jkhristian

Comic Book Movies that Need to be Made

1. Hellblazer

2. 300

3. The Dark Knight Returns

4. Sandman: Master of Dreams

5. Lucifer

6. The Books of Magic (Tim Hunter can kick that Potter kids ass!)

7. Swamp Thing

8. Transmetropolitan

9. Death: The High Cost of Living

and this might sound crazy but

10. Captain America (would have to take place entirely during World War II to work)

any other ideas?

Its quite the list but I dont think Hellblazer, Sandman or Lucifer are filmable. They're WAY too complex and multilayered for any two hour film to do them justice. Hellblazer MAYbe if you pick one arc but even then it would never do any kind of justice to the character.

Dark Knight Returns on the other hand......good actors, Frank Miller screenplay, creative freedom, R rating allowance, decent budget.....oh yes, I could see it.

1. Hellblazer

2. 300

5. Lucifer

6. The Books of Magic  (Tim Hunter can kick that Potter kids ass!)

7. Swamp Thing

8. Transmetropolitan

10. Captain America (would have to take place entirely during World War II to work)

any other ideas?

I've thought about this, and I will say none of the above. These works are already in their perfect medium. Wanting to see them as movies seems like we are seeking some sort of validation from the mainstream culture. I'm proud of my geekyness, goddanmit. I don't need their validation.They're the one's missing out, not us.

Sorry...I'm tipsy. :tongue:

1. Hellblazer
No!!, Leave it alone

2. 300
It's being made by some good people i'd wait until it was completed before i'd pass judgement

You just had a great Batman film what the fuck are you talking about? They could've done Dark Knight instead of Batman Begins but now they've done Begins they can't do Dark Knight until the franchise falls appart again, i don't think it would make monetary sense otherwise. Think about it, you'd have to drop Bale as Batman and get an older actor, so you loose that connection the audience had with Bale as Batman. The only way to do it is to give Bale as many goes at Batman as he wanted then get Clint Eastwood or Bruce Willis to step in to the cape and cowl as the Dark Knight.

NO NO NO NO NO NEVER!!! NO NO NO, Sandman is unfilmable it should stay exactly where it is

5. Lucifer
Yeah they'd love a film as the Devil as the main protagonist in the states, I'm surprised they havn't already greenlit it.

6. The Books of Magic  (Tim Hunter can kick that Potter kids ass!)
This is being made into a film with Neil Gaiman as creative consultant so i think it's in good hands.

7. Swamp Thing
Apparently a faithful adaptaion is in the work as "the Green" by renound forum ass'Tears in Rain' I hold out no high hopes, should be left in the comics.

8. Transmetropolitan
Are you insane?

being made into a movie with Neil Gaiman directing so i can't really see how that could be a better proposition, of course that makes it a thousand times worse if it turns out to be shit.

What? the TV movie wasn't good enough for you?

On another note the following need to be made into Stephen King style big budget miniseries:

Preacher and Y: The Last Man

you gotta think that a movie is really only between 6 and 12 issues of a comic and TV gives you so much more room to manoover in terms of style and content, pretty much all of your list could be done really well as 12+ hours of TV instead of 2 hours of movie.

Its quite the list but I dont think Hellblazer, Sandman or Lucifer are filmable. They're WAY too complex and multilayered for any two hour film to do them justice. Hellblazer MAYbe if you pick one arc but even then it would never do any kind of justice to the character.

I've read a great script for the Sandman movie that apparently had Gaiman's blessing. It's a combination of Preludes and Nocturnes (Morpheus' imprisonment and escape; his quest to gather his materials and repair the land) and The Doll's House (the tempest destroying the Dreamworld and the serial killer convention, but with the Corinthian coming into possession of the Dream Stone rather than Dr. D). In some way it's more satisfying than the original comic.

Hellblazer would be easy to do if they just came up with a brand-new storyline that didn't involve half-breed angels and all that nonsense.

Lucifer could work as a trilogy if they took shears to about half the cast and sub-plots.

Hellblazer certainly isn't "too complex and multilayered" to make a successful film. I know we all love the comic, but come on...it's actually pretty straightforward most of the time. Which aspects were you thinking would be particularly difficult to film, Abhi?

I think I'd like to see a Hellblazer adaptation with a bit of comedy. Like Son of Man or something.

If they make a Sandman movie with Preludes and Nocturnes, I'd like to see John Constantine make the cameo, I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to keep his character the one who has Morpheus's bag. Hell, even keep Keanu.

I'd like to see what someone like David Lynch or David Cronenberg could do with Dan Clowes' Like A Velvet Glove Cast In Iron :biggrin:

other comics that could work as movies/tv shows:

a 12 part HBO series based on stories from Optic Nerve

an trilogy of animated flicks based on BONE

tv series, preferably HBO, based on Fables (this apparently is in the works)

a comedy film based on Minimum Wage/Beg The Question by Bob Fingerman. wonder how they'd handle all the fucking, though.

