Christian

Spider Man 3:SPOILERS!!!

The stuff where he'd gone all hair-flicky and was chatting up women had me cringing.

The stuff where he'd gone all hair-flicky and was chatting up women had me cringing.

Yeah, but since it was obviously supposed to, I didn't mind that at all. I even thought the much-derided dancing scene in the jazz club was absolutely hilarious - probably the highlight of the whole mess, in fact, although it had clearly wandered in from an entirely different (and rather better) movie. James Franco was ace, as was most of the Harry Osborn subplot until it went tits-up in the final act, Bryce Howard did excellent work with an under-written role, the first action sequence was great (nice use of the engagement ring to introduce a genuine element of threat and suspense to the film - we know Peter isn't going to die, but it's quite feasible that he'll lose the ring), and Sandman was pretty good until he turned into Godzilla.

The rest of it (particularly the profoundly unnecessary Venom barely-a-subplot, although points should be awarded for giving a modicum of credibility to one of the shittest origin stories in comics) ranged from just-about-adequate to utter bobbins, veering more and more towards the latter as the film went on.

That started out as a really quite entertaining and promising movie, and turned absolutely rubbish little over half-way through.

The good bits:

- Bryce Dallas Howard was lovely, if somewhat washed out because they forced her to have bleached-blonde hair, when her complexion is far too pale for that. As so many others have said, she would have made a MUCH better MJ.

- Nearly every scene with James Franco was awesome, he was a total scene-stealer. And really hot too. :) The bit with the butler towards the end was a bit lame (Harry's been ranting about his need for revenge on Peter for nearly two movies, and only NOW did you see fit to tell him that oh yeah, Norman Osborn's death was clearly not Peter's fault at all), but apart from that, he was generally one of the best things in the film.

- Aunt May talking to Peter about Uncle Ben's proposal, and marriage in general, and handing Peter the ring and all was lovely. That made me all moved even in the advance preview bits.

- The first action sequence with Harry was good, and kind of tense.

- J.Jonah Jameson was pretty good, although that scene with the small child towards the end was horrible. Jameson should have just ripped the camera from the little brat.

- Peter actually using his brain and knowledge of science to stop Venom in the end. It was clearly not made very obvious, as Mark (who usually spots these things and explans them to me after a film, not the other way around) didn't spot it, but they do actually set up Peter's knowledge of sound waves, accoustics etc. early on in the film with Peter geeking at MJ about the whole thing, and then using similar things towards the end. There was a similar scene in the 45-minute episode of Doctor Who last Saturday, where the writers DID have time to explain it, but clearly there was just too much else to cram into a two and a half hour film to explain exactly how the end of the movie tied into the start.

- Thomas Hayden Church's performance. If he'd been allowed to, he could have turned the Sandman into a nuanced, complex and interesting villain, but instead they wanted a whole bunch of CGI effects.

- Oh yeah, the action scene where Spider-man rescues Gwen Stacy was also quite good.

The bad bits, or should I say the bits that were so bad I feel the need to especially highlight them:

- Venom. It was so obvious that Sam Raimi didn't want to use this character. Eddie Brock got barely any character development, and when he finally does turn into Venom, he's barely on screen for more than 15 minutes total. And he's pretty lame when he is on screen.

- The use of the Sandman. While the setup and initial origin for the character was well-done, they clearly just forget about him because of all the other stuff that goes on in the film. How does he suddenly get the power not just to turn into sand or back to solid form, but to absorb and take control over WAY more sand. First all the sand in the lorry, then enough to become the size of a several-stories-high building, only to become person-sized again after Harry lobs a couple of missiles at him?

- Kirsten Dunst's performance as Mary Jane. I never want to hear her sing ever again. I felt sympathy for her in the proposal scene at the restaurant, where Peter is just so VERY clueless, but for most of the film she's self-centred, whiny, not to mention very haggard-looking, and both Peter and Harry are clearly far better off without her.

General questions I asked myself at various parts of the film:

- How did Peter get back from the Church, clearly buck naked after peeling off the Venom-infested Spidey-suit?

- Why did Peter's hair turn black in the scenes where he was emo, I mean bad, only to turn brown again in the periods in between when he was feeling good again?

- Just how good were the surgeons who took care of Harry after the explosion in his big lair of Goblindom, since the clearly hideous burns on his face (or they wouldn't have left such scarring) healed so quickly?

That's it. I'm done.

Seen it yesterday at last. Would have posted a review the other day, but my modem went bye-bye, so i will be without net for at least two days (More likely until Monday- At least i get a new one free. If you ask how i can write then, im in a Viennese public library :))

I dont know yet if i want to keep it short or long, so details may follow, and ill start with the bottomline first:

Well, ive enjoyed it. Surprisingly for things i thought would bore me, and on the other hand, loathed it for things i anticipated for.

