Sign in to follow this  
Mercury727

The Punisher

I can't fault any of the arcs, not even Kitchen Irish, true Frank took a back seat but theres a lot of classic stuff in this one, a guy with no face, a man being butchered alive, the opening alone with the pub bombing and Frank taking on the part of a field medic to keep some city broker alive, the woman with no arms and a face full of glass, these are things that stick with me months after last reading the story.

The whole arc was Ennis grandstanding on the Troubles which he's done before but see rule #1 above. It's more about stating political opinions between bouts of cartoon violence but like the Slavers he does it in a way that sticks. That all these idiots that claim to be fighting for Ireland are just in it for themselves, even though i have no experince to back it up i'd suspect that it's true in reality also.

I would like to see the MAX title permanently retired when Ennis leaves, which is a likely occurrence seeing I don’t think there's anything else being put out on the MAX imprint anymore and The Punisher has made a reappearance in the normal Marvel universe for Civil War.

Right now, Punisher is the only title under the MAX banner.

Marvel is relaunching the MAX line this Winter though.

Haven't you figured out I don't use the computer for my research? Only the mentally feeble use electronics to do all their work for them.

Oh, and next time use spell check to make sure you don't seem like the Troglodyte! : )

Marvel is launching a good number of mini-series under the MAX banner starting later this year.

There will be a Zombie mini-series, a Hellstorm mini-series, a White Tiger mini-series, a Pete Wisdom mini-series, a Spider Man mini-series dealing with Peter Parker and Mary Jane reacting to the changes in New York since 9/11....a few other new mini-series have also been announced.

None sounding as if they will be readable in the least, except for inebriated individuals, which is who Marvel caters towards now.

Jesus fuck, that says it all, doesn't it? Make a Marvel line for adults and fill it with the same superhero pap that they have in the rest of their line. Does anyone really need a book about Spider-man post 9/11? And does that book really need to be mature readers?

I can't fault any of the arcs, not even Kitchen Irish, true Frank took a back seat but theres a lot of classic stuff in this one, a guy with no face, a man being butchered alive, the opening alone with the pub bombing and Frank taking on the part of a field medic to keep some city broker alive, the woman with no arms and a face full of glass, these are things that stick with me months after last reading the story.

Yeah, but the story's just a bunch of people going from A to B to C with not enough inbetween. Definitely not more than the sum of its parts, for me at least.

Marvel is launching a good number of mini-series under the MAX banner starting later this year.

There will be a Zombie mini-series, a Hellstorm mini-series, a White Tiger mini-series, a Pete Wisdom mini-series, a Spider Man mini-series dealing with Peter Parker and Mary Jane reacting to the changes in New York since 9/11....

What Pete moaning about a couple of less buildings to swing on?

This sounds really ill conceived.

But ofcourse it depends upon the writer really.

-The Slavers arc retains the top spot for me followed closely by In the beginning(?).

-For me Kitchen Irish never really bested it's awesome opening issue.

-Mother Russia was supreme fun (if only Hollywood action films could reach these levels).

If Frank had adopted the girl and reaquirred a family, it would have made a more positive version of Punisher: The End for me.

It's really the way I'd like to see Frank go.

-I'll need to reread Up is Down... again.

I seem to recall that I fealt that Ennis' humour (The goons sister for example) actually conflicted with the more sombre moments here.

Not usually a problem for Ennis on the title.

But i'll give it another go of course.

-I think that Barrcauda arc was by far the worst, and even then it was extremely entertaining.

-Have they done a decent return to Nam story with Frank (ala the pitch of Rambo 2)?

The problem with going back to Nam is that the war eneded 35 years ago, it think the vietnamise would be surprised as fuck.

A story like Rambo would be good, where Frank is out numbered and outgunned constantly on the move and under pressure.

Up is Down was my least favorite MAX arc. I was very excited about it as I enjoyed the first arc so much, but as each issue came out I was more and more disappointed. Pitsy's sister was a hollow Pitsy, Frank hopping into bed with the CIA chick seemed uncharacteristic of Frank especially after Nick so recently opened the family wound with the grave defilement, the Nicky origin issue was a wasted month, and the climax let me down.