Scott Pilgrim the movie is in production, and since the guy behind Shaun of the Dead is directing, it stands a good chance of working.

I remember reading this in a Wizard magazine, and I thought it was a brilliant idea:

A 100 Bullets television series on HBO. Come on, how could that possibly be a bad thing?

Hellblazer certainly isn't "too complex and multilayered" to make a successful film. I know we all love the comic, but come on...it's actually pretty straightforward most of the time. Which aspects were you thinking would be particularly difficult to film, Abhi?

Well, by complex and multilayered I was mostly referring to the other two. What I actually meant was more that it would be impossible to do Constantine justice in one movie, simply because bits and pieces of his character have been fleshed out in so many different issues. This is quite obviously from a fan's POV - one movie would be hard pressed to serve up the Constantine we all like so much. There's always going to be some bits missing. Its just that HB and Constantine have now run together into a huge 209 issue narrative in my head and that a movie is most likely going to leave Something to be desired. Theres a sense of history to the character, created by years of issues, that I dont think can be captured all that easily. However, its true that its filmable. Newcomers would have no idea about any of this history and find it a perfectly good film (should it be made well). Hell, I would do too, but I'd wager that I'd feel a Little bit unfulfilled after the credits nonetheless.

Lucifer and Sandman on the other hand - no. I just find it completely unconvincing that anyone could do a decent cinematic adaptation of either. Even if it Were possible - James i'll check out that link, thanks, man - the problems that apply above to HB will apply hundredfold to these two. And business reasons would probably rule out any Lucifer adaptation at all (someone mentioned the religious right).

Preacher and Y as HBO series would be perfect.

James i'll check out that link, thanks, man

No worries - get yourself a nice cool drink and a couple of hours to spare and enjoy the movie. I'm sure your imagination has a bigger budget Warners would ever throw at it.

Of course with Gaiman doing a Death movie it would make a Sandman flick really tricky to make - unless they could convince the actress to make a cameo appearance.

I had a teacher who walked around everywhere with a tpb of Dark Knight Returns and said he was in the hundredth time reading it. He was pissed at the idea of Batman Begins and always said they should do Dark Knight with Clint eastwood as Batman. Which i think would be great if only clint was a tad younger. a tad. Because in my partial eyes, Clint Eastwood can do no wrong.

I think Hellblazer could work as a series on HBO. Maybe a series of mini-series, giving more time for quality. It doesn't have to be like a movie with big huge stories where the fate of Earth hangs in the balance ever week. Much like the comic, there can be the big stories and the little stories. Not sure why but I think Walton Goggins(Shane) from the Shield would make a good Constantine, if only he were English.

I am suprised Bone and Usagi Yojimbo have not been considered as anime series, maybe on Cartoon Network.

I am suprised Bone and Usagi Yojimbo have not been considered as anime series, maybe on Cartoon Network.

Nickelodeon tried to get a Bone movie off the ground but Jeff Smith decided not to proceed with it as they wanted to make it into a musical animation with Britney Spears as Thorn. seriously.

Jesus.

At least the game seems to have got it right.

it should be. Jeff Smith is fiercely protective of BONE, I think pretty much all merchandise that was ever made was done in-house or under strict supervision. that's the benefit of self-publishing, I guess...

I want to see Cerebus! Can you imagine that?!

No, not the parody of "Conan" or the intellectual series of the early days of the comic, I want the raving mysogynst rantings in a movie!

I want to see Cerebus! Can you imagine that?!

No, not the parody of "Conan" or the intellectual series of the early days of the comic, I want the raving mysogynst rantings in a movie!

They should, like, totally make a movie out of the text shit in "Reads"!

(No, really. I couldn't be bothered to read it.)

Hell yeah! Even better! Dress up Dave Sim in an aardvark costume, have him sit in a black room and read the best of his essays from "Cerebus" for 4 hours.

Best fucking movie ever made, right there!

Guest spiderlegs
I remember reading this in a Wizard magazine, and I thought it was a brilliant idea:

A 100 Bullets television series on HBO. Come on, how could that possibly be a bad thing?

That's what the Transmet creators want, too. It worked great for SPAWN as an animated feature--it ran for 3 seasons.

Bilal/Christine's "The Black order brigade" and "The hunting party" would make EXCELLENT movies. But then again, they're very good as comics, so it's not really something I miss.

Honestly, I'd love to see Wetworks made. Not that it could ever make any money with the rating it would get, but still, this is my fantasy. :)

It's been mentioned a few times in the letter column as something which is being considered, and I reckon The Walking Dead would make a cracking HBO-style ongoing drama series.

Bilal/Christine's "The Black order brigade" and "The hunting party" would make EXCELLENT movies. But then again, they're very good as comics, so it's not really something I miss.

well.... seeing as how Immortal turned out, maybe Bilal should stay the fuck away from movie making.