sethos

Constantine 2 is DEAD

I do remember reading like a week or 2 ago that Avi Arad claimed that a sequel for Elektra is very much likely to happen...

Avi Arad is full of shit. he probably thinks Man Thing was a box office smash.

Hey Ocean, good to see you around again.

Do we have any kind of numbers on how Constantine is doing DVD wise ? I seem to recall Elektra causing quite a stir as it shifted something like a million units on the first day.

Do we have any kind of numbers on how Constantine is doing DVD wise ?  I seem to recall Elektra causing quite a stir as it shifted something like a million units on the first day.

well on rentals its on the first place so says rotten tomatoes, and on imdb its on place two on the hot dvd meter(whatever that means). on amazon its on the 21 place after it was a time on the first and second. but as i said it made very good sales in austria and germany, even now after one and a half month since its release its on many top ten boards and sometimes on the first place.

That's unfortunate, I myself was hoping for a Sequal Of Constantine, Or maybe a Prequal. I've read many of your opinions on some other post's and It is obvious you all hated the movie because it not exactly like the Comic. But then again, What movies are exactly like that Comic's other then Movie's that have done horrible in Box Offices? I think the only Movie that was similiar and held up to it's Comic was The X men Movies.

The only negative with the Constantine Movie is that It didn't hold up to it's Comic, And if tha's all the Negatives you can find, Then that really isn't saying anything. Most people judge movies on How the Characters are Played, And if the Plot keeps you Interested. And it's Sad, But most of the time it's not always on how "Accurate" it is. You all have to remember, When you make a movie, You want it to sell and Be successful, And If the movie was made the way you all wanted it, It would have probably turned out horrendous. Sure it would have been accurate, But people wouldn't watch it, Why? Because it wouldn't sell, And it wouldn't have kept you Interested. And if people turned out to watch it, It probably would have only been the Fan base of Hellblazer, And I'm sure it isn't that large. Why waste 100 million dollars on a movie, If you are only getting back 15 thousand dollars?

In my opinion, I thought the movie was good, And it made me want to start purchasing HellBlazer Comics. Oh and, I don't need anybody telling me how much my Opinion Sucks, Or How much this movie was nothing like the Comic, I already know this. Whether it was like the Comic or Not, It was a good movie.

Well it's hard for some of us who've read the comic for so long to watch the movie 'blind' without our own preconceptions about Constantine's character. A lot of people also had problems with some of the inconsistancies within the story itself such as the what the difference is between a half-breed and a regular angel or demon. When a script has been through as many re-writes as Constantine had, little things like that are bound to come up. But no one should fault you for enjoying the movie and if you've started picking up the Hellblazer monthly title then you're on the right track.

Well, just on the off-chance that you actually want a reasoned debate, instead of the flame-war you're apparently preparing yourself for...

If you'd actually read any number of the comments about the film made by members of these boads, you'd see that our problem wasn't that the film "wasn't exactly like the comic", it's that the film wasn't at all like the comic. Big difference. Plenty of people have made perfectly valid criticisms of it as a film in and of itself, too - logical incoherencies which even the screenwriters have admitted to, one-dimensional theological content, and poor editing, just for a start.

As to comic movies which have done well "despite" (or, perhaps, because of) staying pretty close to the content of the original comics...well, Spider-Man 1 & 2, Batman Begins, Sin City, and Hellboy are all lining up for sequels even as we speak. That's just for starters, and all of those were considerably closer to the source material than either of the X-Men movies.

Glad the film made you want to read Hellblazer, though. I hope you enjoy it - pick up one or two of the trade paperbacks, and let us know what you think.

Well, just on the off-chance that you actually want a reasoned debate, instead of the flame-war you're apparently preparing yourself for...

If you'd actually read any number of the comments about the film made by members of these boads, you'd see that our problem wasn't that the film "wasn't exactly like the comic", it's that the film wasn't at all like the comic. Big difference. Plenty of people have made perfectly valid criticisms of it as a film in and of itself, too - logical incoherencies which even the screenwriters have admitted to, one-dimensional theological content, and poor editing, just for a start.

As to comic movies which have done well "despite" (or, perhaps, because of) staying pretty close to the content of the original comics...well, Spider-Man 1 & 2, Batman Begins, Sin City, and Hellboy are all lining up for sequels even as we speak. That's just for starters, and all of those were considerably closer to the source material than either of the X-Men movies.

