JohnMcMahon

The Vertigo Thread

There was marginally more to it than that - Ellis has been talking a fair bit on his recent Bad Signal e-mails about how many people he hears from who don't have a comic store anywhere near them, and actually sent out a mail with a link to the book on Amazon, suggesting that people who've been curious should buy it. His next e-mail went like this, a few hours later -

Well, well.  Five hours ago, SCOTT PILGRIM #1 had a ranking

of 15, 704 on Amazon.com.  It's now around the 1700 mark.

And listed on the 25 best-selling GNs at Amazon (11, when

I looked.)

Amazon rankings don't directly translate into sales, of course.

But I think you can see a bit of a difference there.  Including

being listed on a "one level up" callout page as a best-selling

title.  Bringing it more attention.  And in this gig, attention  is

power.  And power calls to power, oh my chilluns, oh yus it

does.

(forgive me, I've just stabbed my brain with an 18-year-old

Highland single malt, 64% vol with a kick like George

fucking Best.)

That's a better rating that PILGRIM had when the film

option was announced.  How fucked is that?

And this is what I'm talking about when I crap on about the

power of curation, evangelism and getting the fucking

information out there.  Consider this a small, flawed

but nonetheless pleasing illustration.

Quite impressive, still.

Shades of the glory days of the WEF when you could get your new project in front of 3,000 possible buyers with the click of a mouse.

Scott Pilgrim is still just kinda meh though.

There's a bit of a discussion about this over at Fanboy Rampage at the moment, and I do think they have a point...where, exactly, are people who aren't already interested in indie comics meant to find out about them? It's like the "getting non-comics readers to read comics" debate, only even more self-contained and circular.

Shades of the glory days of the WEF when you could get your new project in front of 3,000 possible buyers with the click of a mouse.

Scott Pilgrim is still just kinda meh though.

You have no soul!

There's a bit of a discussion about this over at Fanboy Rampage at the moment, and I do think they have a point...where, exactly, are people who aren't already interested in indie comics meant to find out about them? It's like the "getting non-comics readers to read comics" debate, only even more self-contained and circular.

well, this is the thing: Scott Pilgrim has already sold pretty well (I think it's in its third printing now), and I think pretty much every comic book website has given it a favourable review. Oni Pressis also pretty good at getting these books into bookstores, where most of the manga crowd in the states get their kicks.

that said, I think sales will get much higher once the movie arrives. if it's succesful.

Oh, dear Lord! "Otherworld" is doing better than "Lucifer"?! I have officially given up on this world now! "Otherworld" really shouldn't be doing better than any book, in a sane world.

To be entirely fair, I suspect that Lucifer sells quite well in trade form.

Yes, probably....but still, NOTHING should sell lower than "Otherworld".

Even Oliver North with the superpower to run around naked in neighbourhoods at 3 in the morning shooting his gun deserves to sell better than "Otherworld"!

Oliver North with the superpower to run around naked in neighbourhoods at 3 in the morning shooting his gun

Hell, I'd buy it.

I thought she did some of the very early issues, let's see if the internet knows....

...she's listed as being one of the artists in the Dream Country and A Game Of You trades anyway.

I thought she did some of the very early issues, let's see if the internet knows....

...she's listed as being one of the artists in the Dream Country and A Game Of You trades anyway.

oh, yeah, now I remember: she did that issue with Elemental Girl, I remember reading an interview with her where she said she was pissed at the inker for fucking up her line work.

I have vague memories of her being a huge favourite with Goths and the like, isn't she doing an OGN with JMS for Marvel now ?

I have no idea. I do know A Distant Soil is big in goth circles.

What a shit title, though. Even worse than "Regenesis".

Agreed on the art, the blurb makes it sound like something that escape a UK con pitching session.

"It's an edgy horror about a slacker superhero..."

Actually, now you mention it, look at this quote from the interview:

Artistically, Testament allows Sharp to cut loose a little more than a traditional suphero book, or even something from his own Event Horizon would.

Event Horizon being the book published by... MamTor. It's all connected.

Swamp Thing: Spontaneous Generation

by Rick Veitch (Author) (Paperback - January 1, 2006)

Yay!

Yay indeed! between this and a third Doom Patrol trade, there might be hope for more Delano Hellblazer in trades after all....

Doubtful, since Doom Patrol is selling on the combined power of Morrison's name and its own legend. Swamp Thing is selling because people were sufficiently entertained by Moore's stories to try out Vietch.

Hellblazer isn't a big enough name and neither is Delano, unjust though it may be...