Sign in to follow this  
Mercury727

The Punisher

Thanks, Mick.  Did you ever read Wolverine: The End?  That was probably the biggest waste of time I've ever spent reading a comic.  It sucked big time.

Fuck i picked up 2 issues in the reprints in wolverine and deadpool (one of our U.K comics they collect a few issues of things together) and i thuaght it was a bag of shit mate, xavier inside him?! what happened in the end with his brother i refused to read.

Can someone who's been keeping up with the "Barracuda" arc spoil it for me? I took a look at some preview scans, and the art looked terrible, especially following the great art of the the last three or so arcs. The plot also looked pretty lame as well.

I might buy it eventually if you guys say its good, though. I really liked The Slavers, but Barracuda did not look very promising.

what happened in the end with his brother i refused to read.

Stabbed im, stabbed im a lot. To be honest, I have no clue, I think I dissolved it to save my honour. But im pretty sure it was just stabbing and not much else.

Can someone who's been keeping up with the "Barracuda" arc spoil it for me? I took a look at some preview scans, and the art looked terrible, especially following the great art of the the last three or so arcs. The plot also looked pretty lame as well.

I might buy it eventually if you guys say its good, though. I really liked The Slavers, but Barracuda did not look very promising.

Personally, it's not as promising and provoking as The Slavers, but it's fun in The Russian kind of way.

I think Ennis may be alternating arcs between fun and serious.

The Russian made the Hulk cry!, fantastic!

My thoughts exactly Rohne i loved the breif breaks from seriousness with the russian.

Just put down Tyger. Man, that was deep. Ennis shines more in his one-shots than the monthly, that's for sure.

I really liked it. "Quiet isn't the word, serious isn't the word, but most of the time you're just miles away, aren't you Frank?"

If anything. The Baracuda is a cheap The Russian knock off. Same type of character. Big guy who can beat Franks ass. blah blah blah.

I myself am looking forward to Punishe: War Journal.

The Russian was cool but too comedic, especially when he grew enormous breasts. I like the balls out seriousness of Baracuda.

The Russian was cool but too comedic, especially when he grew enormous breasts. I like the balls out seriousness of Baracuda.

Aww come on Lou, you know you loved it when he had huge DD sized boobs. :lol:

Just finished the Tyger.

What Ennis discovers poetry, Blake's Tyger being one of the most obvious ones to use to.

I think that it takes away from both Born and the Earth X Trilogy.

I did like Castle being portrayed as a smart, but reclusive kid though.

It just fealt alltogether, very empty.

Aww come on Lou, you know you loved it when he had huge DD sized boobs. :lol:

Oh I fuckin' ruined that book when I got home. :wink:

Just finished the Tyger.

What Ennis discovers poetry, Blake's Tyger being one of the most obvious ones to use to.

He mentioned the Earth X Trilogy again!

I thought it played around a little bit with the ideas from Born, instead of detracting from it.

It can't take away from Earth X, because Earth X is only a possible future. Earth X exists as its own alternate future universe in a parallel dimension.

Ennis discovers poetry....heh

It was originally solicited as dark humour, which it was, the max serise is alot better. But when i find myself laughing at it i feel pretty naughty.

Off to pick the tyger up today, i know you said its bad but im a punisher completist when it comes to the max serise.

Just finished the Tyger.

He mentioned the Earth X Trilogy again!

I thought it played around a little bit with the ideas from Born, instead of detracting from it.

It can't take away from Earth X, because Earth X is only a possible future. Earth X exists as its own alternate future universe in a parallel dimension.

Ennis discovers poetry....heh

Last Earth X mentioning for the day promise :rolleyes: , in Universe X they attack the very idea that the series is just another alternative universe, just another What if...

I'll check again how they do it, but their Universe comes out on top.

But yes, it's an alternative universe, but the ideas were better.

I am so glad I found this site. I posted in defence of Ennis Punsiher over on the gamefaqs.com comic boards and was torn to shreds. So many old lucid threads to read here.

In the first Punisher MAX story arc, when the CIA girl says 'I am so wet right now', I busted a gut. I've pushed that trade on so many friends. Pitsy was such a great villain.

