Christian

Spider Man 3:SPOILERS!!!

This is from Spiderfan.org. It's just a POSSIBLE Spoiler, so don't give it out as total fact, nor is it known if Church will be playing the only villain.

"Item: Spider-Man 3 Villain Revealed (Jul 27 2005)

We received the following email just recently:

Don't reveal your source, but a source close to the production of Spider-Man 3 confirmed for me that the main villain played by Mr. Thomas Hayden Church will in fact be the Chameleon.

Church plays Dmitri Smerdyakov, who goes by false name Dr. Turner at Peter's college. The Chameleon also has a brother in this film, which will set up Kraven the Hunter for a future sequel I'm told. Le'ts just say that the Chameleon will use his powers of performance and identify theft to bridge a gap between MJ and Peter Parker in this film.

The producers and Raimi have a big publicity event right before production starts to make this announcement. Look for it after Thanksgiving, with production to start this winter. This will begin the hype for Spider-Man again. They will also start issuing a new animated DVD featuring the Chameleon right before the new movie hits theatres.

Also, Harry does become the Second Green Goblin, but only at the very end. He's kind of like Anakin in Episode III -- growing evil throughout the film, and not donning the full mantle of recognizable villain until the climax.

Please announce this.

It's official: the Chameleon is the character Hayden Church will play, I promise. Just don't reveal your source, because with my name out there, it could be traced to the source on set. That's all I ask, thanks.

Well... I can't reveal the source, because the email was sent anonymously. I have no idea if this information is accurate or not, but hey, I thought we'd pass it on and see what you think. You feedback is welcome!"

wel, I just read the rumor that Topher Grace might play the Spider-Clone. which would be worse.

Whoops! Should've known this would go in Movies, but Spider Man misled me!

You actually think Chameleon is a better choice than Venom, Mark?

I hate Venom in the comics, but I think he'd make a great visual on the screen. And, we all go to see these superhero movies for lots of action, which is what Venom would bring.

I just don't see Chameleon working very well as a main villain on the screen. If Kraven or some other supervillain were the main villain and Chameleon was there, it would work much better.

You actually think Chameleon is a better choice than Venom, Mark?

Sweet Christ, yes.

Diaper rash would be a better villain than Venom.

The Chameleon?

*yawn*

Electro, Sandman, Vulture or Venom would have been much better. Venom would definitely be something to see up on the screen.

Sandman's always been so boring to me. But, the CGI probably would've been good with him.

Even though I like Vulture in the comics, I think he'd be just as bad as Chameleon on the movie.

Electro really sucks as a villain (I mean, look at that damn costume!)....but, he'd make for an action packed movie, at least. Lots of things go "BOOM!"

I still wanted Lizard!

Up with the Lizard! They could make a damn creepy film with him as the villain...and Sandman, too, if they really tried. He can get in anywhere, creep about without being spotted, and has the brute strength to have an action extravaganza!

Chameleon would be a dull villain, but still, I'll take him over Venom. DEATH TO LAZY DOPPELGANGER VILLAINS!

All the core cast (Maguire, Dunst, James Franco, Shillinger, yer one who plays Aunt May) from the first two films are contracted for at least one more, yes.

peace brothers, we have still almost two years to spiderman 3 (uh i hate to wait).

but yeah it seems the chameleon will be the next villain plus harry will be taking the footsteps of his father.

the contract, btw, goes until spiderman 7.

The thing I don't understand is why would Thomas Hayden Church need to bulk up to play the Chameleon? I don't recall the character being that large or physically imposing.

Actually based on his appearance on the Tonight Show, where he displayed the drawings of characters he won't be playing, I thought maybe he was hinting at Kraven the Hunter. (All the drawings were based on animals -- things like seals and giraffes, etc.)

Church really looks nothing like Kraven. Kraven is Russian, with black hair. And, if you think about it, almost all of the Spider-villains are based on animals (Octopus, Vulture, Tarantula, Kangaroo, Grizzly, Gibbon, and Chameleon as examples).

Maybe the movie people just wanted all of Spider Man's villains to look big and imposing? I wouldn't blame them. Obviously, there's eventually going to be a fight scene between Spidey and Chameleon, and having a 130 lb. guy slugging it out with Spider Man isn't going to endear to the audience.

Spider Man 7, huh?! Damn! I guess they decided to get the B-list villains out of the way while the iron was still hot on the movie franchise!

