sethos

Faster than a Speeding Bullet

When is this movie set? At the beginning of the Superman story or does it pick up on a later part?

it's set 10 years or so after the first two Superman flicks. that's right, instead of making a fresh start they are continuing with the old ones (well, the two decent ones). After Superman II Superman apparently left the earth to look for Krypton and now he returns, only to find Lois married and nobody really eager to see Superman return.

no really, that's the basic plot, it seems.

I can see where they got their inspiration:

004.jpg

Superman's really just an abusive husband underneath. I can picture him sitting in his faded tights on the couch, throwing large objects into the kitchen demanding a sandwich.

I can picture him sitting in his faded tights on the couch, throwing large objects into the kitchen demanding a sandwich.

Like the Daily Planet globe?

i dont like this superman film like i didnt like the previous superman films or smalville, altough the 4th decade gets better. this is the only adaptation of the next ones that i dont want to see.

the series with teri hatcher was good tough.

why do much people like superman and smallville?

I don't like Smallville much, but I like the original Superman because it's one of the best superhero films ever made. Period. Sure, it's dated a little now, but in terms of capturing the spirit of the original characters it's based on, taking them seriously yet still making them work, and crafting a thrilling, moving story for non-comic fans, it's still to be beaten. That's why.

I don't like Smallville much, but I like the original Superman because it's one of the best superhero films ever made. Period. Sure, it's dated a little now, but in terms of capturing the spirit of the original characters it's based on, taking them seriously yet still making them work, and crafting a thrilling, moving story for non-comic fans, it's still to be beaten. That's why.

oh, I love Superman I and II, but I'm not so sure making a semi-sequel to that after all these years is a good idea. look at Superman III and IV, for example.

I'd have to agree with that.

well i dont know the superman comics, i read a few when i was a kid thats all, because i dont like these superhero things except spiderman, and sandman and hellblazer are the only comics i really like altough i dont know much. so maybe as adaptation its top notch but as film i didnt like it. but i saw it a long time ago. and as i said, i dont like often these superherothingos.

KNEEL BEFORE ZOD.

I like the premise for the new movie, not sure about giving Lois a kid though - images of terrible kiddy sidekick spring to mind (Superbaby!?).

Since the Newcastle issue seems to be a hot topic today, I thought I'd post the following. Somehow it just seems so wrong that a location associated with Constantine is being co-opted by Superman, especially when Constanteen is famous for throwing away all the the nuances that make the character who he is.

Superman Returns to Film in Newcastle

Source: Newcastle Herald

November 7, 2005

The Newcastle Herald reports that the Superman Returns production will film in the city this month:

THE heart of Newcastle will be shut for a week this month and transformed into downtown Metropolis when scenes are filmed for the $400 million Hollywood movie "Superman Returns".

Warner Bros has confirmed it will begin filming on the blockbuster sequel in Newcastle in a fortnight.

While much of the filming will take place at the Art Deco University House (formerly Nesca House) in King Street, City Hall and Civic Park will also be part of the backdrop for the Man of Steel's latest adventure.

www.comingsoon.net

Wrong Newcastle. This one's in Australia.

Well I feel stupid now, especially since I knew they were filming a large portion of the film in Australia. I thought I had also read that they were doing some of the studio portions in England, so I guess my mind just took a flying leap in the wrong direction. It's forty lashes with the kryptonite whip tonight as punishment. ;)

I love the shot of him jumping through the cornfield. and that last shot of him in space, suddenly racing back to Earth.

still think he looks more like SuperBOY than Superman though.

Quite a few things about this film are really appealing to me, but the whole project still seems a little confused. They've got a solid cast, all of whom are around the right age for an origin story - Routh would be perfect as a young Superman, first starting out - but they're doing a 'RETURN' story, the kind of thing which, almost always, relies on a pre-existing attachment not only to the characters, but to these versions of the characters. As it is, they're making significant changes to the Superman universe as it's known to even the most casual fans of the previous movie - Lois has a kid, ferchrissakes - and expecting the emotional attachment from films made almost 30 years ago to still be there. It sounds like an interesting set-up for a film, but I can't imagine it being the best way to re-start a franchise. How much more ace would it have been if the same cast and crew had started with one or two more "classic" Superman films - reintroducing the characters as people remember them, getting audiences used to the new cast, visual style, etc. - and then followed up with the big, emotional Superman Returns-type story?

I'm prepared to like the film, but I have real trouble understanding the motivation for doing it this way.