In the end, i was happy to catch it and see Mr. Parker in a new adventure, but there were many things that annoyed or even angered me, and i surely would have cut or done differently the half of the film.

, but there were many things that annoyed or even angered me, and i surely would have cut or done differently the half of the film.

Was it him actually wanting MJ back?

I don't think I understood it. Was it all in English?

I did notice that the Vulture was drawn to look like Dick Cheney....unintentionally. That part was funny.

Guest spiderlegs

Ugh, when he's dancing down the street and pointing to the babes...then he starts playing in that jazz band? Dancing with Gwen Stacy in front of MJ...I just didn't realize the power of the symbiote to be able to perform improvizational jazz like that... :rolleyes:

ITS A GOOD FILM!

Lacking the effort neccessary top make any kind of argument, I'm just going to say that. It really didn't helpt hat i knew most of what happened due to the comics, and Venom sucked, and I preferred the first two, BUT it was still good. So neh.

And given sufficient time, I will find you an evil alien jazz player.

Ugh, when he's dancing down the street and pointing to the babes...then he starts playing in that jazz band? Dancing with Gwen Stacy in front of MJ...I just didn't realize the power of the symbiote to be able to perform improvizational jazz like that... :rolleyes:

Why, i think it stays true to the light-hearted, oldschool and goofy jokes in the previous films (The "raindrops are falling on my head" or the "Itchy crotch", respectively "Closet" scenes in Spider-Man 2 for example)

You know what *i* hated?

The shallowness of Sandman. Disposable nothingness.

Or Venom, who had me in stitches. I thought he'll be terrifying, and yet it was so ludicrously done.

Pity, because i dug and related to the Parker- Brock dilemma.

And dont get me started on Stacy...or those silly excuses for plot-hole-fillers.

And those fucking news reports and americanesque crowds! Jesus.

Even black-suited Spidey wasnt an even vaguely sketched drawing.

But the things i liked in the previous films were still there, so i had a fairly good time.

It surely the worst from the three though.

And they want to make at least three more!

Inca, he means they were all white.

....? No?

:laugh: -I would like to find out more about this alien's culture now.

And those fucking news reports and americanesque crowds! Jesus.

What do you mean by Americanesque crowds?

You know, crowds standing in the street, looking and pointing at something going on and than commenting the scene while exhaling ecstaticly, touching their heart, tearing out hairs, slapping and shaking their head in disbelief, crying, screaming, jumping, smiling, gasping, sighing etc., in short tangling everything what is happening and going "Ah!! and "Huh!", clapping, cheering etc.

Thats just SO Hollywood and should stay in Fantastic Four or similar movies.

Guest spiderlegs
I just didn't realize the power of the symbiote to be able to perform improvizational jazz like that... :rolleyes:

Dude, he's shouting out tempo changes and everything!

It's from the same planet as Jaco Pastorius: you don't think he was a mere Earthling, surely?

(Watched this last night. It wasn't brilliant, to put it mildly.)

Um, I really liked it. A lot.

Yeah, there were a few annoyances--- emo Peter's emotastic haircut, emo Pete's sidewalk steppin', the symbiote's ability to make someone into an awesome pianist, Spidey posing in front of the American flag (again), Marko being involved with Uncle Ben's death, the newscast cutaway when Spidey looks like he's beaten, a couple of the memory flashbacks (oh, yeah, the symbiote doesn't like sound), and a few others---- but I thought the majority of the film was solid. The action sequences were gloriously shot, the effects superb, the direction assured, Bruce Campbell gets his best cameo yet, Byrce Dallas Howard is absolutely smokin' as a blonde, the rift between MJ and Peter wasn't forced or unfounded, Venom did not suck and was in fact better than the comics version, Mountain Dew Goblin was actually pretty cool, Grace's Brock was appropriately sleazy and weasely, Aunt May's Hallmark speeches were far less lame than the commercials made them seem, there was a good balance of humor, action, suspense, and "human" moments.

I think I like this film the best out of all 3.

It probably helped that I watched it in two sittings, so the bloated runtime was a non-issue for me.

Seriously, I thought it was great.

DVD Anyone?

I got the Blu-Ray boxset which looks like sex in HD.

And just for some latent advertising its £9.97 at toysrus (2 disc dvd special edition), that is ridiculously cheap.

It probably helped that I watched it in two sittings, so the bloated runtime was a non-issue for me.

