Christian

Favourite Comic Characters

Batman

John Constantine

Arseface

Delerium

but my knowledge is much more limited than most here.

Doom conquers America...GLORIOUS!

I think it might just be my favourite arc ever! It's especially brilliant when that fake Captain America shows up and Herod uses the forbidden weapons to destroy Doom... just remembering those giant flying spiders blowing up the White House with him inside leaves me crazy! Doom's revenge was also fantastic...

Didn't involve melting nanites into people's nervous systems?

And I love the implication that Cap was an ether-huffing nut because he had ice still frozen in his brain.

Yep, nanites :cool:

Doom 2099 was my introduction to weird, mind-blowing sci-fi shit! As I read more and more stuff, I began to see where Ellis was coming from, but I can't deny my initial excitement at reading the series.

Umm, a bit of both. The first 4 years of New Teen Titans was untouchable and Changeling was one of my favourite characters as a kid but I've not read the new series as, by and large, I find Geoff Johns' work somewhat akin to watching paint dry.

I'm liking some of Geoff John's stuff, his Robin is good but certain story lines have bored me, anything to do with Brother Blood really. Nothing great has been done with Garfield for a long time.

My list.

Not including J.C.

1. Jason Todd.

2. Tim Drake.

3. Jesse Custer.

4. Jack Hawksmoor

I had to rethink mine:

1. Daredevil

2. Usagi Yojimbo

3. Lucifer

4. Green Lantern (Hal)

I see I overestimated some of the Forum members.....

Doom conquers America was a damn fine story! Ellis was so damn good when he was at Marvel in the early-90s.

Anyways, Keeyah, you could've cheated and wrote Robin, and left us all wondering, just like I did with Sandman (and Lord do I pray that no one thought I was talking about the Marvel Spidey villain!)

Doom conquers America was a damn fine story! Ellis was so damn good when he was at Marvel in the early-90s.

Too true! Though he was one of the bad Daredevil writers I mentioned earlier in the thread, and I think may have even been the writer that ushered in that hideous armored costume revamp of DD.

And his Thor run didn't make much sense, nor was it very entertaining.

Warren Ellis only wrote 1 issue of D.D., I'm pretty sure! It was a detective story, or something. Not much point to it.

I think you're thinking of Chichester (or whatever the hell his name is!) who ruined D.D. in the 90s. God, he was awful! D.D. fights demons, D.D. fights Kingpin again only no one cares, D.D. changes his name, D.D. wears an armour costume.....It was unreadable bullshit.

I actually kinda enjoyed his run on "Thor". It was only 4 issues, and it's not like Thor has ever really been a readable character anyway.

Warren Ellis only wrote 1 issue of D.D., I'm pretty sure! It was a detective story, or something. Not much point to it.

I think you're thinking of Chichester (or whatever the hell his name is!) who ruined D.D. in the 90s. God, he was awful! D.D. fights demons, D.D. fights Kingpin again only no one cares, D.D. changes his name, D.D. wears an armour costume.....It was unreadable bullshit.

I actually kinda enjoyed his run on "Thor". It was only 4 issues, and it's not like Thor has ever really been a readable character anyway.

Yup, although the title was sliding by the end of Ann Nocenti's run, it was definitely Chichester that made the whole thing an unreadable mess of gobbledegook. Utter rubbish.

I was never a big fan of Thor, but I've got a few issues that I didn't mind. I liked the construction worker era Thor (with the glasses and the pony tail) and who can forget about Thor Frog? ;)

Yup, although the title was sliding by the end of Ann Nocenti's run, it was definitely Chichester that made the whole thing an unreadable mess of gobbledegook. Utter rubbish.

I was never a big fan of Thor, but I've got a few issues that I didn't mind. I liked the construction worker era Thor (with the glasses and the pony tail) and who can forget about Thor Frog? ;)

OK, then Ellis wrote his issue right around the costume change, because I got that story arc given to me years ago in a horrible 5-issue package, and I remember being stunned seeing Ellis' name somewhere in there.

80's Thor was plenty fun. Everything else is ponderous.