Glad the film made you want to read Hellblazer, though. I hope you enjoy it - pick up one or two of the trade paperbacks, and let us know what you think.

well, i wouldnt say "at all", because the base storyline, some events and dialogue, some behaviour n some characters are straightly from the comic.

but yeah, the big comicadaptations are in fact adaptations, not just "based on" like constantine. but im always open for changes if they arent totally 0% the soul of it like garfield was. i mean my really only problem was john quitting smoking. but who knows, maybe jc ends up like this too. because god had always some part in the comics.

Do we have any kind of numbers on how Constantine is doing DVD wise ?  I seem to recall Elektra causing quite a stir as it shifted something like a million units on the first day.

i just read on mymovies.net that constantine does also well in uk- what i never thought. its on the first place on the rental charts and on the second (after being the first) on the selling. its available since july 11.

My opinion of the film is that it's a middle of the road mainstream movie, all style no substance, no different from plenty of other almost-blockbusters. If it gets a sequel I can't imagine it even having half the originality or talent of the first one, which is not really a compliment to Constanteen, just as so many other straight to dvd sequels become more and more rubbish.

It's not Godfather 2, is it?

My opinion of the film is that it's a middle of the road mainstream movie, all style no substance, no different from plenty of other almost-blockbusters. If it gets a sequel I can't imagine it even having half the originality or talent of the first one, which is not really a compliment to Constanteen, just as so many other straight to dvd sequels become more and more rubbish.

It's not Godfather 2, is it?

well i also had to see it twice for the substance. it really has messages but not on a preaching way like matrix. and i like it because its otherwise like other films (you know, god isnt any better then satan, no freaking love story, twists) and its a very beautiful.

but its dull sometimes and there are scenes/dialogue/music in it that is corny.

but i still enjoyed it immensly the second viewing in cinema and still enjoying many parts (exorcism, henessys death, hell, angelas apartment, midnites club, the stool, satan etc.) on the better pictured dvd.

its not genial like well..genial films, buts thats not this genre isnt it?

for a sarcastic detective story with a bit theology and some scary moments its really not bad. and the acting/characters were superb like the sarcastic and dark tone of it. and keanu was for the first time really cool (apart from coughing and shooting- that was bad) plus the design really catches the eye in every aspect.

so i would want to see a sequel with a bit backstory about jc and midnite, maybe with damnations flame storyline because its so freshly bizarre. just jc has to smoke again and dont should start a love relation to angela.

The only negative with the Constantine Movie is that It didn't hold up to it's Comic, And if tha's all the Negatives you can find, Then that really isn't saying anything.

Now you *really* should have met Matadoor.

Because reducing all the criticisms to a love of the comic is his game.

There are a bunch of negatives, most of which have nothing to do with the comic and everything to do with the film-makers. One of the negatives, as you correctly point out, is that the film story is not as good as the comic story.

In my opinion, I thought the movie was good, And it made me want to start purchasing HellBlazer Comics. Oh and, I don't need anybody telling me how much my Opinion Sucks, Or How much this movie was nothing like the Comic, I already know this. Whether it was like the Comic or Not, It was a good movie.

It was a disappointing movie.

In the event of a sequel, I expect these particular film makers to improve on the first one.

No-one round here tells anyone that their opinion sucks.

Stick around, read around the subject, feel free to join in the debate.

The only negative with the Constantine Movie is that It didn't hold up to it's Comic, And if tha's all the Negatives you can find, Then that really isn't saying anything.

Now you *really* should have met Matadoor.

There are a bunch of negatives,

It was a disappointing movie.

well i know much worse movies. its not perfect but has few things really well done.and even you gave it a 6/10 rating like much of the forummembers, ans some of them really liked it, some of them really didnt.

for me 6/10 isnt sooo bad, or am i wrong?

but yes, this guy wasnt really nice altough i can imagine what he speaks about.

altough the movie has flaws. but not tooo much.

I'm not sure Mark has seen the film, though I could be wrong.

No, you're right. I've only read the script, which is why I only ever talk about the content of the film rather than the performances or direction, which I'm unqualified to pass any judgements on.

I'll probably see the DVD some time, but it's not a priority for me.

I'm not sure Mark has seen the film, though I could be wrong.

No, you're right. I've only read the script, which is why I only ever talk about the content of the film rather than the performances or direction, which I'm unqualified to pass any judgements on.

