sethos

Constantine 2 is DEAD

Bad News: It's doing well in sales! NNNOOOOOOOOOOO!

It’s not doing that well. It did open at the top spot and the fouth spot with the deluxe Dvd but it did not set the world on fire like Tears or anyone would like you to believe. For one, it was a slow week for Dvd sales and two, it was the only major release that was available that week. It needs to break records and stay hot for a sequel to be considered, and it will not. If you notice, word of mouth has still been very bad for this film and it will continue to be, so the studio will not risk itself to produce another sequel. As for the whole Robocop/Terminator ideology that Tear brought up earlier, Both Robocop and the Terminator had strong word of mouth that brought both of them the acclaimed they deserved and both of them were re-release as a result before they were huge on Video, (back then before Dvd).

Yet again, Tears is blowing smoke up you know where.

The sequel is dead.

It’s not doing that well. It did open at the top spot and the fouth spot with the deluxe Dvd but it did not set the world on fire like Tears or anyone would like you to believe. For one, it was a slow week for Dvd sales and two, it was the only major release that was available that week. It needs to break records and stay hot for a sequel to be considered, and it will not. If you notice, word of mouth has still been very bad for this film and it will continue to be, so the studio will not risk itself to produce another sequel. As for the whole Robocop/Terminator ideology that Tear brought up earlier, Both Robocop and the Terminator had strong word of mouth that brought both of them the acclaimed they deserved and both of them were re-release as a result before they were huge on Video, (back then before Dvd).

The sequel is dead.

And again you are misquoting me. I said that IF the DVD sales were great than a sequel might happen but if they weren't Lorenzo's prediction would be true - that the audience if the final word on ANY sequel. I am not the one that is reporting DVD grosses here. So please get your facts straight before dragging my name down yet again.

Thank you

The sequel is dead.

And again you are misquoting me. I said that IF the DVD sales were great than a sequel might happen but if they weren't Lorenzo's prediction would be true - that the audience if the final word on ANY sequel. I am not the one that is reporting DVD grosses here. So please get your facts straight before dragging my name down yet again.

Thank you

So you did not make that Robocop/Terminator remark right Tears?

Please, you are so full of it.

I hope they do make a sequel, but if WB takes the effort to do so at least pick a proper star for the flick..."Ewan, Ewan, Ewan, Ewan, Ewan!"

At least check your facts before you start hurling insults around, eh? Here's what Tears actually said (a mere one page back, for those of you too lazy to check):

If anyone remembers Robocop and Terminator then they'll remember that the video sales alone drove the want-to-see of a sequel. And the sequels to terminator proved the people right. As they always are in the end. If they don;t buy the DVD, then Lorenzo's prophecy will be fulfilled. Otherwise, it's not even an edjucated guess.

The key sentence, which you seem to be ignoring, being "If they don't buy the DVD, then Lorenzo's prophecy will be fulfilled". He's right, you're wrong. Drop it.

Also, Tears is being a damn sight more civil about it, Fuji.

The defining factors of "success" for Constanteen are (1) most people who saw it and had no interest in the comic seem to have liked it (2) it made double what it cost to make (3) it's tailor-made for sequels - how else would we have over 200 monthly issues ?

We Hellblazer readers may not like it, and from the first film I'd suggest we are more likely to get comparisons with the Hellraiser sequels, but the film has already been successful enough for a sequel. If Keanu wants one.

And I'd rather see them use the sequel to correct a few of the more glaring mistakes they made - from the perspective of someone who wanted to see a Hellblazer film.

But they won't so why even think about it?

Which part of "they couldn't gives two shits about us" did you have a problem with the first time?

;)

(3) it's tailor-made for sequels - how else would we have over 200 monthly

You imply that the movie is similar to the comic.

To be honest, they've shot themselves in the foot by creating a purely Judeo-Christian world for the movie. No ghosts, no other gods, a much less subtle theological set-up... there's room for more movies, I'm sure, but they'll be treading similar ground to the original.

Well, if we were to be extremely optimistic in the face of all evidence, it WOULD be possible to state in the sequel that "That god vs. the devil thing is just a part of the picture, there's lots of other stuff going on".

It would be difficult to reconcile that with the established universe of the first movie, though, especially when you're saying it to a largely monotheistic Christian audience. Hellblazer had the advantage of setting up African demons and pagan gods right from the start, and budding out of a universe where Etrigan the Demon can fight Wonder Woman, the Amazonian goddess.

Never attribute to malice what can be explained by stupidity.

It would be difficult to reconcile that with the established universe of the first movie, though, especially when you're saying it to a largely monotheistic Christian audience. Hellblazer had the advantage of setting up African demons and pagan gods right from the start, and budding out of a universe where Etrigan the Demon can fight Wonder Woman, the Amazonian goddess.