I love Ann Nocenti's run! She picked the series right after Miller's Born Again arc and did wonderful things with the character - Murdock losing his license, having to work with pro-bono organisations, the whole Typhoid Mary relationship (and didn't Nocenti invent her?), Murdock's growing frustration towards the law... it was all so sweet, and then she fucked everything up with Daredevil going to Hell, meeting Mephisto and Blackheart :blink:

However her last big arc, with Murdock losing his memory, Bulls's Eye stealing the DD suit, almost ruining his reputation, only for Murdock to snap out of it and beat his arch-enemy to a fucking pulp was beautiful! I constantly re-read this arc, probably more than I do Born Again :unsure:

Chichester's run was shit, yeah...

Nocenti created Typhoid Mary, yeah.

I really liked Nocenti's run, even during the "goes to Hell" story-line.

I quit reading the book right after the "D.D. goes to Hell" story though, so I'm not sure what her final issues were like.

Then, I picked it up again sometime in the early-90s to find that, even though D.D. was no longer in Hell, the book had gone completely to Hell! I dropped it so quick, and didn't pick it up again until the relaunch.

1. John Constantine

and uh...

2. Ogami Itto

then well....

3. Sir Richard Burton was used in a Superman elseworld story as well as in that first "Witchcraft" mini-series, if historical figures count.

then perhaps...

4. James Bond(?)

I liked Spiderman and Batman as a kid but I don't keep up the characters currently.

Guest Guest_andy_*

These wide-open questions are always the toughest:

In reverse order:

10. Christopher Rudd

9. Jessica Jones (in her NC-17 era)

8. Jenny Sparks

7. Magneto

6. Ultimate Thor

5 Clarice Sackville

4. Mitchell Hundred

3. Gemma Masters

2. Crazy Jane

1. Emma Frost (as scripted by Grant Morrison)

I'm unsure about this, though. Certain characters seem to work in tandem really well: for instance, the supporting cast of Ex Machina collectively might rank as high as #2. The same applies to Hellblazer's crazy quilt of Constantines and Chandlers (and Nergals, evidentlly). Lucifer would be on the list, but I've been feeling distant from the character himself for the past few years.

Excluding the obvious John Constantine

Invincible

The Flash (Wally West)

Spider Jerusalem

Dwight from Sin City

Honorable mentions:

Wylie Times from 100 Bullets

Mitchell Hundred from Ex Machina

Yorick Brown

Kyle Rayner

Seren (A Distant Soil)

is first, but the rest are in no particular order of preference

Jained (Raven's Children)

Courtney Crumrin

Hulk/Bruce Banner (modern)

Jane (Jane's World)

Mo (Dykes to Watch Out For)

Butchie (Naughty Bits)

Catherine Gore (How Loathsome)

Katchoo (Strangers in Paradise)

Here's my faves, more than 4 characters though, sorry!

Rorschach from Watchmen

Herr Starr and Cassidy from Preacher

John Constantine from Hellblazer

Agent Graves from 100 Bullets

Spider Jerusalem and President "Smiler" Callahan from Transmetropolitan

Kevin and Marv from Sin City

King Mob from The Invisibles(whom i have just been newly introduced to after spending a fortune buying Invisibles graphic novels this week)

...and a few from my teenage years....

Marshal Law

Judge Dredd

Missionary Man

Concrete

Hunter Rose

Here are my Vertigos:

4) Cassidy

3) John Constantine

2) Tim Hunter

1) Sandman

Here are my four Marvels:

4) Spiderman

3) Punisher

2) Nightcrawler

1) Wolverine

Here my DCs:

nearly made it (so I put him on 5) NIGHTWING (but has been beaten by Superman)

4) Superman (classic ever)

3) Batman

2) Joker

1)Hal Jordan

Here are my Dark Horse ones:

4) Alucard (YES! ONE MANGA CHARACTER MADE IT! But there can only be one!)

3) Quinlan Vos

2) Hellboy

1) Conan

And finally not to forget my favourite IMAGE characters:

4) Mammon

3) Ian Nottingham

2) Spawn

1) Jackie Estacado

That´s all folks!