I'll probably see the DVD some time, but it's not a priority for me.

but if you do dont forget to tell us your opinion as soon as you finished :)

Oh, don't worry. My fingers will hit the keyboard before the closing credits finish rolling.

:)

well i know much worse movies. its not perfect but has few things really well done.and even you gave it a 6/10 rating like much of the forummembers

Did I give it 6/10 ? Blimey I was generous.

But yes, there were some decent aspects, mostly in visuals and one or two acting performances (sorry Tilda, even Tom said you were like a stream of bat's piss).

The thing is, this was a 9/10 story made substandard by removing key plot points and then larding on extra story to "explain" the gaps.

Oh and I know much worse movies than Constanteen too, but I didn't have such high hopes for Boxing Helena.

Oh, don't worry. My fingers will hit the keyboard before the closing credits finish rolling.

:)

and they will hit the keyboard in the same way they do in your avatar, most likely. :biggrin:

The thing is, this was a 9/10 story made substandard by removing key plot points and then larding on extra story to "explain" the gaps.

you think? i was really intrigued by it, i got surprised altough yes, the story is totally logical- its just not that "explain everything" movie, what i liked-it let you jump in right in the story and just mentioned necessary things (or less to let your brain solve the puzzle) and was because of this new for me, like an investigation and was so a bit like life - like the ending: not this dramatical shit, they just say: "maybe someday we see us again, bye", and no freaking love story. and that god wasnt any kinder than the first of the fallen, frankly less. plus that the story had real surprises for me. thats why i liked the story altough i know its pretty easy and not much mass compared to an average hellblazer-novel. altough there are too some linear and little weighing storys.

For me, the problem with the film was not that "it was not the comic". I've seen and enjoyed films that were not faithful to their sources. However Constantine's mythology was muddy, the "stinger" as well as the vast majority of the rest of the plot were stolen from other well-known films, and I never believed Keanu's character. How sad it was that Tilda Swindon completely stole every scene that she was in. The Chas Cramer character was completely superfluous, and the film treated magic as if it were just another sort of technology for Constantine-as-Bond to take from Beeman-as-Q. Ultimately, what really digusted me about this film was the way it was composed of fairly direct thefts many other films, and did not conceal said thievery. There was nothing in the film that I hadn't seen before.

You are entitled to your opinion. It does not suck, and you are not stupid. However, we do not agree.

There was nothing in the film that I hadn't seen before.

Oh god, I hate doing this... But whether you liked it or not - you've seen a man hold a cat with his feet in a bucket to go to Hell? You've seen a man attacked by a demon made of a million pieces of vermin? You've seen a man hold a woman under water until she practically drowns so she can see hell? You've seen an electric chair used to surf the ether? You've seen a man slit his wrists to save the world? You've seen a man give a demon his last rights to send him to heaven? You've seen a man give the finger to the devil? You've seen a woman be ripped backwards through an entire high rise? Could you tell me which movies these were in so I can rent them?

Sorry, I couldn;t help myself. I'll go back to the cage now.

Well, you're right, Tears! There is plenty in this movie I've never seen, now that you mention it! Unfortunately, it was also stuff I never wanted to see! :lol:

Let's go over your list and narrow it down a bit, shall we?

I give you three as being original to this movie:

you've seen a man hold a cat with his feet in a bucket to go to Hell? Dear Lord, no! Not even in my worst eating Chinese food too late induced halluciongenic dreams! Man, that Exctasy crap really does work, doesn't it?!

You've seen an electric chair used to surf the ether? You only get half a point though, because I've seen a naked silver guy surfing space on a surfboard.

You've seen a man attacked by a demon made of a million pieces of vermin? Nah, but I saw a shite demon in some Kevin Smith movie. Beat that!

OK, moving on.....

You've seen a man hold a woman under water until she practically drowns so she can see hell? Probably in other serial murder/supernatural horror movies. This really can't be original. It's way too easy.

You've seen a man slit his wrists to save the world? In the Hellblazer comic.

You've seen a man give a demon his last rights to send him to heaven? This must've been in an episode of "Buffy"! It's stupid enough to have been! OK Mark, you can start yelling at me again now. :)

You've seen a man give the finger to the devil? In the Hellblazer comic.

You've seen a woman be ripped backwards through an entire high rise? Wasn't this from a "Terminator" movie? Something similar?