Slavers and Mother Russia and Kitchen Irish were so vastly different story arcs that no one can complain that Ennis writes the same story over and over, a common complaint on the Other Boards.

Slavers and Mother Russia and Kitchen Irish were so vastly different story arcs that no one can complain that Ennis writes the same story over and over, a common complaint on the Other Boards.

No, he really does write the same story over and over again (Mother Russia is pretty much the exception). He just writes it well enough that it doesn't really matter.

Pitsy was such a great villain.

That he was. Frank needs more guys like that (Baracuda, Nick Cavella) in his life.

You get your wish as i think the next arc invovles him going up against that hard ass Russian general from Mother Russia.

No, he really does write the same story over and over again (Mother Russia is pretty much the exception). He just writes it well enough that it doesn't really matter.

:cool:

Kitchen Irish wasnt even a Punisher story, it was "GUEST STARING FRANK CASTLE!" Slavers was so-so. It had it's good and Bad moments. Mother Russia was the same way.

Baracuda wa ok.. The character was basically the Russian if he was black and from the Ghetto.

The next arc is going to be the general from Mother Russia again, so we'll see how he does it.

Then Ennis is also writing The Midnighter. So I'll see how he does this sense all he's been doing so far is writing The Punisher and maybe wartime stories. It really depends if he can write the Midnighter decently.

Basic Ennis scripts go like this. Gay Joke, Truama flick, nudity, curse like an Irish sailor, more gore, more gay jokes, rinse and repeat. So really it depends if he can hold off the Gay jokes and over use of gore and actually TRY to write a good series for The Midnighter.

You’re an ass, Slavers was like the best Quincy M.E. episode ever, social commentary, guns, a man stung up by his guts and a woman being thrown against a window till the fixings broke and she fell to her death.

To really appreciate Punisher MAX on the higher level I do you have to keep in mind three things:

1, Punisher MAX is an island onto itself, so approach every idea as if it was original (hard to do with Ennis I know, I pointed this out with an excellent photo montage that is around somewhere and I've accepted he will never change).

2, Each arc is 6 issues long so roughly equates to a long movie and hence is best read in one go. How cool it would be to have a series of punisher MAX films?

3, Garth Ennis doesn’t have to prove anything to you pissants.

Everyone goes on about Preacher and Hitman, but this here is Ennis’ masterwork, each issue is pure dirt and guts and never pretend to be anything other than it is; the best fucking Punisher stories that will ever be written.

why does no one mention "Up is Down and Black is White"? that was a fucking great story.

A Kejoxen-Testosterohne team up in support for Ennis' Punisher.

I'm glad that he's stuck with the title for what 6-7 years.

Remember Punisher Born is MAX too.

I personally feel that Ennis has yet to break through the barrier and turn out a true masterpiece.

He's very close with the Punisher.

But he needs to keep pushing.

It's easily (from the loads that I've read anyway) the best work on the Punisher ever.

Again, Punisher:Tyger was a major letdown

Hell, I've now become quite dogmatic about only having Ennis write the Punisher.

If he stops writing Punisher, the title should still somehow remain under his control editorially or something (No more Angels and Demons or Black Punisher ever again please).

I would like to see the MAX title permanently retired when Ennis leaves, which is a likely occurrence seeing I don’t think there's anything else being put out on the MAX imprint anymore and The Punisher has made a reappearance in the normal Marvel universe for Civil War.

I did notice Andy Diggle sniffing around though he put out some kind of Punisher Xmas one shot last year, I guess if the torch had to be handed to anyone Diggle would be the guy to hand it too.

I never forgot Born was Max, it’s a great non-origin origin story, kind of like a mid-season flashback in Lost. I like the Tyger story, gives you more on Frank and more on the idea that Ennis is been pushing, that it wasn’t the death of his family that pushed Frank over the edge, that was just an excuse to let out what had always been there, it woke up in Born but it started in Tyger.

why does no one mention "Up is Down and Black is White"? that was a fucking great story.

Because it's jammed inbetween the awesome Mother Russia and the equally awesome but harrowing The Slavers.

Kitchen Irish was tits, though. As Wolvy said - not enough Frank.