sethos

Faster than a Speeding Bullet

this has to been seen to be believed http://www2.warnerbros.com/supermanreturns/videoblog/

Brian Singer's video journal, the best one so far is No. 7 where Brian is called to Wellington Australia so he can fill in for Peter Jackson on King Kong because Peter is 'a little bit tired'. to start there a random dressing room cameo by Sir Richard Branson, who offers Brian a plane so he can fly out to Wellington

its funny as hell, Brian has no clue what he's doing, Jackson keeps dozing off mid-sentence and Naomi Watts is totally pissed off, but in that wierd hollywood way of not actaully saying it.

it ends with Jackson asking Brian if he could get up at 6am tomorrow to be on set by 8am so Jackson can sleep in till noon. The vacant look on Brians face is fantasic.

What kinda crazy world are we living in where because Peter Jackson is a little tired that Bryan Singer flies from an entirely different country to fill in for him. :o

Is this real? or just a very elaborate joke?

No if i recall correctly, there was really someone who filled Jacksons shoes for a while, because he owerworked himself.

Dont know if it was Singer though.

Edit: He doesnt appear in the IMDB KK credit list, so he directed only for a very small time that it wasnt so significant or it was really only some sort of joke.

its not a joke, he did fly from Sydney to Wellington to fill in for Jackson.

anyway #26 is really funny, James Marsden does a spot on impression of Brian Singer right down to what seems to be his catch phrase "is this safe?".

even when im hearing this music i have to laugh in my inners.

OK, Hags, I know you dont like it when I do this but its the most honest reaction I can give:

:blink:

You're more hung up on film music in your reviews than any person I've heard talking about movies (and fair enough, nothing wrong with that) but I'm surprised you find what is possibly one of the best and most rousing scores in film history Funny!

And again, I have no issues with your finding superheroes (in movies or otherwise) silly but then I find it hard to understand how you liked a movie about a leaden-faced cancer patient who talks to angels and devils, shoots demons with a Holy Shotgun (!!!!!!!!!!!) and does magic with the tats on his forearms.......

Abhi, was it really worth responding to a post made FIVE MONTHS AGO just to get in another dig at hagren for having different tastes in cinema to you? You know I love ya, dude, but really - this might be the time to accept it, let it go, and stop hassling the poor guy about it. He's never going to change his mind, and you're never going to change yours, so what's the point?

Mark : Ach, no problem, but thx :)

Abhi:

Yeah, i know, im extremely picky on filmmusic :)

Requirements:

It has to underline the film, but shouldnt be in the overweight/the only decent thing.

Its a big plus if you can listen to it separatly (Requiem for a Dream) or if its stored in public mind (Pulp Fiction eg- Though that can be also bad, when its to present and it unnervs you after a while).

Why i like film scores so much is that imho its a big tool for creating atmosphere and to rise emotions and sensations in any medium.

And if its badly done, or not fitting, it can destroy the atmosphere, professionality, measurement or enjoyment of a film for me.

Like, what would Diablo be without its classical-guitar-stringed music (Ok thats a game)?

Or Requiem for a Dream or Lord of the Rings without its extraordinary score?

I meself dont know why i have such a deep relationship with music and why its so important to me.

Maybe because my mum has musician roots.

Or because i have a method to embrace music as deeply as no one else i know (sans 1 person i only heard of).

Or maybe because i overrate music-

Cause music is linked to feelings for me, to memories etc- and because of that it occurs often that the music stands for a certain sensation or picture.

And this particular ONE TRACK (not the whole score, i saw the film a long time ago, theres just one song i hear everytime, in parodies, remakes etc) is that i never liked Superman so much and my friend, who likes to ridicule SM, comes always to my mind when i hear it.

And while maybe its a very good score (I never said its bad, i cant know cause im biased) it will, out of that reason, always amuse me.

N bout Constantine: Easy.

Because i find Angels and Demons mysterious, but i dont see any mysthic in most of the superheros, theyre mostly more easier-going and too overdone/simplicistic (Nothing bad with that, i love an entertaining superherofilm, its just not so stern to me).

I dont have anything against someone who uses tatoos to perform a spell, because for me it falls into dark category, what i dig.

All this ghost stories, things we dont know or see, which make us angsty, you know.

And for me the Holy Shotgun was meant as parody, so i didnt take it serious and had a laugh on cost of it.

And it doesnt look too bad.

Of course this seriousness can also go into the wrong direction when you have to laugh about how serious something takes itself when it isnt.

Like talking skeletons.

But maybe im an old-fashioned, supersticious and religious guy-

Or just too easily frigthened/wondering.

Though i also dont take everything dead-serious and can take a laguh about something that actually isnt such fun.

Oh and theres nothing wrong when you add your two cents, i like to explain meself and see other persons points, thats how i learn :)

Abhi, was it really worth responding to a post made FIVE MONTHS AGO just to get in another dig at hagren for having different tastes in cinema to you? You know I love ya, dude, but really - this might be the time to accept it, let it go, and stop hassling the poor guy about it. He's never going to change his mind, and you're never going to change yours, so what's the point?

You're right! I didnt NOTICE it was 5 months ago. Someone had bumped this thread and I just read all the messages I hadnt seen before and assumed they were new. I never look at dates. But yeah, if I'd noticed it was 5 months I wouldntve bothered.

Though to be honest, I didnt see it as a 'dig'. I was genuinely baffled by this. It was only the second part of the post that was dig-ish and well within my rights as a digger since I've seen many people make similar.

