JohnMcMahon

The Vertigo Thread

Whereas I'm just rubbish at remembering...um...stuff.

Me too. To an extent that seriously interferes with my reading of monthly titles. I cant for the life of me remember even major plot points that occurred two issues back. Its quite sad, really.

EDIT:Actually, now that I think about it, I think we're underestimating Vertigo, at least a bit, as unless I'm not thinking of a comic title or I never head of it, I don't think we had ever seen anything like the following in comicdom:

2.Morrison's Doom Patrol

Was a DC Comic.

So Vertigo simply ended up playing catch-up? I could have sworn Sandman was the first all-Vertigo "mature" title...

Most of Vertigo's glory days existed before it did!

Pretty fucking much.

Even Transmet started at another imprint.

Didnt Transmet start with Wildstorm, then move to Vertigo.

Pretty fucking much.

Even Transmet started at another imprint.

Didnt Transmet start with Wildstorm, then move to Vertigo.

Transmet started under the Helix imprint, which was an all sci-fi line of books. Although I think it may have been called something else for a bit, then the name changed.

Nah, it was called that from the beginning, it just changed houses.

I'm the one who has always said Vertigo was at its best before it was Vertigo!

But, I think everyone is being quite nitpicky. What were the books that launched Vertigo? Doom Patrol, Animal Man, Sandman, Hellblazer, Shade, Swamp Thing. What books are being reprinted in Trades as part of Vertigo? ALL of "Sandman", not just from "World's End" and up, same with the other "mature reader" DC books.

But, yes, Vertigo was far more intellectual and "cutting edge" when it was the back corner of DC called "Suggested for Mature Readers".

But, yes, Vertigo was far more intellectual and "cutting edge" when it was the back corner of DC called "Suggested for Mature Readers".

true, but don;t say that to Alan Moore or Frank Miller.

On a completely random Vertigo-related note, in the video for The Delays' song "Long Time Coming," are they supposed to be playing at THE World's End Tavern?

well thank you for making me watch that utter shite, and before anyone asks no you can't have a link, use google like a grown up.

i think that had very little to do with Sandman, they are at the worlds end and in a tavern but probably not the worlds end tavern, but only the video director would know.

bejesus them delays they do 'arf 'ell suck they do. what a statement that the same town spawned Benny Hill, Craig David and the Delays, why the fuck have i been living here so damn long.

Yeah, that Delays song is terrible. According to this, their influences were "The Prisoner", "League of Gentlemen" and "Twin Peaks", hence the shitty rip-off characters that appear in it. I really doubt it's supposed to be the World's End from The Sandman though.

So Vertigo simply ended up playing catch-up?  I could have sworn Sandman was the first all-Vertigo "mature" title...

That would have been the Engima miniseries.

How anti-climatic...

And now I feel like a silly shit for liking The Delays AND that song. I'm a sucker for the sunny-type, jangly power pop.

So I'll go sit in the corner now.

You know, I've been thinking over this "Vertigo was better before it was Vertigo" thing, and I thought about how it's even more true! Think about this:DC had a "mature readers horror anthology" in the 1980s called "Wasteland", which was blindlingly brilliant. Vertigo had a horror anthology called "Flinch" which was such a disappointment.

Coincidence or something FAR MORE?!

But getting back to the bigger question: Wesley isn't the only Sandman in the story. This first arc--and I do hope it's not the last--is a passing-of-the-torch story. The new Sandman never encounters the original, outside of dreams. But he does inherit Wesley Dodd's legacy--nightmares and all.

So it might become another ongoing? I might give this one a chance, depending on how much money - and room - I have by the time it comes out.