Oh, and that segment on "The Tonight Show" really pissed me off! I saw it before I found these Spoilers online. :lol:

I agree with you that he looks nothing like Kraven. Based on facial features I'd say he's closest to Sandman, but as I said, I was just trying to read something into his time-wasting appearance with Leno.

As for looking big, I mean it's not like Tobey is a giant 6'5" and 250lbs, so I don't have an issue with a smaller guy getting into a fight with Spidey.

Mysterio might have made for a possible villain. The fish bowl would need some attention from a designer, but it might have been fun to play with the "is it magic/is it technology angle" of that character.

I really thought they would have introduced the Black Cat this time around. I seem to recall reading something about that possibility a while back, but there hasn't been anything recent confirming or denying the possibility.

I just hope that Bruce Campbell gets another (bigger) part. :D

:lol: -I can see it now!

"That's guy's pretty cool, but dad, why does he have a fish bowl on his head?!"

"As for looking big, I mean it's not like Tobey is a giant 6'5" and 250lbs, so I don't have an issue with a smaller guy getting into a fight with Spidey. "

True, but he has the proportinate strength of a spider! It's always been the character's modus operandi, that he's some little, nerdy guy who always had such a tough time with big, strong bullies; but now he's got this alter-ego who can beat the hell out of guys no matter how muscular they are. Spidey works best as an underdog.

Sure I'll give you the skinny, underdog thing, but lots of the bad guys weren't muscle-bound hulks -- the Tarantula, the Vulture (I mean he's an old guy from the seniors' home ;) ), the Rose, Electro, etc., so there is no need to put every villain on steriods.

On the other hand, Tombstone should be a bigger guy, so should Kraven and the Sandman, and the Kingpin and the Rhino. Boy when you come to think of it, Spider-man really does need a better class of opponents. :D

So I can't sell anybody in a Black Cat and Silver Sable Spider-man picture? And here I thought this board was populated by fanboys. ;)

Yeah, you're right about Spider-villains not all being musclebound, but I still say by Hollywood mentality they all should be.

Spider Man doesn't have a very good rogues' gallery? But, he's got the 2nd best in all of comics, after Batman....so, what are you saying about everyone else's rogue's gallery??

Does El Matador, Owl, and Purple Man from D.D. not do it for you, huh? :lol:

Well, "Hollywood mentality" has thus far given us a skinny-ass Willem Dafoe and a chubby Alfred Molina.

I gotta say, Spider-man does have a pretty sad rogue's gallery. Definitely not second in line after Bats . . . I'd go with the X-Men there. Magneto, Apocalypse, Mr. Sinister, Dark Phoenix? Those are some great characters!

But back to the topic: yeah, that's not the best news for moi. I was really pining on The Lizard being the "it" boy this time.

I've got a lot of time for the Spider-Man rogues' gallery, personally. Green Goblin, Doctor Octopus, Kraven, the Vulture, Sandman, Kingpin (sure, he's more associated with Daredevil these days, but he began as a Spidey villain), Electro, Hobgoblin, the Lizard, Silver Sable, the Black Cat, the Scorpion, the Chameleon, Mysterio...even Venom and Carnage, who don't do much for me. Not a bad line-up there, I'd say, and those are just the obvious candidates...

Which is why I think most people would say that Spider-Man has better villains than "X-Men". I love Mr. Sinister as a villain, but a lot of people think of him as a joke because of his costume, name, and the fact that he usually doesn't have much of a plan when he shows up as a villain. Apocalypse always bored me. Dark Phoenix was the villain for one story-line, and the Hellfire Club were the actual villains for all but like the final 3 chapters. There's the Sentinels, who are one-dimensional and Juggernaut, who became a total joke until they just decided to make him a hero. Magneto is the greatest villain in all of comicdom, of course, but the X-Men really don't have many recurring villains.

I'd agree with that - the X-Men have a few excellent stories which have revolved around individual villains (most notably the Dark Phoenix saga), but in terms of versatile, recurring antagonists, it's pretty much Magneto and the Sentinels, the a bunch of one-offs and no-marks. Spider-Man and Batman both have a well-rounded cast of recurring villains, ranging from intelligent scheming masterminds to brainless goons, with every conceivable 'quirky' gimmick inbetween.

Personally I am hoping for a Spidey movie with 1 or more of the following; the Gibbon, the Looter, Will-o-the-wisp, or the Tarantula.

Seriously I am hoping for Mysterio. It seemed to me after playing the Spider-man 2 video game that maybe they had at least something in mind for Mysterio. The movie wouldn't need to be all about him, he could be 1 of 2 villians. Same with Black Cat.