True, but that is precisely what Hellboy is doing. Del Toro has been reported as saying that the second film will be more 'mythic' than the first one, which was all about Hellboy's demonic-ness, and yet involved psychic powers, and fish-men. I think American movie-goers can accept a syncretized universe. It's something fairly familiar to them.

Again - what stupidity? I don't want to get trapped into a cycle of defending Tears from rabid STHers, but honestly, his Robocop/Terminator comment was perfectly reasonable. All he said was that while Constanteen didn't do phenomenally well in cinemas (although it certainly didn't do too badly, either) there's still a possibility of a sequel depending on how popular the DVD turns out to be. In support of this, he cited two films which ended up with sequels partly/primarily as a result of extremely good video sales. What's wrong with that?

Again - what stupidity? I don't want to get trapped into a cycle of defending Tears from rabid STHers, but honestly, his Robocop/Terminator comment was perfectly reasonable. All he said was that while Constanteen didn't do phenomenally well in cinemas (although it certainly didn't do too badly, either) there's still a possibility of a sequel depending on how popular the DVD turns out to be. In support of this, he cited two films which ended up with sequels partly/primarily as a result of extremely good video sales. What's wrong with that?

The "wrong person" said it. 8-)

Lessee--Robocop--made for 13M, took in 53M, in America alone. Terminator, made for 6M, took in 9M in America. Easily findable facts--took me less than three minutes to find both, and I'm on dial-up. Neither is remotely comparable to Constantine, which didn't recoup it's costs at the America box office. Robocop didn't get a sequel because of video sales, it got it a sequel because it was one of the top fifteen money-makers of 1987.

The case for Terminator may be a bit more comparable, although I suspect it got made because James Cameron wanted to. The success of video may have helped convince other people that T2 was likely to be a money-maker, but I expect the impetus for the sequel was Cameron. I don't expect to see Francis Lawrence asking to make Constantine 2, as del Toro has with Hellboy 2.

Sorry to ruin a completely legitimate comparison theory with facts. I'll go back to plotting my revenge against evil ducks.

Weren't the estimated advertising costs put at around 100M too, if that's anywhere near correct then it barely broke even worldwide.

yeah, the ad buget was huge, I think. this movie will need to do huge DVD business to really turn a profit. even then, with sequels usually costing more than the first flick in a series, and making less money at the box office, I think Warners will be extremely careful about doing another Constantine. the irony is, of course, that if they'd done it according to what most here recommended (go low-budget and make it in the UK), they might have made a tidy profit.

well i think too that there is not much hope for a sequel altough i would want more from it- because its much better than azarellos hellblazer run and i enjoyed it immensly as a hellblazer fan, the only comic i really like. it was something new but not too otherwise, like garfield was- now that was a piece of shyte, garfield is not a little happy film for lil kids- if its something i hate thats shematic films- and we can say everything about constantine the movie but its not that usual crap, it insults christianity, contains no love story and is not a dumb actionfilm with dumb humour but also not an artfilm who takes itself to seroius and intellectual. its also artistic and has a genial humour.

but ok, its sometimes boring like the music is not ftitting and some corny dialogue and situations. and some idiotic changes like the stop-smoking in the end.

about the dvdsales: it does VERY well here in austria and germany, its except on amazon.de, where it was a long time on the first place or at least in the top ten, its foundable everywhere in the t10 and often on the first or second- and the dvd was released 1and a half month ago!

(just a little backstory: i had to go 5 times into the biggest dvdselling shop in vienna to see an exemplar of a constantine dvd.)

Hey!!! I'm back to spoil some moods! I want a sequel! In fact a lot of people want. I only could pre-order my DVD here yesterday, because after annouced two weeks ago at the larger DVD selling site here, it was sold out.

And, BTW, even Elektra and Hellboy might have a sequel, so... (and, Fuji, don't bother to try to prove me they can do that because of budget, yadda, yadda... I know about that stuff). And I will keep my hopes. :icon_sam:

I watched the Constantine dvd again 2 nights ago and I have to say that I still loved it greatly. Sure, it's no Hellblazer but I thought it was a fun film and I'd love to see a sequel regardless. Maybe a bit closer to the books but it seems a lil hard to do after everything that happened in the first film like some1 stated before.

And I hope they bring Francis back because I feel that for a first time film direct, he did a great job.

And, BTW, even Elektra and Hellboy might have a sequel, so... (and, Fuji, don't bother to try to prove me they can do that because of budget, yadda, yadda... I know about that stuff). And I will keep my hopes.  :icon_sam:

Elektra will not have a sequel, after the shitty performance that flick had. Hellboy will get a sequel because it was rather succesful: it did hve only a modest budget and no big stars expecting a big payday for a sequel. so there.

I do remember reading like a week or 2 ago that Avi Arad claimed that a sequel for Elektra is very much likely to happen...