Christian

Spider Man 3:SPOILERS!!!

the visuals could be pretty cool, particularly if Raimi allows himself to go properly over-the-top, Evil Dead style.

Sadly, that's the only way I can picture making a character as limited as Venom work, as a full-out "horror" character like from Raimi's older films, and there's little chance of that happening in a big budget PG-13 film spawned from the deepest gutsack of Hollywood.

AICN reports today that Bryce Howard has been cast as Gwen Stacey in Spidey 3. Now I really don't know where they are going with this flick...

spidey3teaser.jpg

apparenty, this is spidey in his normal suit... with the symbiot covering it in a black layer (EDIT: in fact, it's Spidey getting taken for a midnight swing while he's asleep by the Symbiote, apparently). so Venom is definitely in.

so Venom is definitely in.

Boo freaking yah.

Seriously, on the minuscule basis of that picture, I am now officially looking forward to Raimi's Venom (previously, only my inner 10-year-old fanboy was looking forward to it :p).

Im not buying the pic is off spidey in the sybiote suit it just looks like a dark pic to me ... but the pic has also filled me with hope because if thats an early release picture it looks like the films going to take a darker tone, think of all the other films all bright and yellow/orange coloured but this wow already excited.

Im not buying the pic is off spidey in the sybiote suit it just looks like a dark pic to me ... but the pic has also filled me with hope because if thats an early release picture it looks like the films going to take a darker tone, think of all the other films all bright and yellow/orange coloured but this wow already excited.

Sony confirmed this is Spidey in his black symbiote outfit when they sent out the pic to the newsmedia.

Then that's shit.

The "classic" black suit is one of the few revamps I did and still like...it was a very striking design that still reminded you exactly who you were looking at, but still was something exciting and new. Making the original costume "dark" is really just lazy.

I hope they don't rush this and make Spidey with the costume the bulk of this film, and Venom himself doesn't show up in full until the next. Sandman and Spider-Man dealing with an alien trying to take him over is plenty for 3. If they HAVE to do Venom (ech!), I really just hope Raimi is allowed to do it his way and make him tolerable. If he makes a Venom-heavy film entirely like he made the hospital scene with Dr. Octopus, I'm all for it.

Well whatever the general consensus is on Venom as a character, I bet Raimi is going to make him/it/whatever at least somewhat compelling on film, like the poster too...

Raimi stated he doesn't like the comic book character of Venom at all and only ever wanted to use him if he could find an interesting way of using him in the flick. so, I guess he managed that, at least in his own opinion?

Sony confirmed this is Spidey in his black symbiote outfit when they sent out the pic to the newsmedia.

See now that looks good and iv just pissed my self in excitment

i also think the costume is good- Black is what matters anyway, in my opinion. If there is net instead of two white logos, i (possibly) dont care much, but i dont know much of Spidey so i understand if its maybe not too good for others. But me likey- I love Spideys film-suit and it looks marvelous in black too. I hope the Movie tiself will also be darker with Venom etc.

It makes more sense to have the venom suit just be a darkened version of Spidey's regular digs.

In the comics, Spidey didn't have many changes for decades until the venom get-up, so changing it completely was ok. Especially for a built-in, long-standing audience.

For the movie, the filmmakers kind of have to keep it simple, and that's understandable. Just so long as the "Iron" Spidey suit never makes it to the big screen, I have no costume complaints.

That looks fucking rubbish. I actually quite like the black Spider-Man suit, but what makes it work is that it's not just a spray-painted version of his normal costume. Have a look at this:

ppspsm101.jpg

What makes that image work (it's one of my favourite comic covers ever, incidentally) is the stark contrast between the black and the white. It's an incredibly simple design, and that's the strength of it - it would work brilliantly on film, too. Without that white emblem breaking up the solid black of the figure, though, it just doesn't make sense - the whole figure becomes one solid block of colour, which doesn't stand out anything like as well. The fact that it's textured exactly like the "normal" costume just makes it worse - it should lose the ribbed patterns which usually mark the boundaries between red and blue areas, for a start, as they serve no purpose beyond cluttering the image without the colours.

I have to say, there is a slightly dated, cartoonish look to the plain black and white. It looks fine in a comic, but I'm not convinced it would work so well in a live-action film.

Anyway, Spidey's black suit is only a plot device leading to Venom. So as long as Venom himself looks good, it's all a-okay by me.

If anything, what you said about the black costume is actually much more true about the classic red and blue costume, times infinity.

The movie poster looks like that absurd Spider-Armor I posted evidence of a short while ago...

armor.jpg

Yeah, the picture is huge. The awfulness cannot be understated.

Well, i know the black suit looks superb in comic, but i also think that wouldnt quite work in film- a totally black costume with two white logos?

No, imho, because there are far more colors in real life than in a comic. And the film wont be in black and white anyway; theres many influences of light and shadows on the costume, thats why i think like this its ok.

Only the story should be fking cool.

If not, than we have a problem. Like this, its ok for me. But i understand your grief.

(And i have to say i like the Spidey-armor too. Only the eyes shouldnt have armor, thats stupid. And it should be wholly covered. And another material. Without shining.).

That looks fucking rubbish. I actually quite like the black Spider-Man suit, but what makes it work is that it's not just a spray-painted version of his normal costume. Have a look at this:

The fact that it's textured exactly like the "normal" costume just makes it worse - it should lose the ribbed patterns which usually mark the boundaries between red and blue areas, for a start, as they serve no purpose beyond cluttering the image without the colours.

I'm ok with the texturing, as long as they have the black costume cling to him while he is wearing his original costume. It would meke sense for it to take the same shape, then.

If he's not wearing the red-blue costume underneath, then this does look ridiculous.

Oh, it probably makes sense, plot-wise (although if it is meant to be a symbiote coating his costume, they've really missed out on the opportunity to come up with some wickedly creepy, smooth organic textures). It just looks rubbish, is all.