Mr. Tom Willecome

The Ret-conjob

Well, who woulda thunk it? So, the Fat Slags film is shit. There's a surprise.

I love the Viz. An important part of my teenage years, it was, and I still pick it up most months. Genius.

D'you think on a Fat Slags Forum somewhere that someone is saying:

"Well, who woulda thunk it? So, the Hellblazer film is shit. There's a surprise."

I hope there are dedicated Fat Slags forums out there. I really do.

Viz editor Graham Drury, who also draws the cartoon, said: "I'm sorry to say that the Fat Slags are no more.

"After seeing this crass and ill- conceived film I just don't feel like drawing them again".

Con dos cojones.

Yessir, that's integrity. Anyway, if the Helllblazer editors stop the comic because of the film they know they're :angry: dead :angry: men. So they won't dare.

Fat Slags 2 Constantine: White Chicks 3

John and Chas have to impersonate two fat hags to save their lives. hilarity ensues.

so, can anyone fill me in on this a bit more?

I believe the rights to the Fat Slags movie were sold off by a previous editor who's currently no longer involved with Viz. The movie is apparently so bad that Viz don't want to be in anyone associated with it, hence the death of the strip.

Mark, you should've mentioned your love of Viz before mate - there was a Viz talk on in London last Friday night! We saw something similar at the con last year and while I'm not overly familiar with the comic or its history, I had a really good time. Even scored a free Viz out of it, though it didn't really impress me.

Someone think up a good name for a thread which explores how Hellblazer may be effected by Constantine by looking at how other comics-to-movies have been changed.

Apparently Spider-Man was recently changed into an actual giant spider for a while, when he reverted to human form he found that he no longer needed webspinners to shoot webs, bringing him closer to his movie counterpart.

Hmmm, good names for threads about Hollywoodisation?

[over-used word]s, [over-used word]s and thrice [over-used word]s!

But seriously folks, how about "Altered Images".

what, they did that to Spidey? lame... especially since noone who saw the movie first is going to buy the monthly (except MAYBE a trade or two of Ultimate Spidey...)

Jenkins was forced by Marvel editorial to do that story to fit in with their vision of "Avengers' Disassembled" Spidey.... :icon_rolleyes:

I boycotted the book for the stupid story-line!

Don't worry though, Jenkins gets back to writing good, clean, fun Spidey stories next month~! :icon_biggrin:

Maybe Hellblazer will turn into a giant demon for a story-line?!?!

For those of you (YO! Christian!) who actually read X-men comics: Have the two films (ranked among my favorite comics adaptations btw) affected the comics in any way?

Not really....

"X-Men 2" is simple to summarize. The plot of the 2nd movie was based around Chris Claremont's graphic novel "X-Men:God Loves, Man Kills". When the 2nd movie came out, Claremont wrote a story-line called "God Loves, Man Kills" in his "X-Treme X-Men" book, which was meant to wrap up any loose plot threads from his original story. That's it!

The first X-Men movie led to Marvel putting "The Film that Inspired the X-Men Movie!" on every issue of Uncanny and X-Men for about 6 months (kinda redundant, eh?!). Besides that, plot-lines went on like nothing was happening, EXCEPT that when Chris Claremont wrote a story-line that involved the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants, the artist drew Mystique a bit more like her movie character, the Toad was ret-conned so that he was like his movie character (he was originally just a deformed midget who could jump around in the comics), and Sabretooth was put on the Evil Mutants team when he's usually considered a loner not concerned with the affairs of mutantdom as the Brotherhood is supposed to be.

Sales increased shortly on X-titles when the first movie was out, but quickly went back to the normal level. Sales effected were neglible with the 2nd one.

I also know with Spider-Man, when the first movie was released just about every Spidey book had to use a Green Goblin story, and the Ultimate book introduced a Green Goblin who looked exactly like the movie version. Same with the 2nd, in that every Spidey book had to use a Dr. Octopus story, and the re-vamped Doc Ock in Spec. Spidey looked exactly like the movie version.

Sales figures for Spidey looked the same as with X-Men.

Ultimate Green Goblin looks nothing like the version in the film. Ultimate Green Goblin looks more like Killer Croc.

And the main effect the film had on X-men was the move from spandex to leather.

Very poor. Extremely poor, actually. At elast as long as mIke is writing.

Sales increased shortly on X-titles when the first movie was out, but quickly went back to the normal level. Sales effected were neglible with the 2nd one.

How did you get all that information, Chris?

Thanks McMahon for bringing them ( :icon_mgun: :icon_twosgun: ) back. I love those icons :happy:

I have a buddy who owns a comic book store, and he finds out all this info. I'm sure there's somewhere on the internet to get the figures. I just listen to my friend.

Actually Tom, I've read that the move from spandex to leather was something that Morrison wanted done, not anything to do with the movie. I guess Grant Morrison didn't want to write a straight superhero comic, so he wanted to avoid the trappings of superheroes....Go figure that logic!

They didn't change from spandex to leather until Joe Casey and Grant Morrison took over the writing on the books (besides with Cyclops), and they both started writing the comic after the first movie.

Diamond release an official Top 300 titles list every month, while they don't include actual numbers sold it is possible to extrapolate same given the system used to create the list in the first place.

ICV2 generate a list of projected orders using this system, these figures are considered to be a decent % lower than actual orders but are useful for tracking trends (the link at the start of this sentence goes to ICV2's archives which run back to March 2001).