jkhristian

Comic Book Movies that Need to be Made

Speaking of Dr. Cox...

Years ago when Walt Willey and John Callahan joined the cast of the soap opera "All My Children" I thought they would be perfect if the powers that be ever decided to do a big screen adaptation of the Denny O'Neil/Neal Adams Green Lantern/Green Arrow road trip across America books.

Now that they've aged a little I'm still convinced Willey would do a fabulous Longbow Hunters era Oliver Queen. He's over 6 feet tall, he's blond (or light brown with a blond dye job) and since he works as a stand-up comic in his spare time, I figure he ought to be able to handle Ollie's sense of humour.

[Edit: Walt needs to get some more representative photos up on his website: this looks more like the way Walt shows up on TV.]

Now Callahan hasn't aged quite as gracefully as Walt, but he could still pull off a decent Hal Jordan, and if he couldn't I'd be more than happy to see John C. McGinley (Dr. Cox) wear the Corp.'s uniform. (I see both Johns as Hal in Joe Stanton mode.)

And since I'm posting anyway, I attended a concert at the Jazz Festival by a woman who sang and played piano and who would make the pefect Amanda Waller in a JLU live action picture. She (or at least her stage persona) was tough and mean and a bit scary. She intimidated her sidemen, and to top it off, she was even wearing the perfect purple suit. :D Of course I can't recall her name at the moment, but I'm sure it will come to me at 4:00 a.m.

I should point out that I'm not saying any of these movies should be made. I'm just saying if they need to be, cast them properly.

Need to know something ... is the Corto Maltese animation you mentioned the one that went like this ....

there's a Russian woman, gorgeously drawn -

lots of train scenes, more snow - gunshots/ the train is stopped somewhere ...

A man with a horse

betrayals

and it ends alright

that the one? Animation it is.

Jackman and Pitt were Diggle's own choices. I thought they worked just fine, in lieu of any better actors.

Pitt possibly, he looks a tad like the commuting Tyler Durden with his sunshades on and snappy suits in Fight Club but i don't see him as Jensen.

Hugh Jackman is just someone i can't see playing Cougar at all.

Need to know something ... is the Corto Maltese animation you mentioned the one that went like this ....

there's a Russian woman, gorgeously drawn -

lots of train scenes, more snow - gunshots/ the train is stopped somewhere ...

A man with a horse

betrayals

and it ends alright

that the one?  Animation it is.

let's see what we get in the Corto Maltese movie:

there's a Russian woman, gorgeously drawn - check

lots of train scenes, more snow - gunshots/ the train is stopped somewhere ... - yup

A man with a horse - can't remember

betrayals - absolutely

and it ends alright - sort of

I remember that years ago there were rumors about a live Corto Maltese movie/mini series. I think that Viggo Mortensen was supposed to be involved, but it looks like it'll never come to life.

I could see Pitt and Cruise in those parts but not today, maybe Cruise from Minority Report and Pitt from Fight Club.

Minority Report was only made two years ago and Fight Club only six. They can't have changed that much - and if they have, I'm sure a half-decent cinematographer and makeup job would sort that out.

The only thing that's happened to Cruise is that he fired his old publicist. He's no madder now than he ever was.

To be honest, he wouldn't be my first choice for the part. But he's no less suited to it now than he was a couple of years ago.

Cruise seems able to distance his professional life from his talk show circuit life. :lol:

I think he's been in this Scienctology stuff for years, and he did make a very good point about psychiatry..... :p

Had another conversation with my buddy Stripe tonight about casting a movie version of The Losers and was thinking all you would potentially need would be an ensemble cast, it is a bit of a blend with young and old actors but here's what we came up with...

Ryan Philippe as Jensen

Stephen Dorff as Cougar

Clive Owen as Max

Parminder Nagra(girl from Bend It Like Beckham) as Aisha, click on the link below and you'll see a pic of her

http://www.imdb.com/gallery/granitz/2060/E...ra,%20Parminder

Hugo Weaving or Ray Liotta as Roque

Ving Rhames as Pooch

Jack Nicholson as Stegler, can see him playing this character a lot like the guy he played in A Few Good Men

and

i reckon i would have to go with Kejoxen's choice of Clooney for Clay but i would also be inclined to go for Mel Gibson to play that character as well

I hate Ryan Philippe, but besides that i dont believe he has the presence of character to BE Jensen. Jensen's a tough call but i really think Ryan Renolds would be good in the role.

