jkhristian

Comic Book Movies that Need to be Made

Oh I'm not suggesting he should make it! But get a Nolan, a Fincher or a Coppola to do it and I'd say we're in business.

Well Tears, as our resident "insider" I'll gladly tell you what movies I think should be made. Hell, I'll even give you screen treatments and pitch ideas. Of course, I want a nice consultant's fee as part of our contractual deal. Oh, and if the money is nice enough, I'd even be willing to throw in a full blown script or two. ;)

Captain America for sure. With all the Marvel characters getting theirs I'm suprised they never made a big budget Cap movie to fuel the capatalist war machine with propaganda. Fuck, I'd dig it.

But it shouldn't solely be set in WW II, even tho I feel those are some of his best adventures. I think part of the attraction to the character, at least for me, is the man out of time angle. I like how Millar plays it up in the Ultimates a bit. Hell, it worked wonders for Star Trek IV.

Superman - I know they're currently trying to make one. But this comic-to-film bohemoth enterprise has layed dormant for long enough now.

Nexus, made by Peter Jackson. There is no better super hero space saga.

Billy Zane as The Spirit. Nuff said.

Honestly, I'd love to see Wetworks made.

Have you seen Dog Soldiers ? No gold but plenty of soldiers vs werewolves.

Oh yeah. I liked it well enough, but it was a bit too fast. And gorey. Man, I felt sick. I'll never be able to look at sausages the same way again. :o

I think any movie can be done and done well. It just has to be made by people who really care about the source material.

I was an Uber-Tolkien fan and I thought LOTR was going to suck, that it was unfilmable. And I thought they nailed it. Sure I had some quibbles, Frodo not fighting, Arwen instead of Glorfindel and the Army of the Dead at Pelennor. But it was still amazing. I was probably one of the toughest critics you could have for those films and I thought they nailed it.

I think Sandman is much the same way. It just has to be made with love. Although some of these books may be better suited for something like an HBO miniseries than cinema.

Yes, I think Jkhristian said it well. Any comic can be made into a film - or some other as long as it is done by someone who cared.

I also agree with your LOTR remarks. Exactly my quibbles as well.

But reading this forum tells me that Constantine doesnt quite approach HB but I liked it. I dont know if this is the case when ...ignorance is bliss.. thought hardly the correct terms for a movie of this kind

Yes, I think Jkhristian said it well. Any comic can be made into a film - or some other as long as it is done by someone who cared.

But should it?

.....It's "Aquaman".....

"There'll be no frustrations, just friendly crustaceans, under the sea!"

Did you ever see that skit on The State?

Super Friends

Announcer: Meanwhile, at the Hall of Justice...

Wonder Woman (Kerri): Superman, it's Flash.

Flash (Ben): (Runs in) Uh! (Panting) Fire...kids...hurry... Oh!

Aquaman (Mike B): Can I get you some water?

Flash: Please.

Batman (David): Good, Flash is already here. You all know what to do.

All: No.

Batman: Well, the volcano's exploded, we've got to act fast.

Superman (Ken): Right, Batman, Robin, you find some way to block future transmissions. Wonder Woman, you stop Dr. Spiker, and find out what he knows. Flash, run to the Andes Mountains, and get those plants. I'll go stop the missiles that have already been launched. Aquaman, you go...talk to some fish!

All (except Aquaman): (Laughing hysterically)

Superman: Break! Let's go!

Flash: Oh! Taxi!

I would really love to see those scripts of Jinx and Goldfish Bendis wrote for Miramax dusted off.

As much as the idea of Reese Witherspoon as Carrie Stetko makes me cringe, I'd still love to see Whiteout make it out of development limbo.

I alternately anticipate and dread the supposedly upcming Grendel movie. They're apparently doing the Christine Spar story, which is probably the most easily filmed of the Grendel stories, but it's Hunter Rose I'd love to see. Absolutely no movie studio would touch that one with a ten-foot pole without massive changes - imagine the uproar over the relationship between Eddie and Jocasta! - but I'd be first in line.

Although the end result would probably be bizarro, I'd love to see Baker Street done by the right set of hands. It'd never be more than a cult film, but has so much potential to be a beloved cult film. Garlands of Moonlight would have similar potential, I think.

A certain boy wizard probably has the market cornered, but Courtney Crumrin would be gobs of fun as a live action movie - even if that does mean Courtney'd have to have a nose! :happy:

Oh! The Hunter Rose stories from "Grendel" as a movie! Great choice, Selkie.

I'd hate to see what Hollywood would do to such a story, but the dream of an undiluted version of the comic makes the skin tingle.

"Grendel" is a great comic when it's being written by Matt Wagner, the creator. Any of his "Grendel" stories are very much worth reading!

It's written in such a different style than most comic books, as each issue is packed full of dialogue. It takes nearly a half an hour to finish a "Grendel" comic, or it did back when the original "Grendel" series was ongoing, which makes it worth the money.

Grendel is a series of tales about different people, in different times, all following a similar path in life (revenge). I guess it could be described as the "legacy of evil", only the "evil" is the star of the comic series.

The original Grendel was the world's greatest assassin, who dies, that was Hunter Rose. "Grendel" itself is a costume, but it takes on a life of its own when it is donned, changing the people wearing the costume.

Christine Spar, the granddaughter of Rose ends up becoming the next Grendel in order to save her son. The path repeats itself.

It's a series of interconnected stories about people becoming Grendel and the tragedy that follows.

I own the original comics, so I'm not very familiar with the Trades, but any of them that are written by Matt Wagner and have the word "Devil" in the title are worth reading.

Yeah, I guess you could say it has something in common with those titles, in fact, now that you mention it, "Grendel" may indeed have been one of the influences on those characters.

But, "Grendel" is so much more mature, better written and compelling than either!

I'd hazard a good guess that if you enjoy books like "Venom" and "Darkness" that you'd probably immediately fall in love with the grandeur of "Grendel".