sethos

Constantine 2 is DEAD

You've seen a woman be ripped backwards through an entire high rise? Wasn't this from a "Terminator" movie? Something similar?

It looks to me like a variation of the Trinity Falls scene from The Matrix Reloaded, at the beginning of the film where she's falling backwards out of a high building.

On the DVD commentary they talk about the car chase scene that had to be cut for costs and they suggest that Keanu and the director talked about what to do in its place and they came up with the idea together.

Tears is right about those little original ideas that could have been grafted on to any genre film.

Constanteen is a familiar looking building made of BRAND NEW BRICKS (but with the roof left off).

well i have no problems with filmstealing if they make something out of it that fits. and it did. but there were original ideas (wheter you liked these ideas or not, for me they were fascinating or funny) and at least visually its damn fine made.

and i did believe keanu everything except the coughing and the shooting- he was cool what he never did.

that they cut the magic out, is shyte, but for me understandable: in a world where occultism stands for charmed (i have a problem with that) and a wizard stands for harry potter (with that not), constantine would have been looking more stealing like it did now- altough we know that these are original ideas but the hellblazer-not-knowers dont.

and it would see for them like some buffy-charmed-suspense-shit (sorry).

you've seen a man hold a cat with his feet in a bucket to go to Hell?

You've seen an electric chair used to surf the ether?

You've seen a man attacked by a demon made of a million pieces of vermin?

You've seen a man slit his wrists to save the world? In the Hellblazer comic.

You've seen a man give a demon his last rights to send him to heaven?

You've seen a man give the finger to the devil? In the Hellblazer comic.

the first thing was funny, the second cool, the third pretty cgi-d, the fourth too funny, and the last to in the hellblazercomic, but not in a film.

and not speaking about hell what looks like the world soon after a nuclearbomb and is a paralellworld to our world, and how you teleport yourself there with water (original and beautiful), the demons with the half head who was blind, brainless, weak and just there for couse pain to humans, and the other one who looks similar but has wings and crippled legs with a huge belly so he cant go to hius feet and is condemned to fly always, the henessy deat scene was also very well made, and in overall the films sets, colors, tone, cgi, camerawork and design were spectacular.

oh and i forgot to say that there were some really good pieces of music, altough at ravenscar it was shyte.

and they really worked for the film. two scriptwriters. 1 year and more for the cgi. return to the sets for new shooting. francis cutting a character because he wants to do his vision. francis showing the finger for wb that hes not cutting the film for a pg13 rating. the work on the props. or these little details like the philipino frases at the exorcism scene, the sign of alchemist for sulfur as tatoo for protection by the red king (he has another tatoo on his back like one cover of the comics). or the waxfigure of isabel (in hp 2 we saw how a bad waxfigure looks, in this one it was pretty good).

i always like if you can see the work on a film. and i really like if they make their own fantasies for something. thats why im not soo angry about the changes, altough i think theres something from the soul of the comics left, but i think no one wants to hear that again (if, i really would want to show why it was that way for me), it makes no sense because on this board were speculations since 2003 how the film will be. and everybody has his own opinion and mind- but none of us has more or less truth like the other (except those who were in here for money :))

oh and by the way adrian brown, this is the exact statement from lawrence on imdb about the cutting of ellie:

"Director Francis Lawrence stated that she was left on the cutting room floor because he wanted Constantine to be completely alone when he meets Angela"

Oh god, I hate doing this... But whether you liked it or not - you've seen a man hold a cat with his feet in a bucket to go to Hell? 

You're right, I've never seen that before.

Bram Stoker's Dracula

You've seen a man hold a woman under water until she practically drowns so she can see hell?

Reminded me of the bath-tub scene in Jacob's Ladder.

Shocker.

You've seen a man slit his wrists to save the world?

A man kills himself to save the world. Wait, I think I've seen this before. Don't tell me... it was a Mel Gibson film most recently... damn, all I can come up with are the initial "JC".

Marlowe's Dr. Faustus.

You've seen a man give the finger to the devil?

Do I owe you credit for things you didn't create? Dogma, End of Days.

You've seen a woman be ripped backwards through an entire high rise?

This one I'll have to think about. I'm certain that I've seen people drawn through corridors backwards.

But let's talk about the actual plot and plot points. It seemed that the "Gabriel is a rebel" came from The Prophecy, since he wasn't a rebel in the comic. Same name and everything. Beeman as a character seemed to serve the same function as "Q" from a Bond film, the exorcism in the beginning was directly from the Exorcist. Shall I go on?

Oh god, I hate doing this... But whether you liked it or not - you've seen a man hold a cat with his feet in a bucket to go to Hell? 

You're right, I've never seen that before.

Bram Stoker's Dracula

You've seen a man hold a woman under water until she practically drowns so she can see hell?

Reminded me of the bath-tub scene in Jacob's Ladder.

Shocker.

You've seen a man slit his wrists to save the world?

A man kills himself to save the world. Wait, I think I've seen this before. Don't tell me... it was a Mel Gibson film most recently... damn, all I can come up with are the initial "JC".

Marlowe's Dr. Faustus.

You've seen a man give the finger to the devil?

Do I owe you credit for things you didn't create? Dogma, End of Days.