I think I'm going to have to take away your spade privileges Abhi, it's for your own good mate.

The whole Hagren/movie thing is just one of life's mysteries it is completely inexplicable. Just learn to accept it.

I think I'm going to have to take away your spade privileges Abhi, it's for your own good mate.

The whole Hagren/movie thing is just one of life's mysteries it is completely inexplicable. Just learn to accept it.

oi you, gimme my spade back. Only Mark has forum policing privileges :icon_evil:

I dont want to be STHs mister bad taste :(

Don't worry Hagren it's not that you have bad taste it is just that you seem to have tastes completely opposite to Abhimanyu and many other people here.

But even if you were STHs mister bad taste don't be downhearted you seem like a nice guy.

I think i dont have a bad taste, its just that im "different" as many people, but everybody is, even if a bit :)

I mean theres no certainty in anything, everyone thinks otherwise.

Theres most times no good or bad, not only one definite direction.

But i do watch for quality and i really try to see pros and cons and to explain why i chose that opinion.

Oh and theyre not completely opposite, i did agree with everyone in cases, with some on more, with some on less, but i think that goes for most of us.

Its just that im so often seem as "Mr nothing knowing weird tasted guy", and i dont like that because i really care about films on a high level, everything related n posting my opinion bout them, what they think, discussing; and i dont want to be looked like that just because of what i think (Or because i liked Constantine eg., im not the only one).

Because i aint such a guy who sees films like Fast and the Furious as a masterpiece, though i rate trough genres etc.

Its not that easy, "Your wrong" and *woosh!* dismission, theres so much more behind our thoughts.

Btw, are you someones alter ego or are you just so seldomly in vicinity of the net/computer (Or dont you like to be often on it)? :)

Oh and im not upset or anything, im quite in a good mood, so dont be angry or ennerved guys, i dont want to annoy or attack anyone (or bringing myself in the victim position), i just want to make a point.

And know what you think about it.

(I know, im repeating myself, i apologise)

Newcastle, Australia is a couple of hours away from my hometown. Odd to think they filmed part of a Hollywood movie there. Be prepared for lots of vacant-eyed bogans in the crowd scenes.

I've seen shots of Brandon Routh in costume, and he seems too physically unimposing to be convincing as Superman. Whether you see Superman as cornfed all-American boy, or as squinty rockjawed 50s patriarch, Mr Routh's weaselly-faced look doesn't fit. Am I being too Superficial?

While we're going back 5 months or so...

MARK:

only Spider-Man II and Batman Begins are really in the same league, for me

I'm surprised. I thought Batman Begins was one of the dumbest movies I've ever seen. What did I miss? What did you like about it?

It wasn't flawless (while a nice idea, the Neeson-as-Ra's reveal didn't quite work, some of the editing of the fight scenes was too choppy, the science of the water-evaporating microwave emitter doesn't stand up to even a few minutes' casual thought, and the final action scenes were a bit on the generic side), but as a cinematic interpretation/origin story for a long-established character, it was close to perfect.

It wasn't a literal transposition of the comics' version(s) of various characters, but the core aspects of the comics were all present, correct, and spot-on. Bale was perfect as Bruce Wayne, and good as Batman (I was happy with the rough edges of his Bat-persona because it was a "Year One" story - hopefully he'll be a little more assured and natural in the sequel), the film's take on Gotham City was great, Gary Oldman as Gordon was a master-stroke of casting, the careful use of several minor Bat-villains in supporting roles was a gratifying nod to the comics (much better than the "only one or two villains, plus generic thugs" format of so many comic-book movies, particularly the previous Batman films), it did a superb job of incorporating elements from various older Batman stories, both well-known and obscure (particularly Year One, but there were loads of other ideas/characters/scenes in the film which came directly from the comics - the writers clearly spent a lot of time researching the character, and it really showed in the film) and several of the changes/additions made to the origin story actually improved on it. As a superhero origin story, it was emotionally-engaging, respectful to the source material, well-acted, well-paced, thoughtful, and (more-or-less) plausible. It created a coherent, interesting world which has plenty of room to develop naturally and convincingly in the sequels, and the fact that, up until the final half-hour, it consistently prioritised character over dumb spectacle was incredibly unusual for any big block-buster action movie, let alone a superhero adaptation. As a film fan, I thoroughly enjoyed watching it, and as a Batman fan, I was ecstatic to see the character finally done right in a (non-animated) movie.

I thought the characterisation of Gordon was spot on, no longer the buffoon he's previously been portrayed as but a proper cop, a good man in a corrupt department.

I also think Batman Begins was good.

There were some stupid one-liners, its a bit too one-coloured, a tad dull and too monumental to view it often, but how they described Waynes metamorphose to Batman, the cast, the jokes, the design/CGI some music and the seriousness/"realism" of everything was super-cool.

It wasnt this bubbely anymore.

Fair points, all; and yeah, I thought Gary Oldman was ideal as Gordon. A re-watch is on the cards, methinks.

It's a real shame that the "Lois has a kid, Superman's been away for ages" angle is so fucking stupid, because almost everything else about that trailer is fucking AWESOME. Spacey's Lex Luthor looks great (better than Hackman's version, which was one of the few weak links in the otherwise-flawless original film), the plane rescue sequence is breath-taking, and even Routh is growing on me - he still doesn't look remotely convincing as Superman, but his Clark Kent is spot-on.

Damnit.

Now that I've seen more actual film of Routh in costume rather than just stills, he looks a lot better and more Super-er.