sethos

Faster than a Speeding Bullet

Given that the whole concept of the character revolves around "derives his powers from Earth's yellow sun", I was certainly on the brink of standing up in the cinema and shouting "just put him on the damn roof, you fools" when the conclusion of the film involved letting Superman recover from his injuries in a room with no windows. So, more sun during that bit would have been nice.

As Christian points out, the doctors wouldn't have known that. Mind you, I did expect the kid to go and open the blinds while saying something like, "he needs to be in the sun, mommy" or something equally sickening.

Are you sure they wouldn't have known that? It's certainly well-known in the comics' universe, and since this is a continuation of the Donner films (in which Superman is pretty open about his origins, particularly to his pet reporter Lois), I just assumed it was public knowledge. I suppose there's nothing in the film to confirm it either way, though.

Given how heavily the "solar-powered" thing was emphasised visually during the preceding half-hour or so of film (including several shots of Superman flying up above the clouds and basking for a couple of seconds before flying back into action), it did seem like something which, at the very least, the audience was being made very aware of, which is why I actually noticed the sudden contrasting darkness of the hospital scenes in the first place. Just seemed like a weird stylistic choice, I suppose.

I suppose there's nothing in the film to confirm it either way, though.

Was it public knowledge in the Donner films? If I were Superman, I'd make every effort to conceal potential weaknesses from my enemies. Especially if my enemy was someone like Luthor, who could build a giant, solar-ray nullifying machine or smother me in kryptonite sun cream.

I'd like to see Darkseid done right and maybe The Parasite (as a secondary villain?).

Jesus...Darkseid done correctly would emotionally fuck up an entire generation of kids.

But good call nonetheless.

Unfortunately, Darkseid, like Apocalypse, is a hard character to "get right." But Jesus, if someone could nail the character, especially on film---- well, that would be some dark-ass shit right there. That's a Superman film I'd be interested in seeing.

I'd like to see Darkseid done right and maybe The Parasite (as a secondary villain?).

Jesus...Darkseid done correctly would emotionally fuck up an entire generation of kids.

A generation of fucked up kids.

MrBurnsExcellent.gif

True. Darkseid is a character that maybe Morrison lately has put to good use, but otherwise he's become something of a lukewarm rip-off of Thanos (which was somewhat of a rip-off of Darkseid at the time).

Personally, I thought Ellis' ULTIMATE NIGHTMARE Gah Lak Tus (stupid stupid reimagining of the name, btw) was more like an updated sci-fi Darkseid than a version of Galactus. It was governed by the ultimate "anti-life" principle.

I think that a film version, unlike Ellis' massively-delayed-but-still-rushed Ultimate Galactus, would still need some sort of central personification.

Just imagine the DARKSEID IS posters on buses everywhere.

I think that a film version, unlike Ellis' massively-delayed-but-still-rushed Ultimate Galactus, would still need some sort of central personification.

Just imagine the DARKSEID IS posters on buses everywhere.

That's sort of what I liked about Morrison's 7S MISTER MIRACLE. Darkseid was "marketing" the "anti-lifestyle" rather than promoting it as a philosophy akin to the fascist movement. Morrison also once made the point that nazism was developed by failed mystics, artists and poets. Really, that would be a very personal and in depth presentation of the character, Darkseid as a being who could have been God if he only had the talent - since he doesn't he would rather destroy life rather than face his own failures creating it.

A generation of fucked up kids.

MrBurnsExcellent.gif

If Michael Ironside was used as the voice, as in the animated series', rest assured the fucking up would begin with gusto.

Just caught this on DVD and loved it. It had a couple of faults but I'm sweeping them under the rug because the movie was so good. The only thing that didn't fit was the girl that played Lois. She couldn't cut the mustard.

I don't know where else to post this. I did a search for Smallville and this thread had the most mentions, ergot...

You mean to tell me that show ran for 10 years and he was Superboy the whole time? Did he ever get to be Superman? Wasn't he like almost 30 when it ended? I'm not ever going to watch it to find out because I watched it once and what I saw made Full House and the Nanny seem like quality programming. Please someone tell me so I don't have to look it up.