I wanted to say Ving Rhames for Pooch, but i reckon he's not right, if you crossed Ving Rhames from Mission Impossible with Ice Cube from 3 Kings lost 5-10 years and some major body fat in the process you'd have your Pooch.

everything else i'd go with, Aisha's always going to be a pain to cast due to the lack of hot Iranian actresses.

and how about you turn it on its head and swap out Jack for Christian Slater, doing Jack from A Few good Men, it'd be Hollywood gold.

Avoid anything called "Grendel Tales" (except Four Devils, One Hell, which is excellent) like the plague. Those are the non-Matt Wagner stories written and illustrated by "promising newcomers" in the Grendel-verse. Even when names who subsequently became big were involved, they're terrible. Really, really terrible.

come now, macan's two miniseries were grand, i tells ya, grand!

Avoid anything called "Grendel Tales" (except Four Devils, One Hell, which is excellent) like the plague. Those are the non-Matt Wagner stories written and illustrated by "promising newcomers" in the Grendel-verse. Even when names who subsequently became big were involved, they're terrible. Really, really terrible.

come now, macan's two miniseries were grand, i tells ya, grand!

I agree, but I think Four Devils, One Hell was one of those, right?

everything else i'd go with, Aisha's always going to be a pain to cast due to the lack of hot Iranian actresses.

Surely you jest. There are plenty of beautiful Iranian actresses.

Someone who might suit the role judging from what you guys have been saying (i havent read the comic myself) is the half Iranian Nadia Bjorlin.

http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.co...lin/sinpre5.jpg

I've seen her on stage and she's pretty good.

I'm confused.....I haven't read "Losers" in many months, but wasn't Aisha from Afghanistan or Turkmenistan?

Or, does James just want a hot Iranian actress?

I'm confused.....I haven't read "Losers" in many months, but wasn't Aisha from Afghanistan or Turkmenistan?

Or, does James just want a hot Iranian actress?

who gives a fuck where the towel headed bitch is from, as long as she has a great rack and a tight ass.

Transmetropolitan, directed by Paul Verhoeven. Now I cant remember if he's directed anything decent in recent years, but going back to Robocop and Total Recall, I definetely think he could pull off that kinda chaotic environment in a film with a strong central character...granted I dont think even he could pull off the overall chaotic tone of the book, but mix the mutants of Recall with the tech fetish of Robocop, add a tone of futuristic dystopia (evident in both films) and I think you have a good approximation, question is, who would you cast as Spider?

Ok, so it might be a horrible suggestion, Ive just finished reading through the second trade, this is truly the most entertaining read I've come across in a while, so I guess Im trying hard, I would love to see this on film...

Here in Southern California most of the hot, sterotypical beach babe bimbos are the girls from the rich Iranian famililies who came to the U.S. in the early 80s.

I never saw why everyone raved about Charlize Theron being so devastatingly gorgeous but she really looks pretty good in Aeon Flux, judging from the previews.......

Yes, I think Jkhristian said it well. Any comic can be made into a film - or some other as long as it is done by someone who cared.

I also agree with your LOTR remarks.  Exactly my quibbles as well.

Yay! *Two* people who share my criticism of the depiction of Frodo in the movies! Far, far too passive and useless; more baggage than Baggins in most of the first movie.

Aeon Flux - I loved the MTV series, and have all the episodes on VHS back home, and the previews have me indifferent about the movie, but I'll see it out of curiousity from the previews.

Aeon Flux - I loved the MTV series, and have all the episodes on VHS back home, and the previews have me indifferent about the movie, but I'll see it out of curiousity from the previews.

I'm just happy that with the upcoming release of the flick, we're getting an official DVD release of the Liquid Television Aeon Flux shorts as well as the full series over here.