Sign in to follow this  
Mercury727

The Punisher

Basically I came across this little comic book shop the other day that is the kind of shop you could easily walk past without ever noticing and thankfully for me was fairly local. So I went in, and after grabbing the first Transmetropolitan trade for a fiver my eye caught a whole pile of Punisher trades. In particular, one entitled "Smother Russia" by Garth Ennis and an artist whose name I cant now recall...

Anyway, I thought the artwork was very easy on the eyes so to speak and with Ennis writing, it must be a somewhat entertaining read. I've been looking for reviews online for this trade but cant seem to find any. So is it good or bad? Where would be a good starting point for someone who hasnt read the Punisher at all?

Definitely check out Born and also The Cell one-shot.

Marvel's MAX stuff is the best - lots of cussin' and violence.

The Marvel Knights line was good too, but not as adult and a bit too silly.

Yes, The End was very good.

Everyone should have a copy of Punisher Kills the Marvel Universe.

Everyone?

EEEEVVVVEEEERRRRYYYYOOOONNNNEEEEEE!!!!!!!

Ah so that sounds like an interesting selection, will definetely look into reading one of them? Think I saw one about his days in Vietnam that also looked very interesting. What about the film? Was that any good? It kinda passed me by before I ever got to see it? I also hear that the recent PS2 game is pretty good as well...

Ah, just found the (S)mother Russia TPB on amazon.co.uk, I just love this little piece of art...

......nice!

Think I saw one about his days in Vietnam that also looked very interesting.

That was Born. Buy it now.

What about the film? Was that any good?

I had to buy it if only for the inclusive comic that ends as the movie begins...so choice. Plus there is the most excellent Tim Bradstreet extra. It was mostly poop tho, except for the scene involving Frank and The Russsian. Thomas Jane is an excellent Frank Castle, and I can't wait to see him in the sequel. But the writing on this one was sort of bad. If you're going to take Garth's opening salvo why don't you just have him write the screenplay too?

Isn't that cool? Thomas Jane poses as Nick Fury for a Punisher cover. That is some seriously classy shit.

When I looked at the cover for the TPB for Mother Russia, there is a little S spraypainted beside the title, was unsure if it was part of the name or just a pun, in any case I have just ordered it online for a somewhat cheaper price....

Well, since I last posted on this thread I have read Born and am currently reading through Mother Russia and damn Ive been enjoying these. I think the artwork is pretty superb throughout and the characters? well? I dont think there is much I could add about Frank Castle that hasnt already been said in the thread linked to above.

But suffice to say I will be looking into getting more Punisher into the near future, its almost like reading the exploits of Batman gone ever so much more off the edge and without the mask...Or I suppose with his clear cut absolute morality is a jacked up war machine version of The Question or is that a mischaracterisation? Anyhow, good writing, great art, must read more....

Glad to hear that you're enjoying the Punisher.

Have you checked out The Cell one-shot? That's the biz.

Now that part in Born, (slight spoiler) when Frank was on the hill, and it was clear that he was going down, the enemy was everywhere, and he said the word to save his life and damn his soul forever...did you get the fucking chills or what? When his eyes went blood red and the smoke formed his trademark skull? Fuckin-A that was somethin'...

Now that part in Born, (slight spoiler) when Frank was on the hill, and it was clear that he was going down, the enemy was everywhere, and he said the word to save his life and damn his soul forever...did you get the fucking chills or what? When his eyes went blood red and the smoke formed his trademark skull? Fuckin-A that was somethin'...

Gave me the chills that bit. Plus you get the get the impression that he was totally fucked with because the only reason he did it was so that he could get back home to his family but when he returns he discovers that his family have been killed.

I dont particiulary agree with that part.

If you want to see a classic Punisher in Nam moment. Go pick up the "Punisher Invades the Nam" issue. It wasnt written by Ennis, but it's still pretty decent.

Yep, that story had a beautiful pace to it, really building up to a crazed pychotic trip in the finale. Was all those thoughts of his some kind of dark introspective on his true character, or some kinda metaphor for chatting with the devil?

I'm thinking it was the Devil. It answers the age old question - If the Punisher is just a man with no super powers, how can he take so much abuse? Of course, a large part of the attraction to the character is that he is just a man.

Just before Ennis started his run on the Marvel Knights stuff, Marvel had a 4 issue series penned by Chirs Golden with art by Berni Wrightson, I think. At that point Frank had comitted suicide because he wrongfully killed Ka-Zar - :blink: wtf?

So this demon resurrected Frank and gave him magical guns so that he may start killing angels - it was really, REALLY bad.

I'm not fan of Punisher in Vietnam stories (although I think Ennis' handling of it was the best), but I must agree that I was never down with the supernatural aspects of Punisher. It always made him too much like "Spawn" to me, and the Spawn character is just much better suited to that plot.

Well, except, you know, Punisher doesn't sit around and whine all the time like Spawn.....

It's just a comic book story. It never need an explanation of how Punisher does what he does. Are we to expect that Peter Parker made a covenant with God that as long as he fights crime wearing red and blue tights the criminals will keep missing him with their bullets, next?

If I'll love Ennis for anything, it's how he did away with the "mystical" Punisher with about two lines at the start of his run on the title.

And even before the "angels 'n' demons" debacle, the 90's were a grim time for Frank. First, you had the storyline that somehow depositied him as a member of a mob family...he was supposedly undercover, but still ran around as the Punisher...and had a ponytail. And it made zero sense.

Then they had him help usher in the Marvel Knights line by driving him insane and having him ultimately "kill" Nick Fury.

Blargh.

there was also the storyline where he was dyed black so he could go undercover (and team up with Luke Cage). no, really!

A lot of people liked Suicide Run. I also heard a lot enjoyed War zone and War Journel.

The only thing I dont agree with Ennis on is Why frank kills. He basically stated that Frank is nothing but a bully or a thug who just so happens to kill Bad people. And tends to make Frank use his families death for excuse to let Frank kill.

Well, it's sort of true.

But, I don't think Ennis was exactly saying that, because in the first MAX story-arc, Frank refuses to give up his principals and sell out to the CIA. If Frank just wanted to kill because it was in his personality, and he was just using his family as an excuse, he could have just as easily signed up with the CIA and killed people legally. He does still have some moral sense to him.

Ennis didnt imply it. He outright said it.

"Frank is a bully, a Thug. He likes to kill to people after doing it for so many years. He just tends to use his families murder has a reason to kill, and Just so happens to only kill bad people."

I forget where Ennis said it, but it came from his mouth. :p

Personally, I'm with Ennis. I like Castle as a barely contained (well, at least towards "good" people) serial killer who just happens to be pointed in the right direction.

Definitely check out Born and also The Cell one-shot.

Marvel's MAX stuff is the best - lots of cussin' and violence.

The Marvel Knights line was good too, but not as adult and a bit too silly.

Born, The Cell and The End are by far three of the darkest stories i have ever read to do with Frank Castle without a doubt...definitely the way The Punisher should be written.