JohnMcMahon

The Vertigo Thread

I was hoping for more news on Vertigo from Wizard Con... if an update on an old character is all we're getting, it's going to be a boring year at Vertigo :glare:

Right now, I'm more interested in collecting the pre-Vertigo stuff in trades: Doom Patrol, Animal Man, Swamp Thing, Shade. The recent stuff isn't interesting me at all.

Sandman Mystery Theatre, from what I heard and read, was great! It's what I loved in old Vertigo - picking up old DC characters and breathing new, interesting life in them. The trades are on my to-buy list.

But is it really necessary to return to this character? Sandy Hawkins, a.ka. 'Sand' from JSA has already inherited Wesley's gas mask and pistol. Last I checked, he was a pretty cool character too.

So what's the point of a new update? I hardly trust Rieber with a mainstream comic... I'm afraid of seeing what he'll do with a 'mature' comic... most writers don't know what to do with Vertigo's potential, and I have no reason to give him the benefit of the doubt. The story sounds generic and like an excuse to go to the Middle East, because you know, that's what's hot now :biggrin:

Come on, he's not Matt Wagner, he's not Steven Seagle, quality-wise anyway.

Sadly, the only Shade TPB out there is shit. I'm reliably assured that the gets a lot better after the first couple of arcs, but the American Scream collection, while not entirely without promise, is pretty hackneyed, mopey-by-numbers stuff.

Shame it sold so badly as to put the clappers on any chance of the rest of the series being collected, really.

Well, it didn't help that it doesn't even collect that entire storyline.

If only they'd get to the haircuts...

And Shade back-issues are pretty hard to get in Portugal :sad:

I was really expecting Milligan to finally be recognised with New X-Men: that was the top-selling comic that was going to change everything; take him from semi-obscurity, make him famous, talked about on the net, possibly successful enough to convince DC to publish some more Shade and his other Vertigo stuff....

But last I checked, his X-Men run hasn't met expectations and is disappointing most readers. All my dreams are being shattered :blink:

In my experience, the problem with Milligan is that when he's good, he's excellent - but when he's bad, he really sucks. From what I hear, his X-Men run is falling firmly into the latter category.

I don't think the very last issue Shade was ever actually printed and if it was, any and all copies have long since been destroyed.

The start and end of Shade and aren't the May West but the middle is enjoyable, there's a good guest appearance by Constantine too.

I don't think the very last issue Shade was ever actually printed and if it was, any and all copies have long since been destroyed. 

The start and end of Shade and aren't the May West but the middle is enjoyable, there's a good guest appearance by Constantine too.

What was wrong with the very last issue? Andwhy was it destroyed?

A lot of things are hard to find. Hell I still need to get the HB issues I'm missing, and a ton of other stuff has well.

I actually liked the "American Scream" story-line the best of "Shade". The series is really good, besides some spots where it just lost my interest.

Luis, too bad you aren't in Michigan! "Shade" comics sell horribly here, and most stories chuck them into their 25cent bins.

John-All the final issues of "Shade" are being used as door stops at comic book stores here in Michigan. Some sort of shipping error, I've heard.....

Milligan's "X-Men" has lost a lot of readers, so it's not going to do the Milligan name any favours. He just can't cut it when it comes to mainstream comics. Give him "X-Statix" or "Shade", and he blows your mind. Give him "Elektra" or "X-Men" and he looks totally lost.

Right now, I'm more interested in collecting the pre-Vertigo stuff in trades: Doom Patrol,

I read in Comic Shop News today that a 3rd Doom Patrol TPB is on it's way - oh joy!

Yep - and it contains the first appearance of Flex Mentallo, which is encouraging. Of course, the origin story, which is what caused DC so much trouble in the first place, won't be reprinted until the next trade, if there is one, but we can hope, eh?

I'm sure Dan Didio confirmed back when Vertigo was cellebrating its 10th anniversary, that Morrison's completeDoom Patrol was getting traded... maybe I misread it, but I think we can just relax :smile:

Guest spiderlegs

I thought the Invisibles was some greatness. I think some of those issues were Vertigo's peak, well, those, Transmet, HB...

I'm sure Dan Didio confirmed back when Vertigo was cellebrating its 10th anniversary, that Morrison's completeDoom Patrol was getting traded... maybe I misread it, but I think we can just relax  :smile:

Yes he did, at the first Bristol con I ever went to.

i remember, you squealed like a little girl with a big lolly.

although i recall the vagueness surround the the Flex issues.

i think this was before the hulk incident, man was this years con so boring that we are reminissing about the con from the year before?

Sadly, yes.

After the talk I asked that short American guy with the beard and loud shirts if they're definitely reprinting all of Doom Patrol and he said they would if sales were right. He also said that they'd be keeping Flex off the covers.

Rich Johnston's since said that the way they can get around this is that the agreement DC signed said that they couldn't use Flex in promotions or as a way of advertising the Doom Patrol trades. Since Morrison's a big name they're using him as the hook for the DP trades and not Flex.

was Dan Didio there? are you sure your not thinking of Scott Dunbier? bit fat guy with a beard.

<edit>

My web searches show that Didio was there in 2003 but not 2004.

WC_17_ScottDunbier.jpgdidio.jpg

and nobody was fucking there in 2005