Sign in to follow this  
Red

Lucifer

I know a few of you are reading Lucifer regularly, and I feel like discussing it, so here's the place for that!

I was quite annoyed after the last issue. Strike that, I was actually kind of angry. Not because it's bad or anything (actually more the opposite), but because Lucifer is being such a pussy about things these last issues. One of the things I've always LOVED about Lucifer is Mike's portrayal of him. I like his arrogance, his cynicism and his willingness to act against anyone anytime. But now he's being bitchslapped all around the place - first Noema and now Fenris - and Mazikeen is the only one showing any kind of balls!

I realise that from a dramatic viewpoint, Mike has to bring Lucifer to a crisis-point to get the real resolution we'd like reading, but I want to see him go down in a blaze of glory, goddammit, not just fall to first and best spear tossed by Fenris!

In addition, the lilim have earned my undying scorn. Talk about ridiculous momma's boys! "So mommy says we have to destroy THE ENTIRE UNIVERSE (including ourselves) because some people were naughty to her some millennia ago? OK, let's go!" Not to mention Lilith herself, who has created new levels of petty all by herself. I really can't wait to see her get hers!

OK, end of rant.

Am I the only one to feel like this?

Lucifer has taken something of a backseat since his "death", which I hate. It's almost like Carey got bored of the Lucifer character.

Like "Hellblazer", I read "Lucifer" for the main character. Carey's writing and plotting is so in-depth and engrossing in "Lucifer" that I can still enjoy "Lucifer" without him, unlike H.B. without J.C.; but still, I do wish Lucifer would be playing more hands-on as the story comes to a close.

So, no, you're not alone Comrade.

An interesting thing is that both Lucifer and JC have been taking more "passive" roles at the same time. Since Mike's writing them in parallell, does that signify anything?

I was quite annoyed after the last issue. Strike that, I was actually kind of angry. Not because it's bad or anything (actually more the opposite), but because Lucifer is being such a pussy about things these last issues. One of the things I've always LOVED about Lucifer is Mike's portrayal of him. I like his arrogance, his cynicism and his willingness to act against anyone anytime. But now he's being bitchslapped all around the place - first Noema and now Fenris - and Mazikeen is the only one showing any kind of balls!

Yeah, but I think this is intentional. I reckon he lost some of his will on the road to Ygdrassil, just as Elaine lost her sight, Charlie lost his arm and Michael was cut to ribbons.

It was Lucifer's will (I think) that made his wings transform into their heavenly form inbetween The Sandman and Lucifer and having them replaced with the bat ones is supposed to symbolise his will being removed.

And I doubt Fenris has actually killed him altogether.

Yeah, but I think this is intentional. I reckon he lost some of his will on the road to Ygdrassil, just as Elaine lost her sight, Charlie lost his arm and Michael was cut to ribbons.

It was Lucifer's will (I think) that made his wings transform into their heavenly form inbetween The Sandman and Lucifer and having them replaced with the bat ones is supposed to symbolise his will being removed.

I agree on all those points. But my point still stands: I want an active protagonist! Remember the "Inferno" arc? He was WAY weaker then than now, but at least he DID things, and won through wit. Now he's just a shadow of himself. I'm pretty hopeful this will change soonish though, and the fact that Mike's made me "care" enough about the story for me to actually get annoyed at the way things are happening counts as a feather in Mike's hat, of course...

I know he whole story probably wont end up well for Lucifer, but I want to see him going out in style, as his good old self, not just fade away, if you catch my drift...

Wasn't Lucifer 'given' his bat-wings as a sign of his station in hell? The wings were cut off by Morpheus so Lucifer having no wings had to retrieve his feather-wings from that Japanese god to have more power. Then after his death he lost some power, and also due to the unraveling of all things Yahweh, he lost his feather-wings.

I think. :blink:

I dunno, he was pretty much fully restored to maximum power when he went into the Mansions of the Silence to get Elaine.

And he only got the bat-wings back after travelling to Ygdrassil, after it was established that walking the road to the tree would result in you losing some part of your body, mind or spirit.

I don't recall anyone saying that the bat-wings were forced on him by god, but I haven't read the Sandman in ages.