You've seen a woman be ripped backwards through an entire high rise?

This one I'll have to think about. I'm certain that I've seen people drawn through corridors backwards.

But let's talk about the actual plot and plot points. It seemed that the "Gabriel is a rebel" came from The Prophecy, since he wasn't a rebel in the comic. Same name and everything. Beeman as a character seemed to serve the same function as "Q" from a Bond film, the exorcism in the beginning was directly from the Exorcist. Shall I go on?

we now that already, but thats no proof that its a bad film-just that it stealed. but as i said i have no problem with that if they make something good out of it. im sorry that so few people found it fresh and cool and beautiful and funny like i did. it really dont deserves that. altough i understand why some people dislike it (not hate it- i dont understand haters) but i hope they will or try to understand why some people like it.

No but the hackneyed script, nonsensical plot and lifeless direction are.

Badda-boom.

I'm here all week ladies and gentlemen.

But seriously folks, what's done is done. Can't we all just let bygones be bygones?

Badda-boom.

But seriously folks, what's done is done. Can't we all just let bygones be bygones?

yeah the script was too little. but its not senseless- its just not explaing itself, everything is pretty logical. because i dont know what the director was responsible for, i cant say if its poorly directed. it was dull sometimes, okay. but i had no problems with the cutting or acting and i found it pretty.

what do you mean with lifeless?

What Tom said. Please?

What Tom said. Please?

yeah if the others stop saying something bad about it if someone mentiones it :)

(you know, "this awful film" and stuff)

I mean that most of the performances are stilted and dull, which, bearing in mind the calibre of talent on display, can only be down to poor direction. As I said when I reviewed the film, Lawrence seems to have a fine handle on the flashy visuals but is no great shakes when it comes to getting a perfomance out of an actor.

Mind you, the dialogue didn't give them much to work with.

But anyway, who cares? The sun is shining and there'll be another piss poor Alan Moore adaptation along any minute.

yeah if the others stop saying something bad about it if someone mentiones it :)

(you know, "this awful film" and stuff)

I think it was them Tom was talking to, as much as anyone.

I mean that most of the performances are stilted and dull, which, bearing in mind the calibre of talent on display, can only be down to poor direction. As I said when I reviewed the film, Lawrence seems to have a fine handle on the flashy visuals but is no great shakes when it comes to getting a perfomance out of an actor.

Mind you, the dialogue didn't give them much to work with.

But anyway, who cares? The sun is shining and there'll be another piss poor Alan Moore adaptation along any minute.

i find them making a good job in bodylanguage (mimic+gestic), but yeah they didnt talk too much. but i liked some of the dialogue wheter it was sarcastic or interesting. and i liked the characters except the police officer.

so i think they did make a good or at least okay job altough i think there not that average people who they had to portray :) john was a distressed supernatural detective. midnites an agressive businessman with power. balthazar is the slimey right hand of his boss. lou was a man who cared just for souls not for everyone thinking of him. gabriel was a up-nosed crazy angel with just a little bit of heart. and in that frame they made what they had to i think.

To each his own.

because it sounded like an insult :)

yeah thats like this :) everyone thinks different and has so a different opinion and none of us is more or less right than the other because everyone experiences everything in another way. even the hellblazer comic and its film :)

i understand you and all the others and i hope you nderstand me too or try to do it.

When I first saw the film in theatres I was a bit confused at some scenes but I still enjoyed it and got the main grasp of the story, although it did seem a bit chopped. But when I watched it again, this time with captions, I understood the movie completely, so now I'm a lil confused on how people dislike the film because the script makes no sense?

When I first saw the film in theatres I was a bit confused at some scenes but I still enjoyed it and got the main grasp of the story, although it did seem a bit chopped. But when I watched it again, this time with captions, I understood the movie completely, so now I'm a lil confused on how people dislike the film because the script makes no sense?

tja...

oh i remembered one more thing why i liked constantine: it reminded me of max payne, besides mafia the best 3rd person shooter.

and one more original idea (or let me say it so, what i liked) that if someone passes into another dimension time stops. that was cool also visually and in idea. altough maybe it isnt new.

I liked that whole time stops thing too. But what sorta got me was when Lucifer came down and time also stopped, that was probably the only problem that got me becuz it wasn't explained, but Lucifer walking through the broken glass scene was ace.

oh and by the way adrian brown, this is the exact statement from lawrence on imdb about the cutting of ellie:

"Director Francis Lawrence stated that she was left on the cutting room floor because he wanted Constantine to be completely alone when he meets Angela"

So why wasn't he alone then ?

He had his little boyfriend, and those geeky occult chaps from his fan club.

And why were there several other "reasons" also mentioned in interviews ... oh, and the cut was only made after test screenings. Which makes Francis's "decisions" seem somewhat forced upon him.

Depending on your view of test screenings.

Badda-boom.

No.

You had your say before the film came out.

Now it's our turn ;-)

I liked that whole time stops thing too. But what sorta got me was when Lucifer came down and time also stopped, that was probably the only problem that got me becuz it wasn't explained, but Lucifer walking through the broken glass scene was ace.

That was just a manifestation of Luci's power, I think. He's on quite a different level from the other characters in the film, after all.