I really wanted that arc to work for me, and maybe I'm just being picky, but I even liked Kitchen Irish a country mile more than Up is Down.

Mainly browsing this thread when it occured to me. Garth's portrayal of the Punisher has so much to do with growing up in the North of Ireland, it's uncanny. For years we had to put up with exactly this kind of [over-used word]. Serial killers, but they where alright (to some assholes anyway), cause they only killed "themmuns" and defended "us" (The secret history of NI, by the way. Themmuns started it. We only acted in defence. Works for all persuasions!). Maybe it's just the way I read it, but having read a lot of Garth down the years, and lived through a good deal of the same shit, I'd be really surprised if it wasn't in there somewhere...

Although if Bradstreet starts doing murals in Belfast...

Just re-read the first 6 issues with Frank, Nick cavella, Pittsy, Ink, O'Brien, Micro and Roth.

I really can't see why somebody wouldn't like this.

...and I just re-read Kitchen Irish, also well done. A big ol' treasure mystery where several factions all battle and race for the same thing: tons of cash! Vicious and violent I think the bit where Frank chews off part of Finn's face just about made me cringe. Good stuff.

I was buying the Marvel Knights series when MAX began and that first arc blew me away. I couldn't shut up about it. Irish didn't hit me the same way at first, but I've since re-read it a few times, and anything that keeps my attention when re-reading is tops with me. The gangs are all so fleshed out. The only real negative is Ennis constant use of the Irish situation as a plot device.

Yeah, I downloaded that because I (mistakenly) thought it was just a two-parter and fancied snapping it up rather than wait for the trade like I usually do with the MAX Punishers.

Good stuff, but it looks like Ennis is wiping out a big chunk of the recurring characters with this one - you've got Zakharov and Rawlins from Mother Russia, O'Brien from In the Beginning and Yorkie from Kitchen Irish. Aside from Castle, I reckon O'Brien's going to be the only one to walk away from this story line.

Anyone know when Barracuda's out in TPB?

i love how Ennis is using recurring characters in this arc. its a nice payoff for those of us who have been following it from the beginning. and considering most of the characters are from my favorite arc, mother russia, i think this one will be a close second.

First post! hey KM you goon! i like this book because there are boobies in it. no other reason at all.

LOL good to see you brother, this place can replace our beloved goonz. Plus folks around these parts know their shit inside and out. Better than the I Love Boobies thread, that's for sure. Even though I, too, love boobies.

Excelsior!

KM - did you read any of the Barracuda arc yet? i know you pick them up in trade, but i cant remember if i lent some of them to you. it wasnt bad...not the best arc but theres plenty of boobies and people getting mauled by giant fish. and the barracuda character himself was pretty entertaining. i still have a big stack of comics set aside for you, ill add the latest Puns to it if you want.

I read the first 3 or 4 of them, SJ. Bring them on please. Bring lots of stuff.

You should grab my newer hellblazer issues, I don't think I loaned you Denise's stuff yet, and that's the name of the game in these parts. Come by and we can share a bowl and make fun of all the guys we are reading on this site. It'll be a blast.

Go find the Warren Ellis thread, and find the GENIUSES thread. I'd love to hear your input.

Baracuda was cool because it fits right in with my "Big Pun needs a worthy adversary" agenda. The issue where those two throw down - fuck that was sweet. Could have done with better art, though.

Glad to hear that you're enjoying the Punisher.

Have you checked out The Cell one-shot? That's the biz.

Now that part in Born, (<!--coloro:red--><span style="color:red"><!--/coloro-->slight spoiler<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->) when Frank was on the hill, and it was clear that he was going down, the enemy was everywhere, and he said the word to save his life and damn his soul forever...did you get the fucking chills or what? When his eyes went blood red and the smoke formed his trademark skull? Fuckin-A that was somethin'...

Could you believe I've read the trade maybe ever other weeks since it came out, and never noticed it? Thanks, Lou.

Glad to be of service, even though I'm generally not known for being the most observant person. :smile: