JohnMcMahon

The Vertigo Thread

OK, that's good news for Doom Patrol fans (err...like me, if I didn't already have all the issues), but (age-old question alert!) where does that leave the Flex Mentallo TPB? I wants it. As does everyone in the world, ever, even if they don't realise it yet.

As mentioned before, they could double it up with the Doom Force Special and that issue where Danny the Street has the Jack Kirby-esque dream and pitch it as some kind of "alternate reality Doom Patrol" collection. Get whoever was drawing at the time (still Richard Case?) to do a great Jack Kirby-style cover and don't mention Flex Mentallo except in tiny writing on the back of the jacket cover. It doesn't matter because word will get around to everyone that it contains Flex Mentallo and sales will still be ridiculously high.

they can use the name but not the image for publicity can't they?

black cover, large silver embossed "Flex Mentallo", job done.

or if they can't use the name then just have it as a black cover like that metallica or spinal tap album, that'd be cool.

I read Flex for free after downloading it. It's alright. I wouldn't pay for it though.

Now, this is odd...

LOVELESS #2

Written by Brian Azzarello, art and cover by Marcelo Frusin.

The gritty new Western miniseries by the incomparable team of Brian Azzarello and Marcelo Frusin continues.

But look at this article:

Like 100 Bullets, Loveless is a series with an ending. “I think it’s going to run about four years, unless they’re right and Westerns don’t sell,” Azzarello joked. “I’m at the point where I don’t have to do a series – I could do a miniseries, and then another, and create a bunch of different properties, but I’m committed to the serialized form of comics, and this is how I’m going to show that commitment, but doing something that’s long form like this. But, like 100 Bullets, I know the end, so yeah – it’s a finite story.”

So - what's going on here?

All the advance promo material has suggested that Loveless will be an ongoing title so I'm sure that's just a fuckup on the part of the copy writer.

I read Flex for free after downloading it. It's alright. I wouldn't pay for it though.

Really? Good grief. For me, it's one of the best things Morrison's ever written (which makes it, pretty much by default, one of my favourite comics). You weren't keen, eh?

I can't belive it either!

I liked his "Doom Patrol" better, but it's way up near the top of the list of best Morrison comics, and those comics at the top of the Morrison list are near the top of the greatest comics I've ever read list.

I'm not really a big fan of superhero comics and don't know enough about Golden- and Silver-age heroes to "get" the progression (although obviously I could see what was happening).

I know it's just all of Morrison's usual themes (worlds within worlds, one "layer" of reality affecting another etc.), I could have just done with an actual plot at the same time.

That makes sense to me - if you've not got the love for superheroes, Flex is unlikely to float your boat to a massive degree - it's one of the purest superhero stories I can think of.

There's a sale... on anything I get at Powerbooks - they have books and graphic novels only -

so far I've gotten whatever HB they have, and they're trying to get whatever Sandman they have (I told you guys it was difficult to get 'em here, didnt I?).

These they said they had (in addition to what I already have)

- Midnight Days

- A Game of You (the title intrigues me, if nothing else)

- The Kindly Ones

I am hoping these are good. I get 'em Friday (I go back to the business district for more bank stuff and a lunch date with an old friend (almost missed the R there)). Comments? Not that I can break my order -

I did try to get books of magic (James you recommended this - but alack! they dont have it)

"The Kindly Ones" is really the penultimate part of "Sandman". You're going to ruin the big surprise ending of "Sandman" by reading that one early.

"Midnight Days" is a short story collection by Gaiman. It collects most of the NON-Sandman related comics that Gaiman wrote for Vertigo, so it has nothing to do with the actual "Sandman" series, itself. It's really a wonderful book though! It even has a "Hellblazer" story in it!

That's crazy.

GenGris, make sure you leave The Kindly Ones and The Wake 'till last. In fact, if at all possible read the rest of them IN ORDER first.

James - I would love to read them in order or at least NOT read those yet but that's what they have - all they have - when I called - and if I dont get it now, it could disappear from the shelves and it will take forever to get back...and I'd miss the sale price

Christian - I know it isnt really on the Sandman but I wanted it anyway. Actually I was looking for Books of Magic since James said I should - and I wanted one with the Phantom Stranger. I used to read a lot of the Phantom Stranger, "eons" ago but ... not much choice over here

And if I buy it --- I will read it...

And hild, thank you for saying that. It (the out-of-sequence reading) didnt ruin any of your fun, did it?

- A Game of You (the title intrigues me, if nothing else)

I have always loved that title. As far as favorite titles go, it ranks right up there with the Farscape 2-parter, "Daedalus Demands" and "Icarus Abides."

No, this post has nothing to do with the thread. Yes, I have an odd fondness for snazzy titles. :happy:

:biggrin:

James - I would love to read them in order or at least NOT read those yet but that's what they have - all they have - when I called - and if I dont get it now, it could disappear from the shelves and it will take forever to get back...and I'd miss the sale price

Yeah, I wasn't saying that you shouldn't buy them, just that you should avoid reading them until you have the rest of the series.

And hild, thank you for saying that. It (the out-of-sequence reading) didnt ruin any of your fun, did it?

Not at all. It was a bit confusing, as I - obviously - didn't know exactly what had happened before and a number of details went over my head. I thought back then, and I still do, that it was a beautiful story and it made me want to read the rest of the series. The beautiful artwork didn't hurt, either.

edited because I missed James' post.

it wasn't that I chose to read Sandman backwards, it's the way it was published. First we got The Wake, then The Kindly Ones. It wasn't until I visited some friends in England that I got a chance to read Preludes & Nocturnes. Why would anyone think it's a good idea to start publishing a series with the last books it's beyond me.

Edited by hildegard h.

Yes James - but life isnt perfect, is it?

I no longer believe in waiting for - or postponing little delights ...life is too short to wait... if i were in the US, i might wait - because comic delights are easy to get - but here, it takes forever...(and there is no certainty), then no - I dont want to wait.

In short, I dont want to avoid reading them - as I take heart in Hilds saying that it didnt ruin any of his fun....and if I have a question, surely I can ask one of the guys here. You've all been helpful.

there are temptations that are easy to fall into - as the consequences are negligible... like this one. and once i get 'em all - i'll read them all again - in the right order, this time. Hope that will do. Thank you.

Besides how often can you fold time?

Ah well, just wanted to tell you, James - that I am trying to refrain from reading The Kindly Ones.

Before you think I have tremendously wont power - its because I got several more .... apparently the sales person took me at my word and dug up all their Sandman ones - so I got, aside from the first - Preludes and Nocturnes the following ones ....

Vol. 3 - Dream Country

Vol. 5 - A Game of You (like she said

Vol. 6 - Fables and Reflections

Vol. 8 - World's End

Vol. 9 - The Kindly Ones

and Midnight Days.

The effect the stories have on me is that I have this want to check my book of mythologies ...

But still, no Hellblazer ones. I wonder why? Oh well, maybe they'll get when the sale is over....

What James said. I made the mistake years ago and listened to some twit in a book store, who told me to start with "The Kindly Ones." I was slighty confused and "walked away" from it for a long time, but still knew there was something special there. Then I went back and bought all the trades and read them in order.