I saw it in the cinema and it didn't feel bloated at all. Plenty of genuine comedy (especially the scene with Bruce Campbell) rather than the lame quips or pratfalls that turn up in some films, and action scenes where - wait for it - you could actually see what was happening! There's just not enough of that in Hollywood these days.

A great ending to a great trilogy. The bit was the butler was shit, though. Surely Harry could've found out about Parker not killing his dad some other way?

I saw it in the cinema and it didn't feel bloated at all. Plenty of genuine comedy (especially the scene with Bruce Campbell) rather than the lame quips or pratfalls that turn up in some films, and action scenes where - wait for it - you could actually see what was happening! There's just not enough of that in Hollywood these days.

A great ending to a great trilogy. The bit was the butler was shit, though. Surely Harry could've found out about Parker not killing his dad some other way?

Wow james we rarely agree on anything, savour this day my friend.

My cousin rented this and FF II y.d. and brought it over to watch it.

Talk about night and day...based on reviews, I expected to like F.F. II and hate this movie, but it was the complete opposite really (F.F. review in appropriate thread). I should've known based on the past movies in each series.

Besides the stupidity of the Symbiote being treated like The Mask at first, I really enjoyed this movie a lot. I don't have any complaints besides those scenes with Peter acting "evil" and even that...the scene on the street was actually pretty funny, and after the incredibly stupid dancing scene, Peter getting angry and beating up the bouncers in the club was pretty neat.

I thought it was right up there at the top of the Marvel movies.

In fact, this was probably my favourite Spider movie, and the Spider movies have been my favourite of the Marvel films.

We watched F.F. II first, and I was really worried that the use of two villains in this film was going to ruin it too, and while I could've stood to not see the Sandman return at the end, I wasn't disappointed at all because Venom actually got a good bit of the spotlight.

I was very interested the Symbiote and Venom parts of this movie.

The ending was really great too. It made me forget the fact that I originally hated them making Marko into Uncle Ben's killer.

And, the use of Harry Osbourne wasn't as disappointing as reading the reviews here made think it would be either. I thought they used him very well in this film...even if the new Goblin outfit was stupid.

Maybe the "Mary Jane sings" stuff could've been cut way down, but outside of that, I felt every scene in the movie served a purpose.

Oh, and god yes, J. Jonah Jameson was hilarious. Just an absolutely stupendous job of playing that character.

ow... people actually liked this film? I didn't like it. The only thing I enjoyed in this movie was evil Peter and the scene where Harry told Peter he was the other guy. Oh, and Gwen Stacy was hot too. But overall, I thought the movie was just trash. It was such a drag fest filled with too much angst, too much heartache, and too much damn depression riding through each scene. There was hardly a redeeming moment in this film, I just disliked everyone. Everyone was all whiney about their lives, and I don't mind that, but there were no fresh air whatsoever. Things just got worse for each character and in the end, it still left on a depressing note. The whole fun factor of the Spider-Man mythos and the previous movies were just stripped away.

Also, Venom... there's no back-story on where the hell that symbiote came from, we're just to welcome it into the movie no problem. Also, Eddie Brock was just a waste. He's in the movie for maybe 5 minutes and after that he's ready to go to church and pray for Parker's death. :huh:

And that scene with the butler pissed me off so much it wasn't even funny. If this were done right or real, as Harry I would have said, "You mean to tell me all this damn time I've been on a downward spiral trying to kill my best friend, and NOW you tell me my father killed himself? After my face is all messed up, after I've done all these horrible things for 2 full damn movies?!? You're fired."

While there was a lot of fun in the Spider-books, there was always a lot of depression and angst. Peter Parker was usually unhappy and dealing with one crisis after another. I didn't think the tone of this movie was too far out of line for even Stan Lee's Spider Man.

Oh yeah, the thing about Eddie Brock is a really good point. I think I brought that up once before on here though, so I didn't write it again.

It's incredibly stupid that they made Brock into Venom with so little back-story. They really should've been setting up the character of Eddie Brock at least since the 2nd movie, if not the first.

Really show the downward spiral Brock was on and why he felt it was all Parker's fault.

Eddie Brock was a wasted character, and if I didn't enjoy the scenes with Venom so much, I would've had a much bigger problem with how non-chalant the creators were with the character.

Balthy: Imho, exactly Brock and his "relationship" with Peter was one of the strongest moments of the film. He really had a reason to hate Parker and acted accordingly. The wasted character was Sandman to my mind.

I'm not sure how Sandman could be wasted. A throwaway villain in the comic book, he turned into one of the most important characters in the Spider-mythos with the reveal in the movie, and he got a great character moment at the end of the film where they really fleshed out his motivation and made him more than a two-bit hood who got sand powers.

He was far better used in this movie than he had any right to be!