of Dangerous Habits is a perfect choice to be included with the DVD. It ties in with the movie and there's not a bunch of back story there. Plus Dangerous Habits is one of the more accessable trades out there for the curious to pick up if they're interested in the rest of the story.

There's that...but it's a bit of a "fuck you" to anyone who might want to read a story without having to go out and spend another chunk of cash to get the ending.

that's true, but what single issue comic could you include that summarizes Hellblazer better, and has at least a plot point in common with the flick?

Fair point, I suppose.

I'd have gone with 'Hold Me', myself - it does a better job of selling the comic to non-comic readers than any other issue I can think of. But that's got fuck-all to do with the film.

Well they could've done #1 but I think the choices they made were good. It is a business after all and every crack dealer knows to give that first taste for free. The Delano short story has fuck-all to do with the movie and that was included as well. So who knows what the rational for which stories Warner's decided to include was.

It is a business after all and every crack dealer knows to give that first taste for free.

That's a good point, on reflection.

"Hold Me" would have been a great featured comic for the dvd... sticking Gaiman's name on it might have boosted more interest into the series too. But anyway, I bought the special edition yesterday and have yet to watch the special features, however I'm hoping they mention Paul Jenkins and Warren Ellis because those two names were missing from the clip they played at the Constantine panel.

Except, Gaiman wrote one issue of H.B. So if you're luring new fans with the prospect of another Gaiman comic, they're quickly going to figure out that Gaiman doesn't seem to be involved in the "Hellblazer" comic at all.

I would have put in "Telling Tales" by Warren Ellis. I think that's the perfect stand-alone issue to get people interested.

I don't think it would attract any new readers, but if I had to choose one stand-alone issue of H.B. to include with this DVD, I'd pick the John Smith issue.

Except, Gaiman wrote one issue of H.B. So if you're luring new fans with the prospect of another Gaiman comic, they're quickly going to figure out that Gaiman doesn't seem to be involved in the "Hellblazer" comic at all.

I think its less that he doesnt want to be associated with it but more that he just isnt doing comics so much anymore and is way too busy dealing with his new projects and his increasing celeb status. He's obviously very fond of the Constantine character which might still act as quite a recommendation to Gaiman fans.

I don't think it would attract any new readers, but if I had to choose one stand-alone issue of H.B. to include with this DVD, I'd pick the John Smith issue.

People wouldn't get it. You have to 'get' Constantine for that issue to make much sense. Easier to slap accessibly angry Ennis in there because it's got all the subtlety of a brick to the head.

You know. They could have created a bit more goodwill with the comic fans. By making John blonde and British and just having him fly over to Los Angeles. Having Chas be the proper age and around just because John can't drive worth a shite. And cutting out the whole suicide/I see dead people BS. Then the movie may have at least been worthy of the title of "flawed adaptation" instead of "shite adaptation"

One thing i noticed in the Conjuring Constantine part of the extras is that every person interviewed in it says Constantine's name as "Constant-een" while Jamie Delano is the only person there interviewed who pronounces the name properly as "Constant-ine".

The DVD extras don't really say anything we haven't already heard other than how the film managed to successfully capture the "character's attitude and spirit blah blah blah".

One thing i noticed in the Conjuring Constantine part of the extras is that every person interviewed in it says Constantine's name as "Constant-een" while Jamie Delano is the only person there interviewed who pronounces the name properly as "Constant-ine".

Well on the commentary track, original scriptwriter Kevin Brodbin says it "Tyne". Actually the comments he and Frank Cappello make about all the changes made to the script throughout the years are the most interesting things on the DVD commentary track.

Karen came home from Tescos with this DVD.

Imagine my dismay !

As I said, "You know how I feel about it ! And anyway, you didn't get the version with the free comic so I am taking it back !"

I am going to go and exchange it for the Lemony Snickety one.

While I might agree with the tea, depending on how vehemently she liked the dvd even though he (Adrian) didnt - obviously. ... I think divorce, is a bit stiff.