Those of you reading Lucifer who haven't checked out www.mikecarey.net should do so.

Especially the Lucifer Smiley Masterpiece Theater has reached new levels of excellence with "Hamlucifer - a play by Will Shake Spear"

It really is very very clever. And funny.

I'd like to say that my beard is now considerably more full and manly than this year-old photograph would suggest. But that would be a bit of a lie, so I'll stick to claiming that at least it's more neatly trimmed these days.

I'd like to say that my beard is now considerably more full and manly than this year-old photograph would suggest. But that would be a bit of a lie, so I'll stick to claiming that at least it's more neatly trimmed these days.

Honesty becomes you, Mark.

Also, I have since added a third dimension to my face.

Why? :angry:

I almost missed the new issue of "Lucifer" as the cover looked nothing like what I expect for Lucifer.

Glad I didn't miss it though....

Amazing issue! The talk between Elaine, Lilith, and Yahweh will stand as one of the greatest scenes in a Vertigo comic book ever!

Of course, Lucifer really didn't appear all that much in his own book, but that's ok because he had one of the most pivotal moments of this story-arc this issue with Fenris.

Agreed, Christian. This issue has vindicated every gripe I've had with the series lately.

Not only did Lucifer finally pull his ace out of his sleeve in an excellent final showdown with Fenris, but it also seems that it's him who is pivotal in deciding Yahweh's mind. I like the fact that Lucifer is taking the driver's seat in his own series, toward the end. We still have to see where this leads, but it's looking very promising at the moment. This issue gets 10 out of 10 from me.

This has little to do with the most recent issue but does anyone know when the key to hell replica was produced and if it was circulated at all? I can't seem to find anyone who had sold it before but I know it exists. I might be doing a Chris Rudd costume and it would be wonderful to find the actual key to hell, but I'm not opposed to making my own :biggrin:

And, now it has all been resolved, pretty much the way I expected it to. And a very good wrapping-up it all was, too. I'm stumped to find major plotholes or loose ends. A piece of work, if ever I saw one.

Now bring on the epilogue issues.

Yup, it's all coming to an end now. Shame. Nice to see Lucifer back in the driving seat at the end, though.

This has little to do with the most recent issue but does anyone know when the key to hell replica was produced and if it was circulated at all?  I can't seem to find anyone who had sold it before but I know it exists.  I might be doing a Chris Rudd costume and it would be wonderful to find the actual key to hell, but I'm not opposed to making my own :biggrin:

How's the costume coming along now? And are you going to make yourself a sword too?

After reading everything along with the last few issues, it seems to me that there is still a few of resolutions, characters that we need to revisit... what happened with that kid that lived with the emotion-molding spider-creature...? i thought that his story was left somewhat unresolved/open-ended, and that he would later play some sort of a significant role...

i'm sure there is someone else, but i can't remember, for the life of me...

I don't remember for sure, but I think that was a one-off story, without any further implications for the series. It all tied into that "destroy all Fantasy creatures" story, didn't it?

I really liked that story about the spider-creature.

Well, they had that kid leave off, and since it wasn't a one-of issue, but a storyline (and Carey even brought people from one-off issues, like that Angel/Detective guy with the biblical name, Solomon, was it?), i thought that something will come out of it. Especially since he seemed to narrate it at the age of 30, like it ws important what he will do next. i may be misremembering stuff, but lesser seen characters have made an impact so far.

Oh, and i love the look of Yhweh - looks like a fat old version of those two detectives from Tintin!

tintin-top_thumb.jpg

After reading everything along with the last few issues, it seems to me that there is still a few of resolutions, characters that we need to revisit... what happened with that kid that lived with the emotion-molding spider-creature...? i thought that his story was left somewhat unresolved/open-ended, and that he would later play some sort of a significant role...

i'm sure there is someone else, but i can't remember, for the life of me...

You'll be happy to know, then, that many hints indicate he features in the very next issue... Here's the solicitation:

At a storytelling competition in the lands of the centaurs, Elaine confronts the myths that have arisen from Lucifer's actions — and reunites with a mysterious boy from her past.

And previews seem to indicate that this is the same boy.