Sign in to follow this  
Christian

Our Jonathan Vankin?!

Wasn't sure where to put this, so made its own thread in Comics.

This was part of a newsletter I receive written by the excellent political writer William Blum.

I found it interesting to see the name Jonathan Vankin! I wonder if its the same one who works for Vertigo?! I've never heard of any other Jonathan Vankin, and I know Vankin wrote all those "Big Books" from Paradox Press.

The conspiracy to trivialize conspiracy theories

Pierre Salinger, press secretary to presidents Kennedy and Johnson, died October 16. The Washington Post obituary included this: "His journalistic reputation was besmirched in the 1990s, however, after his insistence that two major airline crashes were not what they seemed. He said that the 1988 explosion of Pan Am Flight 103 over Lockerbie, Scotland was a Drug Enforcement Agency operation that went wrong -- a theory for which no evidence materialized."{10}

I quote this as an example of how the mainstream media deals with "conspiracy theories". When the incident in question first occurs, the "official" government explanation crowds the headlines and ignores the alternative explanations; the latter are confined to the alternative media, except when the mainstream media, for whatever reason, is obliged to make note of an alternative explanation; then it is dismissed without serious consideration, if not openly ridiculed. After a few years of this, in the minds of the vast majority of people the official explanation is all that exists. Then, when the mainstream media is obliged to make reference to an alternative explanation, it usually refers to it as having been "discredited", or, as in this obituary, lacking evidence. In the case of Pan Am 103, what the reader is not informed of is that no evidence has materialized in support of the official theory, that a Libyan government agent planted the bomb. There is, in fact, much more evidence in support of the DEA role (but primarily that of Iran) than of the Libyan role.{11}

"Conspiracy" researcher and author Jonathan Vankin has observed:

"Journalists like to think of themselves as a skeptical lot. This is a flawed self-image. The thickest pack of American journalists are all too credulous when dealing with government officials, technical experts, and other official sources. They save their vaunted 'skepticism' for ideas that feel unfamiliar to them. Conspiracy theories are treated with the most rigorous skepticism. Conspiracy theories should be approached skeptically. But there's no fairness. Skepticism should apply equally to official and unofficial information."{

what does he do at Vertigo? Isn't he the new HB editor? I hope this doens';t mead John C. will start trippin' on aliens, supersoldiers and el chupacabra...

Well, since the Chupacabra has been discovered to be a four foot long, emaciated, zombie dog don't think we have to worry about that one!

No, Vankin seems more for real-life conspiracies, so we'll J.C. tripping over the ghost of McCarthy, a CIA plot to overthrow the govt. of Guinea, military using LSD on soldiers.....