jkhristian

Comic Book Movies that Need to be Made

I have 'The Phantom' on DVD

:icon_redface:

to be fair, I thought Billy Zane was ok in it, and you have to appreciate the incredible over the top stuff from Treat Williams: "Unbelievable!!!!"

that said, the movie itself is incredibly lame. but then again, I love "The Shadow" so maybe I shouldn't judge.

Balthazar. this Grendel link may help you understand the strange, complicated publication of the early Grendels. I fielded the question on so many message boards - back in the day when I visited other comic message boards than this one - that I finally wrote up the essentials and tossed it on a web page. The Hunter Rose Grendels are well worth the effort to figure out what goes where.

As for the "future Grendels" post Brian Li Sung, you're on your own, but those are much more straightforward to figure out. Most people like War Child and God and the Devil. I didn't care for either, but YMMV.

Avoid anything called "Grendel Tales" (except Four Devils, One Hell, which is excellent) like the plague. Those are the non-Matt Wagner stories written and illustrated by "promising newcomers" in the Grendel-verse. Even when names who subsequently became big were involved, they're terrible. Really, really terrible.

Grendel is a series of tales about different people, in different times, all following a similar path in life (revenge). I guess it could be described as the "legacy of evil", only the "evil" is the star of the comic series.

The original Grendel was the world's greatest assassin, who dies, that was Hunter Rose. "Grendel" itself is a costume, but it takes on a life of its own when it is donned, changing the people wearing the costume.

Christine Spar, the granddaughter of Rose ends up becoming the next Grendel in order to save her son. The path repeats itself.

It's a series of interconnected stories about people becoming Grendel and the tragedy that follows.

I own the original comics, so I'm not very familiar with the Trades, but any of them that are written by Matt Wagner and have the word "Devil" in the title are worth reading.

Of course, you don't have to don the costume or get revenge to be grendel. Diddn't the cop (was his name wiggins of something) become grendel for about 10 seconds, without the mask?

Balthazar. this Grendel link may help you understand the strange, complicated publication of the early Grendels. I fielded the question on so many message boards - back in the day when I visited other comic message boards than this one - that I finally wrote up the essentials and tossed it on a web page. The Hunter Rose Grendels are well worth the effort to figure out what goes where.

As for the "future Grendels" post Brian Li Sung, you're on your own, but those are much more straightforward to figure out. Most people like War Child and God and the Devil. I didn't care for either, but YMMV.

Avoid anything called "Grendel Tales" (except Four Devils, One Hell, which is excellent) like the plague. Those are the non-Matt Wagner stories written and illustrated by "promising newcomers" in the Grendel-verse. Even when names who subsequently became big were involved, they're terrible. Really, really terrible.

Wow, Selkie, thanx. I'll b sure to check it out.

Has anyone mentioned Team 7 yet ?

US Black Ops team get fucked over and exposed to weird gas that gives them psychic powers. Cue wicked mad Akira style psi-fights and a brilliant over the top ending involving a tac-nuke, a shotgun and a decent use of the power of love.

The losers is basically MADE for film.

The Losers is one comic series thats literally begging to be made into a film, me and my mate Stripe were talking about who we would cast for a potential Losers movie if one was to become reality.

George Clooney as Clay (not young enough), Michelle Rodriguez as Aisha (not middle eastern enough), Jamie Fox as Pooch (not Will Smith enough), Ryan Renolds as Jensen (not blonde enough), Benicio Del Toro as Cougar (also not young enough) and Edward Norton as Roque (perfect).

Will smith as Pooch? Whuh? And much though I love him, Ed Norton's voice is too whiny.

Clay - Tom Cruise on stilts (he's not a bad actor, and at least this way the movie's bankrolled)

Aisha - a hot unknown

Pooch - Michael Clarke Duncan

Cougar - Hugh Jackman

Jensen - Brad Pitt

That CIA agent who ends up tracking them - Tommy Lee Jones

Roque - Jean Reno (Diggle's original choice, and a damned good one)

Max - Ed Norton. (Can't you just see him crosslegged in a crisp suit with a hookah in one hand?)

I had a teacher who walked around everywhere with a tpb of Dark Knight Returns and said he was in the hundredth time reading it. He was pissed at the idea of Batman Begins and always said they should do Dark Knight with Clint eastwood as Batman.

Interestingly enough, Hollywood producers did address Clint Eastwood to direct and star in a Dark Knight Return movie once, but the project failed to materialise. It could have been the greatest Batman movie ever!

I'd like to see Maus, The Invisibles, Doom Patrol and Corto Maltese turned into movies... I just like to dream big I guess :wacko:

Clay - Tom Cruise on stilts (he's not a bad actor, and at least this way the movie's bankrolled)

Aisha - a hot unknown

Pooch - Michael Clarke Duncan

Cougar - Hugh Jackman

Jensen - Brad Pitt

That CIA agent who ends up tracking them - Tommy Lee Jones

Roque - Jean Reno (Diggle's original choice, and a damned good one)

Max - Ed Norton. (Can't you just see him crosslegged in a crisp suit with a hookah in one hand?)

Got to admit it James, this is some of the worse casting i've seen since well, Keanu Reeves as John Constantine.

Hugh Jackman as Cougar? Tom Cruise as Clay? Brad Pitt as Jensen?

You got to be 'avin a laff!

I had a teacher who walked around everywhere with a tpb of Dark Knight Returns and said he was in the hundredth time reading it. He was pissed at the idea of Batman Begins and always said they should do Dark Knight with Clint eastwood as Batman.

Interestingly enough, Hollywood producers did address Clint Eastwood to direct and star in a Dark Knight Return movie once, but the project failed to materialise. It could have been the greatest Batman movie ever!

I know they put nipples onto Clooney's Batman costume for Batman & Robin but do you reckon they'd put varicose veins onto Eastwood's Batman costume if they did make a film version of The Dark Knight Returns?

I'd like to see Corto Maltese turned into movies... I just like to dream big I guess  :wacko:

oh Luís....

it's actually pretty good, the animation isn't stunning, but the story (Corto in Siberia) remains pretty much completely intact.

the dutch dvd of it was great too, as the second disc was the (rather beautiful soundtrack). too bad they didn't use a Hugo Pratt image as the poster.

you can see some pics from the flick here

you can see a trailer on the official Corto Maltese/Hugo Pratt site (click on audiovisual, then movie, then trailer at the bottom)

he's obvisouly too busy being a pimp to bother with reading stuff proper.

Jamie Fox as Pooch (not Will Smith enough)

I took this to mean--- actually, I have no idea what you mean.

Hugh Jackman as Cougar? Tom Cruise as Clay? Brad Pitt as Jensen?

You got to be 'avin a laff!

Jackman and Pitt were Diggle's own choices. I thought they worked just fine, in lieu of any better actors.

I actually think that Donald Faison who plays Turk on Scrubs would make a good Pooch if he was a bit older, infact the whole cast of Scrubs would make a good Losers. Dr Cox as Clay, Carla as Aisha, JD as Jensen, The Janitor as Cougar, Ted as Roque and Dr Bob Kelso as Max

I could see Pitt and Cruise in those parts but not today, maybe Cruise from Minority Report and Pitt from Fight Club.

Jackman no way.