Christian

Spider Man 3:SPOILERS!!!

Shawn, did you read J.M. DeMatteis' run on "Spectacular Spider Man"? Classic stuff! He has those issues with the "Legion of Losers" as villains. It was the Kangaroo, the Gibbon, and Spot. Hilarious stuff!

Yeah, but the '70s were a crazy time, and like most comic book characters who have died, he was brought back in the ever lovin' 90s.

kirsten dunst said on superherohype.com that it seems its her last spiderman.

she only will be in the next one(s) if they write her an outstanding story or she gains a shitload of money for it.

:)

its not her fault, the contract she made with them (or vice versa) goes until the third installment.

and the shitload of money was just a joke from her.

I'd rather they stick at three, unless they've got a damn good reason to make more. Very few franchises have ever managed to go far beyond that point without becoming shit, and I like the first two Spider-Man films a lot. I'd rather have a good trilogy than an ever-diminishing series...

Can't wait for "Spider Man 7:Attack of the Clones"!

Venom and Sandman are supposed to be the villain in "Spider Man 3" now.

Some bastard is lying to me, and as soon as I find out who, I'm going to smash their fucking skulls in! No one lies to me about Spider Man movie villains and lives!

Venom and Sandman will be much better than Chameleon. Best to save him for "Spider Man 4".

Looks fuckin' aces. This is clearly Sam Raimi's "You didn't like the Green Goblin costume? OK, I'm sorry. Does this make you happy?" gesture, and I for one deeply appreciate it. :)

I already like the supposed casting of Topher Grace as Venom (notice he's only listed as "Venom" anywhere, NOT Eddie Brock)...it indicates hopefully that Raimi is going to try and make the character a little more interesting than "musclebound tabloid photographer hates Spider-Man, gets cool costume, tries to eat brains."

Ideally, Venom is only introduced and built up in his human form this film, and doesn't actually "become" Venom until the very end of this one as a cliffhanger or even until the next film. More than one villain always seems like a bad idea (unless it's a second tier, one note baddie like the Vulture or the Lizard).

I fully anticipate, and hope, that the Venom presented in the film will differ massively, in origin and backstory at least, from the one in the comics. I'm not fully conversant of the details of the Ultimate Universe version, but the original Marvel Universe Venom origin story is (a) ludicrously complicated, (b) derived in part from a massive cosmic 'event' which there is no chance of the film-makers replicating, and, most importantly, ( c) utter shit.

Really...it goes something like this, if I recall correctly. Spider-Man goes into space for an epic gladiatorial contest with most of the other Marvel heroes and villains (Secret Wars), damages his costume, and accidentally replaces it with a magical psychic black version which responds to his thoughts. On his return to Earth, he subsequently discovers that, far from being a simple magic shape-shifting costume, it is in fact a symbiotic alien life-form which wants to bond with him permanently. With the help of Mr Fantastic, he fights the evil costume off...whereupon it sneaks away, presumably to die somewhere.

Meanwhile, former hot-shot journalist Eddie Brock builds a reputation out of a series of interviews with a serial killer (who, incidentally, he only turns over to the police after several more murders have been committed). When Spider-Man catches the real killer (Brock's interviewee being revealed in the process as a fake), Brock's response is, naturally enough, to blame Spider-Man, nurse a seething hatred, then to kill himself when his life falls apart. But, just as he's about to do the deed...who should come along but the symbiotic costume, which bonds with him, creating a gurning villainous version of Spider-Man, with a taste for terrible puns, and some of the most garishly implausible anatomy this side of a Rob Liefeld comic.

If anyone can think of a way to concisely work that into the world of the cinematic Spider-Man, they're better at this sort of thing than me. I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that some sort of total reworking would be in order, if they feel they absolutely have to include the bastard in the first place. I'd rather they just use a different villain, personally (I've always liked the Vulture, but I can see why he might be deemed a bad idea for a major antagonist - but since that role's presumably going to be filled, in part at least, by Harry Osborne as the new Green Goblin/Hobgoblin, that needn't be a problem), but maybe that's just me.

Actually I've had that sinking feeling in the pit of mystomach ever since they announced that Venom would be in the movie for precisely the reasons that both Mojo and Mark have expressed. I never did see the appeal of the character. I guess the fanboys who wanted simple destruction were entertained, but I always felt cheated with the whole Alien-costume-turned-bad-guy storylines.

Ideally, we'd never see Venom at all in these films, but it's pretty much sadly inevitable given the inexplicable amount of fanboy love for him. Make it work, Raimi!

I was particularly disappointed to hear that Venom'd be in the next one since Raimi has repeatedly stated in the last few years ( during the period between Spider-Man and Spider-Man 2, anyway) that he really doesn't care for the character, and didn't want to use him. I really, really hope that the presence of Venom in the third installment means that he's changed his mind, and come up with a really good idea for how to use the character well, rather than that (sadly, slightly more plausibly) the studio/financial backers have intervened to insist on the shoe-horning in of a "bums on seats" fan-favourite.

Bah, your souls are all dead and decaying. Venom's just so much fun - how can you possibly complain about a giant evil Spiderman with teeth and slobber and a ravenous murder-lust?

...on reflection, possibly in the same way as I repeatedly complain about Bizarro.

Still, I'm thinking Venom, done well by Raimi, should make for some impressive visuals, if nothing else.

See, Venom's shit because that's all he is, and he's meant to be taken seriously. Bizarro is a lot of fun, because he's meant as a joke.

But yeah, separated from the context of a fuck-awful backstory, laughable motivation, and a one-dimensional character whose limitied initial appeal was rapidly worn out through nearly two decades' worth of abysmal stories, the visuals could be pretty cool, particularly if Raimi allows himself to go properly over-the-top, Evil Dead style. The horror-tastic operating-room sequence in Spider-Man 2 was one of the highlights of the film, so it's not as though he hasn't shown a willingness to bring that style of direction into play when it suits him...